Charged line rental but no line installed

Hi, I'm after some advice if possible...

I've been with virgin at my current property for 5 years, paying line rental at £19 a month. Due to high mobile costs to 08 and 03 numbers I bought a landline phone only to find that they haven't even installed a phone line to my property.
Virgin at first denied this would be the case, but after a short period on hold they confirmed that no line was fitted. Obviously I am a little miffed that I've been paying line rental for so long without a line, am I being unrealistic to expect some kind of reimbursement as they say I'm not entitled due to it being included as a bundle?

Any help would be great!

Thank you.

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    So in a nutshell it's took you five years to notice you were paying for a landline that you didn't have? Is that what you're saying?

Many internet packages now do it as "all inclusive", ie you pay £25 a month or whatever and it includes the line rental and the internet... you need to check exactly what it is you're paying for. I presume you have internet?
  • DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I guess it would depend if they offered a non-line-rental package and at what price.
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,407 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm with Virgin and we pay line rental even though it's not for the actual phone line as the service is through their cable network. OP, if you mean the telephone line to your property then you would need that to get BB. If it's through cable, would be a different matter. As others have said, depends what bundle you had. When I last reviewed Virgin it was cheaper to get bundles with landline than without.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 November 2019 at 5:18PM
    Was it you that ordered the initial VM install or did you move into somewhere that already had VM service ?, if it’s the first one, didn’t they demonstrate all the services you ordered ( including the phone line ) , if the property already had VM and you just asked them to activate service , why go for a line and broadband package if you never intended to use the landline ( although I accept quite often there is no difference in price between lone broadband and a line/broadband package, but this could work to VM advantage not yours when it comes to compo )
    Is there actually a VM master socket in the property ?, if not did it not occur to you that you couldn’t possibly be connected to their telephony, and if there is a VM master socket, presumably it did work at some point otherwise why would it be there ?
    As far as any compo , it’s difficult to see you getting anywhere, they could presumably argue that the cost of one service or two is practically the same, so what financial disadvantage have you suffered ?.
    Presumably going forward , they are going to install a landline,or bring the existing landline back into service , or change the billing from two service to one but the price probably won’t change, which could damage any claim for compensation
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Twiggy1111 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm after some advice if possible...

I've been with virgin at my current property for 5 years, paying line rental at £19 a month. Due to high mobile costs to 08 and 03 numbers I bought a landline phone only to find that they haven't even installed a phone line to my property.
    Virgin at first denied this would be the case, but after a short period on hold they confirmed that no line was fitted. Obviously I am a little miffed that I've been paying line rental for so long without a line, am I being unrealistic to expect some kind of reimbursement as they say I'm not entitled due to it being included as a bundle?

Any help would be great!

Thank you.

If you need phone line and it included within the package, ask VM to install/ activate it.

Make a formal complain to see if they give you some money back.

Having said that, every time I check VM price, the price of BB including phone line is usually cheaper than BB only.

How much are you paying VM now?
    Most ISP put up their price once after contract min term end.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure