MSE News: Barclays offers switchers double rewards for a year

Comments

• EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Like Ashen if Markboy112 is correct then I will be doing a complaint as when I switched in the branch the personal banker actually checked to see if he had to reset my Blue Rewards as I already had it activated and he was told no he just does a normal switch.

The T&C's clearly indicate that existing customer with Blue Rewards just need to switch and make their account a primary one. Also states to make sure that your nominated account for Blue Rewards is the one that you switch to.

I thought Markboy112 was just saying the online link didn't work if you were an existing customer, you have to go to a branch for them to [STRIKE]fiddle[/STRIKE] activate it.

Mind you, nobody at Barclays seems to know what a 'primary' account is, so there could be a lot of us making complaints in due course.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Ashen
    Ashen Posts: 592
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    EachPenny wrote: »
    I thought Markboy112 was just saying the online link didn't work if you were an existing customer, you have to go to a branch for them to [STRIKE]fiddle[/STRIKE] activate it.
    I don't think that's the case, the post mentions something not working if you're signed up to Blue Rewards, and I can't think of any online link that would only work for non-Blue Rewards customers. You can't start a switch online with an existing account, Blue Rewards or not.
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ashen wrote: »
    I don't think that's the case, the post mentions something not working if you're signed up to Blue Rewards, and I can't think of any online link that would only work for non-Blue Rewards customers. You can't start a switch online with an existing account, Blue Rewards or not.
    Markboy112's post immediately followed Katiehound's advice to another poster:-
    Katiehound wrote: »
    I clicked on the MSE article- quoted at the top of this thread, then clicked on a link well down that page and it took me straight there. HTH

It's not clear, but that was the basis of me thinking he meant the link "does not work", rather than the the offer didn't work. But hopefully he'll be back to clarify.

The other possibility is there is some confusion between the 12 month offer (open to existing Blue Rewards customers) and the May 2018 single month offer, for which you do have to be a first time user of Blue Rewards.
  • ronbell101
    ronbell101 Posts: 175
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    clicking on the switching service link in the original news article takes to me to APPLY and switch I have already opened the account I only want to switch to it now!
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ronbell101 wrote: »
    clicking on the switching service link in the original news article takes to me to APPLY and switch I have already opened the account I only want to switch to it now!
    As above, if you already have an account it appears the only way to request a switch is to go into a branch and ask them to arrange it.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,513
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Milarky wrote: »
    But now I'm locked out of the online application b/c Experian had to trawl ancient history for enough questions (and probably miscategorised it) to ask so I must 'book an appointment' to take in I.D. I can't just go to a bank brach and have it copied

Well, if you are intending to complete a switch you will need to go into any branch for them to check your ID anyway.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • Applied online as I have never banked with Barclays, seemed like a good offer to miss, with blue rewards and 12month worth of £11, so applied for switch online. Online it prompted me to take x2 IDs to branch.

I went in today, I felt like I walked onto a bridge of a space ship, I have not been to branch in such a long time, are they all like that now? Anyway I was put in a queue on a sofa (at least) to see an adviser even though there were staff loitering about on the floor seeking for customers to attend to, I was kept waiting, I thought to myself do I really want to bank here? After 15mins of waiting on the sofa the lady took my new Barclays debit card, brought my details up, she confirmed i did have blue rewards, then she proceeded to take details from my ID. Pretty efficient once I got seen, she didn't ask any other questions or didn't try to sell me any other Barclays product. I asked if I could delay my switch date as I thought 7days is too soon (because I haven't set up any dds with switching account) unfortunately she said it's part of 7day switch then as i was leaving she said it may not happen exactly on day 7.

Hopefully new DD set up on new Barclays account will count towards the incentive.

Has anyone had success of receiving incentive after they have set up new DD on Barclays account rather than switching x2 DD. I see the t&c doesn't distinguish that the DDs need to come from the switching account.
  • MDMD
    MDMD Posts: 1,419
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Applied online as I have never banked with Barclays, seemed like a good offer to miss, with blue rewards and 12month worth of £11, so applied for switch online. Online it prompted me to take x2 IDs to branch.

I went in today, I felt like I walked onto a bridge of a space ship, I have not been to branch in such a long time, are they all like that now? Anyway I was put in a queue on a sofa (at least) to see an adviser even though there were staff loitering about on the floor seeking for customers to attend to, I was kept waiting, I thought to myself do I really want to bank here? After 15mins of waiting on the sofa the lady took my new Barclays debit card, brought my details up, she confirmed i did have blue rewards, then she proceeded to take details from my ID. Pretty efficient once I got seen, she didn't ask any other questions or didn't try to sell me any other Barclays product. I asked if I could delay my switch date as I thought 7days is too soon (because I haven't set up any dds with switching account) unfortunately she said it's part of 7day switch then as i was leaving she said it may not happen exactly on day 7.

Hopefully new DD set up on new Barclays account will count towards the incentive.

Has anyone had success of receiving incentive after they have set up new DD on Barclays account rather than switching x2 DD. I see the t&c doesn't distinguish that the DDs need to come from the switching account.

You do not need to switch the DDs with the account . The promo is double blue rewards so as long as you have 2 DDs on the account you get double rewards. If you have one you get a reduced amount and if you have none you get nothing.

Not sure what the branch advisor is talking about the switch service means that the switch happens on the day you select, which will be day 7.
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Just a word of warning for those booking branch appointments via the phone.

I got through to a Muppet who was convinced I had to initiate the switch to Barclays by instructing NatWest. When I had enough of explaining and actually said that is just not correct. Can you put me through to your switching team please?, he went to speak to a colleague, and came back to tell me make an appointment with....NatWest.

I ended the call and just phoned back to speak to somebody else.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Yes I fell foul of the Experian questions as well and had to go into the branch today with ID to be fair they were really nice and open the account there and then annoying though that you can't even answer your own experience questions properly
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure