Historical repair of bedroom ceiling because of foot through ceiling

Options

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    What's done is done, so unless you want to try and pursue the surveyor for being negligent, it's best to focus on whether or not (and how) to fix the problems. As others have said, that ceiling is easily fixed but as it's cosmetic and you have a new house with what sound like some more pressing problems, it's perhaps one to leave for another time.
  • Bexgrossman
    Options
    What's done is done, so unless you want to try and pursue the surveyor for being negligent, it's best to focus on whether or not (and how) to fix the problems. As others have said, that ceiling is easily fixed but as it's cosmetic and you have a new house with what sound like some more pressing problems, it's perhaps one to leave for another time.

Yeah I am going to, on all accounts
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    His cosmetic comments on the survey include the fence at the back of the house is corroded (yeah there a bit of rust, as expected, everything works fine), the garden will need landscaping, comments about when the house was decorated and the state of the bathroom/kitchen etc.

So why did he make comment to the above, they all seem like personal preferences. So I would rather he did look at the integrity of ceilings rather than the few trees need planting in the back garden. Back garden was completely overhauled within the past 2 years, so I don’t know what he’s talking about. How does a full structural survey differ from the cheaper ones.

It's nothing to do with the integrity of the ceilings... because it's cosmetic.

I feel we're going round in circles.
  • Bexgrossman
    Bexgrossman Posts: 143 Forumite
    edited 17 November 2019 at 1:01PM
    Options
    shortcrust wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with the integrity of the ceilings... because it's cosmetic.

I feel we're going round in circles.

I think you misunderstood. I replied to your comment ‘ The surveyor’s job is to look at the structure of the property, not the aesthetics’ and therefore I think a sagging ceiling is structure when compared to other he garden fence needs new fixtures. Does that make sense?

Going forward I need to know what signs I need to look for to know when it needs repairing. I’m sure people can appreciate that a sagging ceiling, plus gravity, sounds like it will fall down. Obviously skilled DIYs on this forum they can help me learn.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Going forward I need to know what signs I need to look for to know when it needs repairing. I’m sure people can appreciate that a sagging ceiling, plus gravity, sounds like it will fall down.

A lath & plaster ceiling that has severely cracked is at risk of falling down. A sagging plasterboard ceiling isn't likely to come crashing down. How to tell the difference ?
    Have a look under the insulation in the loft, and if it is lath & plaster, you'll see something like this -
    step-by-step_lime9.jpg
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Bexgrossman
    Options
    Thanks. I'll get a (bigger) ladder so I can get in the loft.
  • frugalmacdugal
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks. I'll get a (bigger) ladder so I can get in the loft.

careful you don't put a foot through the ceiling. ;)
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    This is something a surveyor could miss easily, or would see but not regard as significant enough to report on other than to take it into account when reporting or decorative condition of the house in general.

PS it looks like an old hatch that has been closed up as others have said.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If I were the surveyor, I would not have commented on what is almost certainly a DIY repair. Fit for purpose, but unsightly.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,665 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I did put a hole through the ceiling of our living room. The hole was far smaller than that repair. It was fixed, by a plasterer, so well that there's nothing to see.

Your repair is far too large for just a foot hole. Maybe an old loft hatch, a water leak, or the ceiling had to be cut back to the joists in order to fix it. Who knows until you go and have a look?
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure