Why are we paying so much for plastic bags

Comments

• JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    pimento wrote: »
    I bought a coat on a whim in Debenhams a couple of years ago so didn't have my usual bag with me.
    I was prepared to pay 5p for a bag but wasn't happy when I was told that because I needed a bigger bag, it would cost me 10p.

I bet Debenhams can buy 100 polythene bags for 10p.

You probably could have still asked for a 5p bag and then really scrunched the coat up to force it into the bag. That would have shown them!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    JReacher1 wrote: »
    You probably could have still asked for a 5p bag and then really scrunched the coat up to force it into the bag. That would have shown them!

Or better still... asked them to cut the labels off and worn it home. :rotfl:
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    pimento wrote: »
    I bought a coat on a whim in Debenhams a couple of years ago so didn't have my usual bag with me.
    I was prepared to pay 5p for a bag but wasn't happy when I was told that because I needed a bigger bag, it would cost me 10p.

I bet Debenhams can buy 100 polythene bags for 10p.

The whole idea for the charge is to discourage people from using plastic bags. So if your happy to pay 5p then the charge isn't enough the fact the 10p price makes you unhappy then that makes it the right price.

But i always find it funny when people complain about a shop making a profit on items they sell, how dare they sell things for more than they bought them :rotfl:
  • Mansard
    Mansard Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    People who complain about a 5p (or even 10p) plastic bag charge need to be locked up, IMO. If you really are too tight to pay 5p for a bag for all your shopping, either don't go shopping, or - if you must - bring your own bag. I would never bring my own plastic bags into a supermarket. I happily pay the charge as it is more than useful to me. If I estimate I'll need two bags, I often ask for three just to be sure. Even if the bags were 50p, 60p or even more, I would still buy them as no way would I want to be carrying around old bags in my pocket and in to a supermarket. If you really can't afford a plastic bag there is probably no hope for you.

I realise why the plastic bag charge came about, to deter irresponsible people from throwing them in the street etc, but there doesn't need to be any problem if you are responsible with your plastic bags, and it isn't difficult to be so. But please, don't whinge about having to pay 5p for a bloody bag. When I see people juggling their shopping with both arms all the way to their cars, I feel so sorry for them. It almost makes me want to offer to buy their bags for them.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Mansard wrote: »
    I realise why the plastic bag charge came about, to deter irresponsible people from throwing them in the street etc.

No - the problem is the amount of landfill needed for plastic bags, plus them ending up in water courses and the sea, thus affecting marine life. A bit of litter in the street wasn't why the charge was introduced.

If you're buying new bags every time then you're still contributing to the problem, as the charge was to deter people from buying them and to encourage people to recycle (reuse) their bags.
  • Mansard
    DoaM wrote: »
    No - the problem is the amount of landfill needed for plastic bags, plus them ending up in water courses and the sea, thus affecting marine life. A bit of litter in the street wasn't why the charge was introduced.

If you're buying new bags every time then you're still contributing to the problem, as the charge was to deter people from buying them and to encourage people to recycle (reuse) their bags.
    For the record, I'm all for the war on plastic. The government should be doing a lot more in the war on plastic.

But as I said, what grates me is that most of these people who are complaining about having to pay 5p for a bag (which is very useful to them) couldn't care less about the environment. These people would still be taking them if they were free.

Adding a 5p plastic bag charge is not going to save the planet. It will take a lot of effort from the government (and decades of implementation) before anything meaningful is achieved and seen.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    People who complain about a 5p (or even 10p) plastic bag charge need to be locked up, IMO. If you really are too tight to pay 5p for a bag for all your shopping, either don't go shopping, or - if you must - bring your own bag. I would never bring my own plastic bags into a supermarket. I happily pay the charge as it is more than useful to me. If I estimate I'll need two bags, I often ask for three just to be sure. Even if the bags were 50p, 60p or even more, I would still buy them as no way would I want to be carrying around old bags in my pocket and in to a supermarket. If you really can't afford a plastic bag there is probably no hope for you.

I realise why the plastic bag charge came about, to deter irresponsible people from throwing them in the street etc, but there doesn't need to be any problem if you are responsible with your plastic bags, and it isn't difficult to be so. But please, don't whinge about having to pay 5p for a bloody bag. When I see people juggling their shopping with both arms all the way to their cars, I feel so sorry for them. It almost makes me want to offer to buy their bags for them.

Seriously, you pay for single use bags?

The levy was introduced to make the normal thicko aware of plastic in the envoirement

Obviously there are some who yet have to grasp this

I would rather struggle to the car with my arms full ( which I don't as the trolly does the job for me ) then pay whatever price for a bag, which can't be broken down without harming the envoirment
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Seriously, you pay for single use bags?

The levy was introduced to make the normal thicko aware of plastic in the envoirement

Obviously there are some who yet have to grasp this

I would rather struggle to the car with my arms full ( which I don't as the trolly does the job for me ) then pay whatever price for a bag, which can't be broken down without harming the envoirment
    For the record, I'm all for the war on plastic. The government should be doing a lot more in the war on plastic.

But as I said, what grates me is that most of these people who are complaining about having to pay 5p for a bag (which is very useful to them) couldn't care less about the environment. These people would still be taking them if they were free.

Adding a 5p plastic bag charge is not going to save the planet. It will take a lot of effort from the government (and decades of implementation) before anything meaningful is achieved and seen.
    I really can't believe that someone can say they're 'all for the war on plastic' and go on to say they buy plastic bags every time they go shopping.
    Deluded or what? <shakes head in bewilderment>
  • Mansard
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I really can't believe that someone can say they're 'all for the war on plastic' and go on to say they buy plastic bags every time they go shopping.
    Deluded or what? <shakes head in bewilderment>
    Hello Polly.

I need bags to carry my shopping home. I am aware of the problem with plastic but I am also confident that I use and dispose of mine responsibly. What happens when the binmen take my rubbish away is another matter (and out of my control), but something that is easily solved, in my opinion.

The government should outright ban the production of plastic shopping bags. Force shops to use only compostable and biodegradable non-GMO corn starch carrier bags.

Problem solved. Now on to the next...
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Has to be a wind up
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts