Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Today's list :D

THURSDAY:

* Do the money shuffle and decide what op to make this month

* Go to WW with best friend followed by lunch ( cheap and low cal of course!)

*do some birthday cake research as I need to send ideas over, currently theme ideas are the Beatles (ds1) doctor who (Dd) and horror or the shining/psycho (ds2) it will be a three tier so either a busy mash up of what they like or three very separate cakes.

* Hoover and mop everywhere

*take ds 2 to cinema if time

*do a shop

It's festival weekend in our town this weekend, unfortunately a dance one so not our kids cup of tea :o that means no shopping or popping out as there are what feels like a million usually orange tipsy teenagers wandering everywhere, no chance of getting near the shops. It's nice to watch them but inconvenient having so many roads closed.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    FRIDAYS LATE LIST :D :

* all washing up to date

* clean kitchen /bathrooms

* update mortgage figures :D

I've decide to pay what available money we have left off the mortgage this month, still not got a quote from the builder yet and he has to be asked many times to provide us with bills usually so it can come from next months money. Safer that way, less chance of me booking a last minute holiday :rotfl:
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    newgirly wrote: »
    MAY update!

Start figures 2018:

Mortgage £47,049

Loan £14,941

Total at Jan 1st £61,990

Total today:

Mortgage £36,319

Loan. £12,039

Total today; £48,358

Total reduction so far this year: £13,632

Total may reduction :£2,540
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Fantastic monthly reduction there. Well done! I'm very excited about doing my figures in 6 days times !!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • newgirly
    Thanks Jimmy :)

Looking back at what I wanted to achieve during may it's not gone too badly, I wanted to cut down on eating out - we nearly went for dinner last night but stayed in instead :T I've cut down drinking now (did have wine last night though :o ) and we have used the cinema passses instead of eating out a bit more. I still over spent a bit, but nothing horrendous :D

SATURDAY LIST:

* clean bathrooms as I didn't do it Friday

* encourage dh to finish clearing out the log cabin (aka the giant spider shed), friend from work is coming tomorrow to help fix the roof and stain the inside white- we should then have a clear, Aragog free hot tub room for summer :T

* nothing else! I'm basically at a loose end most of the weekend :D
  • julicorn
    julicorn Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Wow, that's an amazing reduction newgirly! Well done :j
    Original mortgage: December 2017, £203,495
    MFW start: April 2018, £201,800
    Mortgage neutral: September 2022, mortgage redeemed: December 2022
    New house, new mortgage: December 2022, £276,007
    Current balance: £217,800 minus £8,300 overpayment savings pot
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,893 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Well done for the eating in and paying it off before booking a holiday - that's good self-control :D

Hopefully hot-tub room will be ready for hot-tubbing on Monday then? Weekend sorted :)

ETA, I know nothing about hot-tubs, it might take weeks to get it ready!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• newgirly
    The hot tub needs emptying, cleaning and then filling / reheating which takes a couple of days. I've not been in it for a very long time due to the spiders :eek: It was great when the kids were younger , we had sofas, tv, even a bar (very tacky I know!) but now it will be just a huge empty space bar the hot tub, and white inside - pine with knots can be distracting when constantly scanning for eight legged freaks :rotfl: hopefully then I can use it again :T

Trying to be as nice as possible to dh , just cooked him breakfast to keep him sweet so he does some work out there today, he knows this is what I'm doing and is making he most of it and taking his time, he's not even dressed yet!
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Great focus making that big mortgage payment. Focus on the holidays you can book guilt free once mortgage free.
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • newgirly
    Hi cath, am trying but will be having a couple of breaks this year and am still torturing myself with last minute cruises daily :o

Currently treading a tightrope with dh, he doesn't like doing any work around the house and garden , I want it doing but am too scared as there's cowebs and spiders :rotfl: ds. 2 has taken the lead and is helping him load the car with stuff to store in the garage down the road we rents.

Roll on being mf when I can pay someone to do diy :rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback