Neighbours drying washing in their flat is causing me problem

Options
2»

Comments

• justjohn
    justjohn Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tilling directly to floorboards. bad idea. You being a PRo tiler I am sure you will disagree.

you do not say what flooring is in your other rooms. if its carpet surely the floors are damp in other rooms?

its a flat so not much you can do ...suck it up or move out.
  • stragglebod
    Options
    omendata wrote: »
    Legal advice on this one is tricky as i will have to prove they are at fault - any ideas folks?
    Yes. Your neighbours are not responsible for faults with the tiling in your kitchen.
  • couriervanman
    couriervanman Posts: 1,667 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 10 November 2019 at 1:05PM
    Options
    I live in a block of flats on the top floor - there is ground , 1st and top floor.

As a professional tiler I tiled my kitchen 15 years ago when i forst moved in here and have never had an issue until my new neighbours moved in 2 years ago.

It has been two years since they moved in and i am now getting terrible moisture problems on my double glazing and have black mould on my lounge wall but this is not the biggest problem.

The kitchen tiles have all started to crack and the bathroom tiles.
    I have had a look and it looks like the floorboards have warped.
    When i first tiled the kitchen i did an extra 101% job and actually double screwed evvery floorboard into the joists to ensure the tiles would be ok if i had a water spillage etc Most tilers would put a subfloor down but on this occasion i decided to avoid the common door entry lip problem and tile directly to the floorboards with flexible adhesive - yes it is possible and should work if its done properly although many tilers will tell you no to avoid the extra work!

One of my neighbours complained when these new neighbours first moved in about the fact that they hang their washing up at every window in the house and dont even open their windows to let the moisture out and at the time i didnt think anything more of it other than just nosey neighbour but now i realise it is what is causing the problems i am having.

One load of washing causes 5 litres of water to be dispersed into the air and as it has been ongoing now for 2 years it is now causing problems. My previous neighbour of 15 years always used a tumble dryer or the outside drying lines or in the communal garden but my new neighbours do not.

The new neighbours are from China and having been out there I know its a common thing for communal drying indoors but this is not China and I am a bit cautious as to how to approach this issue without getting all the race card wavers annoyed but it is damaging my flat and i am not sure what my legal rights are as they do not seem to be bothered abiding by our rules here in the uk.
    They already hit my car in the car park and caused damage then denied it when i confronted them and refused to pay for the damage even though they was a witness so I have already had to just suck it up and live with the damage.
    They are like most Chinese and are very insular and hardly talk to anyone in this block and prefer to avoid everyone which makes it hard to communicate other than by email!

Legal advice on this one is tricky as i will have to prove they are at fault - any ideas folks?

"When i first tiled the kitchen i did an extra 101% job and actually double screwed every floorboard into the joists to ensure the tiles would be ok if i had a water spillage etc Most tilers would put a sub floor down but on this occasion i decided to avoid the common door entry lip problem and tile directly to the floorboards with flexible adhesive - yes it is possible and should work if its done properly although many tilers will tell you no to avoid the extra work!".............

That's your problem....a bodge job,you should have done the extra work and used 15mm plywood sheets on the floorboards,but your the professional tiler so obviously know better;)
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    justjohn wrote: »
    tilling directly to floorboards. bad idea. You being a PRo tiler I am sure you will disagree.

I couldn't agree more.
    Wood is a natural product and even the highest quality, well seasoned boards that are securely fixed to the joists below are going to flex slightly and expand & contract a little bit due to temperature changes.
    If this wasn't the case, why are wooden floors always laid with a slight expansion gap near to the edges?
  • JimmyChanga
    Options
    Tiles will start to loosen eventually, regardless. Probably the reason rather than humidity below.

I'm not Chinese but I'm also not big into living in everyone else's houses around my way. There's a street clique headed by a few narcissistic sociopaths who think they own the whole road. Any small talk is usually to ply you for information or to lecture on 'how we do things around here'.
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,316 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I seriously doubt your neighbours are causing damp problems in your flat.

Flats should be sealed from neighbouring properties.

It is more likely a leak in your own property causing the problems.

Look a bit closer to home first and drop the racist attitude. It does you no favours quite frankly.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    No need to wave the race card, you've done a good enough job yourself. Honestly, your prejudices and generalisations are embarrassing, have a word with yourself.

I'm not going to advise you on your secondary problem. Frankly, you can sort it yourself.
  • omendata
    omendata Posts: 102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    No need to wave the race card, you've done a good enough job yourself. Honestly, your prejudices and generalisations are embarrassing, have a word with yourself.

I'm not going to advise you on your secondary problem. Frankly, you can sort it yourself.

Thanks i see the race card wavers are having a ball - low iq as usual

I guess you missed the bit where i said i lived in China for 10 years so I understand the culture and with Hong Kong the way it is you seem a bit slow on the uptake!

Its always about the race card isnt it - you cannot tell the truth in this country without being called a racist or homophobe etc etc etc
    Free speech truly is dead.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 November 2019 at 6:59PM
    Options

I guess you missed the bit where i said i lived in China for 10 years so I understand the culture and with Hong Kong the way it is you seem a bit slow on the uptake!

Its always about the race card isnt it - you cannot tell the truth in this country without being called a racist or homophobe etc etc etc

So do tiles fall off the wall or loft from the floors routinely in China? Because it's quite normal for people to dry their clothes indoors in this country too, given that our weather isn't great, and yet tiles onto seem to come loose when the substrate isn't good enough.

All houses move. That means that the joists move and your individual floorboards will move with that, as well as expanding and contracting with the weather/heating. It doesn't matter if you screw them down, they move. Wood moves. The purpose of using ply (or even better, cement board) is that the layers individually don't allow much movement, as well as larger sheets meaning less differential movement between pieces.

That's why tilers don't do it, not because they're lazy.

That's your problem. You've been told. After 15 years, the floor will have moved or be moving and you are going to have problems. You could have avoided the lip by removing the boards and laying ply directly onto the joists.

You're not telling the truth, you're expressing opinion which is incorrect, so yeah, you're being racist and also making sweeping generalisations about the people who think you are. There are some very clever people on this board who really know their stuff. The problem with stupid people, is they don't know that they're stupid. Tiling onto floorboards is never clever for the reason that it will not last...
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 18 November 2019 at 7:50PM
    Options

Errrm...I'm of HK Chinese descent. I'm well versed in my "culture".

Free speech isn't dead, thankfully. Just don't expect to get a free pass when you make your prejudices public. You deserve to be challenged.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure