PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Comments

• I had a peanut butter sandwich with blueberries and green tea for breakfast.

I was going to go out to get a flu jab today and was going to get chips from the chip shop as we have some nice white rolls at home and fancied a chip butty.

I can't be bothered to go out now so I might just have oven chips with baked beans and the rolls later.
    kittie wrote: »
    That celery/broccoli and cashewnut soup is gorgeous, all it had in was that 2/3 head of celery and a small head of broccoli cashews and 2 garlic cloves and veg stock. It really was lovely, thick and creamy. My liquidiser made short work of creaming it. The three portions are just the right size for me, not too large and was totally satisfying with some crispy sourdough toast.

Mmm, sounds yummy!:)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good afternoon everyone,
    Kittie - proper scotch broth with mutton how fab, I'm jealous:)
    I've finished sorting out a massive on-line shop (I've been good and taken the stollen out, I'll get it next week;)) as I'm getting invaded this weekend:D. My elder son & his partner are arriving tomorrow evening until Monday, my younger son is up on Saturday for an overnight and I'm catering for 12 on Saturday night for my friend's birthday so I need plenty of supplies:).
    I've got beef skirt & links defrosting to make a stew for tomorrow night, unfortunately I need to go out for a few hours in the evening so want something that can be flexible re timings and just need heated up. Saturday it's "Tex-Mex" and we'll wing the rest.

Today it's soup and a roll for lunch and tonight I think it'll be chicken wings.

Holly, I fair enjoyed my cod and parsley sauce last night thanks for reminding about it. It was perfect with mash and veg for a stormy night.:)
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Afternoon everyone

I'm glad you enjoyed your cod last night caron.

Having had root around the fridge this morning looking for eggs, I realised that I had used them all. I seem to either have too many or none. You would think that as I like scrambled egg on toast for breakfast I would keep a better check on how many I have!

So I ended up making some porridge and having that with a few frozen berries stirred through. They defrosted quick enough though, so all was ok.

I met my sister in law in town this morning and she treated us to a sandwich and coffee at lunchtime so no lunch to get today.

I'm making Italian liver for dinner tonight, and will serve that with some rice. Not too much of an effort on the cooking front this evening :).
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,217 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Out and about I spotted a nice fresh cauliflower in the greengrocer's, not too big or too small, just right for 2 CFO size meals. It was an impulse buy as I was looking for dinner inspiration and that was it

Dinner is now cauliflower cheese, using the PN nuked cheese sauce method.
    And spotted this one, it sounds nice and cauli soup is a very likely on the menu this week, not sure what type yet
    kittie wrote: »
    Next one is caulie and chive,

I bought a 2 pack of YS salmon fish cakes in Asda, they will go well with the cauli cheese, plenty of goodies in there

Lunch was back to cheese salad sarnie
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Need2bthrifty
    Need2bthrifty Posts: 1,467 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Afternoon all,

Some lovely sounding soups on the go, though I'm not a fan of mutton, we always tended to have a bit of thick rib which was cooked in the soup, sometimes shredded in but very often served after with some boiled potatoes and cabbage. I love cashew nuts and sometimes have them in a curry but never thought of putting them in a soup, definitely something I'll try in future, I love thick creamy soup.

Started off with cornflakes and stewed apples this morning, then lunch was feta and beetroot salad with a slice of toast and I'm cheating a bit tonight with the last of my turkey meatballs in half a jar of curry sauce (just cause I can) having it with cauliflower rice and a side salad of red pepper, spring onions and tomato.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Farway wrote: »
    ...using the PN nuked cheese sauce method....
    Glad you found that handy.... people will say "thanks" the first time - it's only if/when they do it again and mention it that you realise they did actually find it good/useful :)

Nuking's not for everybody ... but, for me, it's second nature. Especially when it simplifies things, whether that's time, minimum quantity that can be made, or washing up effort. It's hard, say, to use an entire saucepan, to just make 2-3 tablespoons of cheese sauce....

I also use that method when making a Welsh rarebit. Make it all in the nuker, transfer to toast, grill it brown (well, half brown, I don't have the patience to wait!)
  • My "simplifies things" gadget is my Vitamix blender.

Read a tip re it today about how to get juice from fruit or vegetables using it. To effect of just chop the fruit and stick in Vitamix with a "bit of water". Cue for me wondering what definition of "a bit" would be.

Anyways....2 fair-size apples picked from one of my apple trees and duly shoved in there with a "bit of water". One very quick blitz and then I thought "I'm not looking out the nutmilk bag they suggest to strain it through". So I used a fine mesh nylon sieve.

Result = got a reasonable size glass of apple juice and it was nice. I've kept the fine pulp-y bit that was left in my sieve and shall put that on my breakfast porridge tomorrow.

I pronounce that experiment a success.
  • Just had dinner.

It was a "make a bit more effort" meal. So baked portobello mushrooms, sitting on a bed of sorrel (from garden), with onions, garlic scapes (from garden) and teeny bit of stock and yeast extract in water. Topped with few breadcrumbs and grating of parmesan cheese.

Eaten with salad of various lettuce, chicory, nasturtium leaves and tomatoes (all from garden) and tiny bit of beetroot leaves. Topped with dressing of yogurt, sumac, nigella seeds and gomasio.

Also baked sweet potato chips (with bit of garlic salt) and served with hawthorn ketchup.

Verdict = nom nom nom:)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I've always been funny about "hot milk" since I once had a nasty over-milky coffee made with hot milk, that had a nasty skin on it ... in the 1960s - and that still grosses me out."

omg I HATED that hot milk with skin on the top, I never had coffee with hot milk since, not ever, not since the 50s. I cannot drink neat milk now because of it and that is why I cannot drink normal milk over crispy cereal

My mother made something called stamppot, it was dutch. Carrots potatoes onions cooked in the same pan and mashed. I hated that with a vengance, it took me a long time to get to like carrots. It was probably too sweet for me, urgh

Money I admire your dedication. That would have taken me a lot longer to prepare than to eat and tbh I just don`t like cold leaves in this season. I have a vitamix too, hence the very smooth creamy soup, cooked in a pan first though. The juice idea is good, I would do that if I didn`t have a dedicated juicer

I have decided that I am having french toast tomorrow, I really fancy that with some brown sauce. To make up the veg, I`ll just do the veg on their own in a bowl, lol, I`ll call it a starter
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,217 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    PN, sometimes best to bite the bullet and bin stuff like unappealing soup, wasteful as it is. I know mine just had to go

The cauli cheese was a good 'un, and quick with the nuker for both precook cauli & make sauce. Finished off in the oven along with the salmon fishcakes

Banana / yoghurt / honey combo for pud

I remember the skin on milky coffee, but as a weirdo I used to eat that bit, actually slurp it up as disgustingly as only a ten years old boy can manage, along with rice pud & custard skin. Hated the blobs of cream in tea when the milk was on the turn

I had to look up gomasio, seems is is similar to furikake :D
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure