Rent Guarantor - Too Much Information?

Options
I'm going to be a guarantor for my daughter's second-year student accommodation. The first step is to fill in a form that is asking for way more information than I ever had to provide the two times I've done this for her brother. Do I really need to provide my bank account details, NI number and next of kin? They're also asking for a copy of my ID plus proof of address. Basically, they're asking for every bit of information that someone would need in order to hack my entire life!

What is the minimum amount of information they need from me?

Comments

• bambinaUK
    Options
    I had this with one of my daughters private student accommodation leases.
    I queried why they were requesting the information and for what purpose and referred to the General Data Protection Regulations. Magically they then decided all they needed was a photo of my driving license as proof of ID.
  • icelari
    icelari Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 19 November 2019 at 10:41AM
    Options
    I'm going to be a guarantor for my daughter's second-year student accommodation. The first step is to fill in a form that is asking for way more information than I ever had to provide the two times I've done this for her brother. Do I really need to provide my bank account details, NI number and next of kin? They're also asking for a copy of my ID plus proof of address. Basically, they're asking for every bit of information that someone would need in order to hack my entire life!

What is the minimum amount of information they need from me?

The creditor has indicated to you the minimum information they expect to receive to hopefully enable them to assess you as a suitable guarantor.

It is entirely up to you what information you are prepared to divulge, if any.

Likewise, it is entirely up to the creditor to decide if they will accept you as a guarantor. Presumably they have already rejected your daughter in her own right, hence the necesssity for a guarantor.

ETA:
    This seems a peculiar time of year to be securing student accommodation.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    icelari wrote: »
    The creditor has indicated to you the minimum information they expect to receive to hopefully enable them to assess you as a suitable guarantor.

It is entirely up to you what information you are prepared to divulge, if any.

Likewise, it is entirely up to the creditor to decide if they will accept you as a guarantor. Presumably they have already rejected your daughter in her own right, hence the necesssity for a guarantor.

ETA:
    This seems a peculiar time of year to be securing student accommodation.

This is the time of year students sign contracts for accommodation, my daughter has just signed hers for her third year. I have to provide ID and address verification too as I did last year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure