PPI before 2005

Hi,

I've tried searching the main threads for an answer but didn't really get anywhere so I wondered if anyone could help.

I was sold a loan policy by the Suntera Group (also operates as Grand Vacation Company) which was underwritten by GE Money Home Lending Ltd. I complained to both and both refused to accept responsibility so I took my case to the Ombudsman. Unfortunately their response was:

"Based on the information you have provided it looks like we can’t consider your complaint against GE Money Home Lending limited or Suntera Group. This is because your PPI policy was sold to you before 14 January 2005 – the date when these businesses selling insurance became regulated and had to follow specific rules on how they sold insurance."

What should I do now? Do I just hand everything over to a PPI Claims company and hope they have more luck than me or are there other avenues open to me?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    End of the road. You can't make another complaint even through a 3rd party.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,369 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Do I just hand everything over to a PPI Claims company and hope they have more luck than me

A claims company cannot change the date of regulation.
    A claims company sends the complaint to the same address you did and uses the same process. All they do is put a stamp on an envelope containing your complaint.

You bought the policy prior to that company being regulated. Its game over.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    cruddler wrote: »
    Do I just hand everything over to a PPI Claims company and hope they have more luck than me or are there other avenues open to me?
    Since you've already exhausted all possible avenues in pursuit of a pre-regulation complaint, there would be little point in employing a Claims Company to now try the same avenues. Claims Companies have no special powers or abilities and do nothing the complainant cannot do alone and for free.

Also note that you would also likely face a bill for wasting their time once the Claim company became aware of your previous unsuccessful attempts...
  • Thank you for all your replies. I guess that's it then :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport