Pre-existing Travel Insurance Guide Discussion

Comments

• jouef
    jouef Posts: 117
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Mtbman wrote: »
    ... My policy says that I must inform them of any new medical condition and I will do this. However I am concerned what their response will be...
    MarthaM wrote: »
    Has anyone cancelled travel insurance because of illness? I paid for an upgrade on my flex plus a month ago and have now received a diagnosis which means I won't be travelling for some time. Is it too much to hope for a refund?
    I usually choose one of the few providers who do NOT require notification of new conditions arising during the policy period. They automatically cover them, as long as medical advice is that you are still fit for travel (if advice is against travelling, cancellation cover applies).
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    jouef wrote: »

I usually choose one of the few providers who do NOT require notification of new conditions arising during the policy period. They automatically cover them, as long as medical advice is that you are still fit for travel (if advice is against travelling, cancellation cover applies).

As you say, it’s a small number now, but a much better product.

Once upon a time all policies were written that way.
  • jouef
    Forumite
    Doc_N wrote: »
    #333 ... Once upon a time all policies were written that way.
    Thanks, I did not know that. I only realised the issue myself while reading the T&Cs of policies the comparison sites returned in my search. On a different matter, the cheapest three policies - for a beach holiday - respectively covered: (i) no swimming in the sea, (ii) swimming within 50 metres of the shore, and (iii) swimming within 12 miles of land! No mention of such variation, or indeed the variation in covering new conditions, in the comparison results, which were therefore of limited use.

The MSE article appears incorrect in saying: "If you currently have a policy but later develop a medical condition, you need to tell your insurer immediately ... it will not be included as part of your policy, "as this is usually but not always the case. As you say, the exceptions are better products. We should be better informed about them.
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,617
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite

And who are they?
  • jouef
    Forumite
    harz99 wrote: »
    And who are they?
    I hesitate to name particular insurers, as this seems to be a minefield. T&Cs differ wildly, as do we customers' needs. I can only suggest reading the T&Cs of policies returned by comparison site searches, as I do. This is very laborious, but also necessary for other reasons (eg my example of policies not covering swimming in the sea over 0, 50 metres or 12 miles from the shoreline). I was alerted to the reporting issue when I once saw a doctor just before a trip, then spent all day trying to get through to report it in time to preserve my cover. There can also be a timing issue for annual policy renewals (eg reporting a new condition arising after booking a trip which takes place after the next renewal). I prefer single-trip, and will avoid the cheapest if necessary to get adequate cover. I want to make sure I get the fairest approach to risk of both pre-existing and new conditions. I am currently with LV=.
  • hamski wrote: »
    Can't see any mention of this any where on forums ,
    Have just received a letter asking for £60 to cover pre existing conditions from nationwide flex plus that were previously not charged for(high blood pressure,thyroid,asthma) nothing very serious and under control .
    Add to this to annual fee and it becomes not very competitive (for me) looking for a non fee insurer as going to leave nationwide.Anyone have alternative recommendation

I've had a similar problem with Nationwide FlexPlus- at renewal I've been told it'll now cost me £90 to cover my existing medical conditions of mild asthma, polycystic ovaries and hayfever!? I literally only take 1 inhaler and monthly medication to manage heavy periods...and then just meds for my hayfever. All completely well-controlled.

I was thinking of keeping the annual cover, as it's shared with my partner, and his cover is fine...but then might take out an additional single policy just before any trips. I've never had an asthma attack, but I'm paranoid I'll end up having one abroad if I'm not covered (sods law!).

Do you think this would work, as the annual cover will cover me for cancellations etc beforehand and most other things?
  • jouef
    Forumite
    edited 18 August 2019 at 12:14AM
    Puffin123 wrote: »
    #337 I was thinking of keeping the annual cover, as it's shared with my partner, and his cover is fine...but then might take out an additional single policy just before any trips ... Do you think this would work, as the annual cover will cover me for cancellations etc beforehand and most other things?
    You may need to formally request that Nationwide exclude your conditions, otherwise they might regard you as having withheld information and refuse even an unrelated claim. They would not cover cancellation due to such a condition, so alternative cover would be necessary from booking. In any claim, you would have to declare the other insurer; as they are both on risk, they may share liability. You could cut the premium where possible by reducing or opting out of anything covered by Nationwide.
  • jouef
    Forumite
    #338 In any claim, you would have to declare the other insurer; as they are both on risk, they may share liability.
    And might this also mean paying each company's excess on their proportion, reducing any payout?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,865
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    I want to report a positive outcome.

We have annual travel insurance through our NatWest bank account. OH recently had a heart stent fitted and we are due to go on holiday in a couple of weeks.

I phoned the insurer to pre-declare the medical condition and they were happy to provide cover as we had booked the holiday before OH had any symptons. Even better there is no extra premium to pay.

For future holidays, they may charge a premium or decline cover, but for now we are covered for this holiday. :j
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    silvercar wrote: »
    I want to report a positive outcome.

We have annual travel insurance through our NatWest bank account. OH recently had a heart stent fitted and we are due to go on holiday in a couple of weeks.

I phoned the insurer to pre-declare the medical condition and they were happy to provide cover as we had booked the holiday before OH had any symptons. Even better there is no extra premium to pay.

For future holidays, they may charge a premium or decline cover, but for now we are covered for this holiday. :j

I wonder if it’s because you’ve, presumably, paid the full holiday cost, and they see the cost of a refund as more costly than taking on the relatively small risk of a medical claim.

It’s usually in the period between deposit and balance payment that they refuse cover.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback