Nationwide Refer a Friend Offer

Dedre
Dedre Posts: 29 Forumite
edited 5 July 2017 at 1:15PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
Hi,

A colleague of mine has a current account with Nationwide and I am looking at switching my current account to them via their 'refer a friend' scheme where we each get £100 for switching.

I don't currently have a current account with Nationwide, however, I do have a mortgage with them. Does anyone know if this will preclude me from the offer?

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/about/recommend-a-friend/terms-and-conditions The Terms and Conditions don't make any reference to Nationwide mortgage customers being barred from being referred for the current account. However, I can refer someone to the Flex account as I have the mortgage so perhaps I am not eligible?

Thanks

Comments

• Polly05
    Polly05 Posts: 376 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I don't think so..
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ask on the referral thread , someone might know
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    No - I've done this and can confirm that having a mortgage with them does not make you ineligible for the current account switch bonus.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The missus and I both had a range of nationwides products, referred each other for an account and netted £320 (she got £300 and I got £100 when they mucked up the bonus, the £20 was for, my complaint about it).
  • Don80
    Don80 Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I can only see you're ineligible if you already have a current account - I think you would be able to get it. The best thing to do is go to the website, you get a "chat with someone" pop up when viewing their products. You could ask?
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Don80 wrote: »
    I can only see you're ineligible if you already have a current account - I think you would be able to get it. The best thing to do is go to the website, you get a "chat with someone" pop up when viewing their products. You could ask?

No, we both had current accounts, opened new flex direct accounts and still got the referral bonus.

As with any switch bonus people have to be careful to follow the correct process as detailed in the terms and conditions.
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    As bigadaj says above, having an existing current account may not make you ineligible, so Don80's post above his is probably incorrect. I recently got the £100 despite already having an account already.

The terms have recently changed of course, so previous experience may no longer apply. The wording in the T&C (at http://www.nationwide.co.uk/about/recommend-a-friend/terms-and-conditions) says that:
    The recommended friend is entitled to only one payment even if they switch more than one account to us or if more than one recommender recommends them.

Which seems to rule out more than one payment, but doesn't explicitly mention aready having an account with them, so that suggests a new switch even if you have an account with them, will qualify. But not more than once.

The T&C also say
    If the recommender or recommended friend holds any current account with us that’s managed by our Collections & Recoveries Department, they will not qualify for this offer.

But that's not about current accounts in general, only those in recoveries management. Which directly implies that having an existing account not in recovery (i.e. in normal use) does not make you ineligible.
  • Cozworth806
    Cozworth806 Posts: 530 Forumite
    Anyone done a switch already?

Any idea what format the switch code you need to enter is in and where it is shown? Did a referral but the friend a is a bit clueless about such things

Ta
    Nothing to see here :beer:
  • PhilStation
    PhilStation Posts: 68 Forumite
    edited 21 July 2017 at 2:57PM
    Anyone done a switch already?

Any idea what format the switch code you need to enter is in and where it is shown? Did a referral but the friend a is a bit clueless about such things

Ta

I don't recall using a switch code, did you receive the email from Nationwide with a link and forward this to them for them to use when they apply?
  • PhilStation
    PhilStation Posts: 68 Forumite
    Browntoa wrote: »
    post 10 needs spamming , referral outside the referral section

Apologies, not done deliberately.

Now edited.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income