Paypal Alternative

Options
Hi ,

I am a small independant online retailer selling mostly refurbished / used
musical instruments 95% my sales
are online through ebay / reverb .

I am looking for an alternative to paypal as the fees are taking a big
chunk of any profit I make , I know most people prefer to use paypal due to the ease of use but
fees are killing me .

Can anyone recommend an alternative or a Debit / credit card system which is both cheaper and safer .

I looked into getting a debit card machine but not too sure how safe they are in terms of sending items .

any help would be much appreciate d.

Comments

• paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    PayPal fees are higher than some payment processors but they're pay as you go. Substantial rate cuts require substantial volume commitments - are you doing £5k/month for instance?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jehangir wrote: »
    Hi ,

I am a small independant online retailer selling mostly refurbished / used
    musical instruments 95% my sales
    are online through ebay / reverb .

I am looking for an alternative to paypal as the fees are taking a big
    chunk of any profit I make , I know most people prefer to use paypal due to the ease of use but
    fees are killing me .

Can anyone recommend an alternative or a Debit / credit card system which is both cheaper and safer .

I looked into getting a debit card machine but not too sure how safe they are in terms of sending items .

any help would be much appreciate d.

On ebay you have no choice and must offer paypal, even if you offer another service I suspect very few people will actually use it as paypal is so well ingrained.

I doubt a merchant account /debit card machine would be any cheaper anyway and as you would still have to use an online service for 95% of your sales probably not worth paying a monthly fee.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Unless you take out a contract with one of the big merchants, such as Streamline, Barclays etc then there is no better alternative to Paypal. The big ones charge a monthly fee and tie you into contracts.

The other PAYG merchants such as Izettle etc are just the same. Paypal attracts business, put your prices up accordingly, if the fees are killing you increase your prices.

If your not making enough profit to cover the fees then change your business.
  • bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you checked Stripe and Nochex?
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    PPPay are another alternative although, like stripe and nochex, you would have to offer a substantial discount to encourage your customers to use them.

If you have a Bank Account that supports it, then PayM is another method of billing.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• jehangir
    jehangir Posts: 155 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for everyone for taking the time out to reply . my sales can vary quite a bit month to month . I average around £4000 a month but my sales a seasonal as they do fall in the summer quarter .
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Options
    jehangir wrote: »
    Thanks for everyone for taking the time out to reply . my sales can vary quite a bit month to month . I average around £4000 a month but my sales a seasonal as they do fall in the summer quarter .
    You can always pass on the fees to your customers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure