Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • GeoffPotts
    • By GeoffPotts 12th May 17, 7:21 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Charities and Small Claims Courts
    • #1
    • 12th May 17, 7:21 PM
    Charities and Small Claims Courts 12th May 17 at 7:21 PM
    Hello All,

    Regrettably I need some advice. A charity owes me a substantial sum of money for which it looks as though I'm going to have to use the small claims system. They are now refusing to respond to me in any way.

    My question however is who do I send the claim to?money claim allows 2people I believe but surely the claim is against all trustees?

    I have asked for trustee information but again have been ignored. Help please?
Page 1
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 12th May 17, 10:20 PM
    • 38,491 Posts
    • 35,154 Thanks
    • #2
    • 12th May 17, 10:20 PM
    • #2
    • 12th May 17, 10:20 PM
    Trustee information will be on the charity commission website if it's not on their own website - click on 'find a charity' and then on the name of the charity, then on the 'Contact & trustees' link.

    Is the charity also a registered company? If it is, then the claim would be against the company rather than the individual trustees. I don't know anything about how the moneyclaim system works but I believe you can contact the courts service and ask questions, so I'd do that if it's NOT a company.

    Also is there a contract for your services / the goods / whatever it is the claim is about? If there is, who was that contract with - individuals or 'the charity' if that distinction makes sense.

    However, have you sent a Letter Before Action stating that you'll be taking legal action if you're not paid? That would be your final step before actually using MoneyClaim. Google will give you examples.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • Aquamania
    • By Aquamania 13th May 17, 2:15 PM
    • 1,963 Posts
    • 789 Thanks
    • #3
    • 13th May 17, 2:15 PM
    • #3
    • 13th May 17, 2:15 PM
    ... I don't know anything about how the moneyclaim system works but I believe you can contact the courts service and ask questions, so I'd do that if it's NOT a company. ...
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    County courts will give advise on how to bring about a small claim e.g. what forms to fill in (and presumably help similarly with moneyclaimonline)
    However, they do not give legal advice such as who to address a claim against or the likelihood of success.

    The rest of your post is good advice in the circumstances. The OP needs to identify who it is they believe the claim should be against. Referral to the original contact is a good start, as you suggest.

    If the OP still does not know who their claim is against, I would suggest they seek independent legal advice. You can usually get free initial advice (or perhaps it may cost 5 or 10) for a quick chat (up to half an hour) with a solicitor. See the CAB for a list of local solicitors that will provide this.

    Unless the matter is extremely complicated, I would have thought it wouldn't take a solicitor too long to identify who the claim should be brought against.
    If its the trustees individually, then your link will help the OP identify them.

    The LBA needs to be addressed to the same legal entities.

    And before that, the OP should try and resolve the matter amicably. If the OP does not know who the claim should be against, then they can not even started the process of resolving the matter amicably with those allegedly liable.
    Last edited by Aquamania; 13-05-2017 at 2:19 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,841Posts Today

7,809Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin