The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries August 2019

Comments

• kadison
    kadison Posts: 3,662
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    lynseydee wrote: »
    You'll have to post your instructions as I specifically bought a hand blender for my soap making and I'm sure I've got most of the other stuff as well. Would love to make some shower gel with the soaps I've inherited somehow along the way.

The best I've managed so far was making hand soap/shower gel with some wool fat soap....I tried a small batch of this, using 2oz soap and a quarter of the rest....

8oz bar of soap, grated
    2 tbsps vegetable glycerin (optional)
    16 cups water (approx. 3.6L)

I heated it up on the hob until the soap dissolved, transferred it to a pyrex mixing jug and let it sit for 8-12 hours with a fly cover over it, it turned into a very dense jelly so I blended it using the stick blender, tried it and added the same amount of glycerin again as I wanted it to be more moisturising, my OH said he can't tell the difference between this and Carex so it must be good!
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2023
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend
    Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho Marx
  • sstevo19
    sstevo19 Posts: 1,491
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    One UU from last night:

Oral B Satin Tape 25m WDBA. Cheap and effective. Replaced with the one I bought the other day.
  • VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,819
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    [STRIKE]Lacura hot cloth cleanser[/STRIKE]
    Bath and Body Works Shea Butter hand cream
    Snake Venom eye cream
    Tweak'd hair mask
    Lacura Q10 serum
    Lacuna glycholic pads
    Liz Earle Skin Repair
    The Ordinary Rosehip oil
    Elemis Balancing Lime Blossom cleanser
    [STRIKE]Liz Earle Lavender and Rosemary shower gel[/STRIKE]

Lacura Cleanser UU. Love this product. Have another in stash plus original C&P. Won't need to purchase these cleansers for a while but getting low on my Elemis Balancing Lime Blossom Cleanser.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • Finish
    Soap and glory hand cream. Nice smell.

Wild rose shampoo. Nice Aldi shampoo but out of stock at the moment.

In
    Highlighter and sun screen.
  • sstevo19
    Forumite
    Two INs today:

The Body Shop Mango Shower Gel 250ml
    The Body Shop Camomile Cleansing Butter 90ml

Some treats I got for myself after my dentist appointment this morning.

And one UU from this morning:

SVR Sebiaclear SPF50+ Creme 50ml WDBA and will do. Love this SPF, its my favourite SPF. No white cast at all, which is what I'm looking for.
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Hi all, I have given in to Kiko sale when I was in Munich for a short break and bought 3 x pencil eyeshadows, 1 x eyeshadow palette, 1 x high pigmented compact eyeshadow and 1 x lip balm. Paid 20 Euros so not too bad..
    I also UU'ed 1 x travel size Verbana shower gel from L'occitane. I have also UU'ed Pixi Mud Glow Cleanser today. It is HG and WDBA. I have another one in the stash. I need a toner and probably will offer glow toner from Beauty Pie.
    ally.
  • ponypal
    ponypal Posts: 416
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I purchased the Aloe Vera sheet mask from Flying Tiger (I know, I know!) and it caused the worst skin reaction I have ever had. I wasn't even going to own up to it on here but then realised I ought to warn others off. It tingled so much, I thought it was just part of the process of it working but it was actually stinging and my face was so red and sore. DO NOT BUY.
    Anyway so that's an IN and a UU and a WNBA I wish I didn't have to report!
    Debt Free since December 2017#11 3-6 month Emergency Fund - £3,207.08/£6,000.00
  • VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,819
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    UU: Bath & Body Works Marshmallow Cupcake hand soap. So lovely but we seemed to go through it really quickly.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Been away camping since last weekend. Haven't had any uu's but a few things are going to be finished soon. I took a slice of soap for use as face wash in the morning and a slice of travel soap for body wash and shampoo. Makes travel toiletries so much easier.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • sstevo19
    Forumite
    One UU from yesterday that I forgot:

Impulse Instant Crush 35ml WDBA and have done. Love this scent. Cheap and cheerful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure