Wanting to switch from bulb, but who to choose

According to all comparison sites I can save up to £192 if I swap over, but what a minefield to choose a company who isn't going to end up as bad as the chat on here reflects or reading the complaints on their FB pages.

I have semi smart smets2 and solar power

EON is the best saving

Used to be with Scottish Power before bulb and had no problem with them but reading on here........
3.78 kWp PV SolarEdge with iBoost South facing.
30° pitch roof 4% shading. Installed 6th June 18.
Gloucester

Comments

• thorganby
    thorganby Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Can you explain what you mean by "semi smart smets2" please?

If eon are the cheapest and you really have a SMETS2 meter, then eon should be able to communicate with it easily via the DCC and this switch would be of interest to many on here.
  • In my prescription haze... By semi smart i meant hardly working, like a high proportion of bulb customers, one energy missing on the IHD.

PS my elect mater is very temperamental, doesnt always show rate 2
    3.78 kWp PV SolarEdge with iBoost South facing.
    30° pitch roof 4% shading. Installed 6th June 18.
    Gloucester
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,101 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forget the IHD toy - the important bit is the meter in the outside box or in your garage. As long as that is communicating properly and you are getting your bills and you read them that all that matters.

Be very careful when you look at figures like £192 saving - this is based on the difference between your present suppliers standard tariff (ie expensive) (which you will be on once your fix ends) and the new supplier.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Robin9 wrote: »
    Forget the IHD toy - the important bit is the meter in the outside box or in your garage. As long as that is communicating properly and you are getting your bills and you read them that all that matters.

Be very careful when you look at figures like £192 saving - this is based on the difference between your present suppliers standard tariff (ie expensive) (which you will be on once your fix ends) and the new supplier.

Bulb only have one tariff, and it's variable ;)
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    GunJack wrote: »
    Bulb only have one tariff, and it's variable ;)
    Nope.

Bulb also have a smart tariff, and its peak rate is eye wateringly expensive, up to 41.94p/kWh ! :eek:
  • Gerry1 wrote: »
    Nope.

Bulb also have a smart tariff, and its peak rate is eye wateringly expensive, up to 41.94p/kWh ! :eek:

But is that particular tariff included on any comparison site? :huh:
    I'm not sure any comparison site is currently geared up to properly cater for such a complex tariff
  • I got quite a good deal with Bulb then CO-OP but because of my Scottish power meter i cannot switch!
  • omendata wrote: »
    I got quite a good deal with Bulb then CO-OP but because of my Scottish power meter i cannot switch!

Reminds me of an old Bernard Manning joke.

[Clean version for the politically correct world we live in now, so not as funny]

Man goes to his local green grocer for a bag of spuds.
    Shopkeeper says they are £15 a bag today.
    Man replies they are only £5 a bag at the green grocers down the road.
    So this shop owner tells the man to go and buy them down the road in that case.
    Man explains they haven't got any left down the road.
    So the shopkeeper says his are only £4 a bag when he hasn't got any

Man says "Thank you, I didn't know that. In that case, I'll come back when you've got none."
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Do not even consider attempting to switching supplier with your current metering
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6068625

Not sure why you would when you claim Scottish Power gave you £15k worth of electricity for nothing :cool:
  • Looking to move from Bulb as well as they seem to have got stuck in an expensive place right now. Their standing charge for Gas is almost 6p per day more expensive than EON who I am considering. Apparently you don't need to have a Smart meter with EON which appeals.

I need to do my sums again but looks like goodbye Bulb.
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure