Alternative role is identical to 'redundant' role; short deadline for decision

Options
My friend has been told that her job role is redundant, but that she can apply (alongside others) for a newly created alternative role.

What we find suspicious is that the new job is identical; 70% of the responsibilities listed are in her current role's job description, and the remaining 30% are duties she already carries out, at her manager's request. The hours and location are the same. Only her job title and salary would change.

Is this allowed? My understanding is that for a job role to be made redundant it has to literally BE redundant, i.e. the position is no longer required. How can that be the case if an identical new job role is being created to replace the 'redundant' one? This just looks like a sneaky way of cutting her salary!

Also, she's been told in her first consultancy meeting that she must decide within 3 days whether to apply for the new role. However, not all of her questions from that meeting have been answered. She's been told she'll have the answers 'within 3 days'! Is that not unfair? In particular, our understanding is that the consultancy period must last more than 30 days if more then 20 people are being made redundant, which is the case here.

Finally, is this new position considered 'suitable alternative employment', and if so is she entitled to a 4 week trial?

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    The question to ask is if this is a suitable alternative why do they need to apply they should automatically get considered.

What are the criteria for the selection pool that she is in.

If the salary is not enough reject it as not a suitable alternative and look for other positions that are suitable alternatives
  • Mister_Amara
    Options
    There are other people with the exact same job, but in other locations, who could apply. Theoretically one of them could prefer her location so apply for the role there instead of where they are now.
  • Mister_Amara
    Options
    Update: In her second consultation meeting she pointed out that the new job role was identical, refused to apply for it, and asked them to cancel the whole process and let her keep her current contract. And they did!
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    Update: In her second consultation meeting she pointed out that the new job role was identical, refused to apply for it, and asked them to cancel the whole process and let her keep her current contract. And they did!

You'll soon find out if they really want her out....something else will pop up in the next month or two
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • Mister_Amara
    Options
    You'll soon find out if they really want her out....something else will pop up in the next month or two

I don't think they really want her out. The others doing the same job as her in other locations ARE being asked to change location and role, but not her. She only seems to have been included in this 'restructuring' for the sake of consistency, because she has the same job title as they do. As her job isn't changing at all, her employer just relented immediately and accepted there's no genuine reason to go through the hassle of having her reapply for her own role when they're only going to give it to her anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure