Japan Holiday - Spending Advice Needed

Hi
We are going on honeymoon to Japan in September this year. We are visiting Tokyo, Hiroshima, Kyoto and Osaka. My main question is that I keep reading that many places do not accept cards so to carry cash. We are primarily going for the food experience and also to soak up the atmosphere in the different places.
How much cash would we need though for 2 weeks? I know that is difficult to say as different people spend differently but just an idea would be great.
I am aware that as we envisage primarily visiting street food places and smaller restaurants we will definitely need cash for those.
Should we have all the cash we anticipate we need and a bit more exchanged into Yen to take out before we go or should we get enough for the first few days and then get a travel credit card (eg Barclaycard Platinum Travel) to withdraw cash from ATMs after the first few days?
Has anybody been recently who can advise on the current situation? I lot of the websites I'm seeing are a few years old.
We are going in September, so if we need to get a travel credit card I'm probably looking at applying in the next month or so.
How easy is it to find an ATM which will take an international card?
Thanks!

Comments

• blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    chocgirl wrote: »
    Hi
    We are going on honeymoon to Japan in September this year.
    We are visiting Tokyo, Hiroshima, Kyoto and Osaka.

My main question is that I keep reading that many places do not accept cards so to carry cash.

Where are you reading that?

Did a similar itinerary a few years back and had no problems.

I do remember reading that in the off the beaten track location then Credit cards are not widely accepted.

But major cities you should have no problem.

Enjoy!
  • chocgirl_2
    chocgirl_2 Posts: 96 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks blind man
    So we should be ok to take enough cash with us for a few days and then withdraw more or pay on card?
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    chocgirl wrote: »
    Thanks blindman
    So we should be ok to take enough cash with us for a few days and then withdraw more or pay on card?

That's my MO-Cash for day 1 then spend everything on the credit once in location

Good web-site
  • WAYT
    WAYT Posts: 694 Forumite
    International ATM everywhere. Post Offices/Japan Post Bank and Seven Bank/7-11.

https://www.kyotostation.com/atm-cash-machines-currency-exchange-at-kyoto-station/
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Slightly off topic but you should look at getting a JR Pass for the train travel. It has to be purchased before you enter the country but would save a fortune on your train travel.

http://www.japanrailpass.net

There's also a very good website for train times - http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

I used cash when I visited but that was before I had a decent overseas card so was the cheapest option at that time.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • lika_86
    lika_86 Posts: 1,769 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hunt out 7/11s, they're your best friend for ATMs and great snacks, supermarkets in Japan are awesome.
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,895 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi, I visited the places you mentioned in November last year and had no problems with credit cards or ATM's. I agree re the 7/11 shops...some great snack foods available especially if you have a sweet tooth! The vending machines are good for drinks both hot and cold too. Do bear in mind that things do tend to be more expensive in Japan tho.
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Agree above and for JR travel pass. Big money saver too.
    We used WeSwap and got very good rates and it was accepted pretty much everywhere.
    ally.
  • chocgirl_2
    edited 13 June 2017 at 9:00AM
    Fantastic thanks all - I was worrying a bit but I'll organise my application for overseas card this week.
    Yes we are on an organised trip with a partial itinerary but includes a JR pass for the two weeks.
    The 7-11s sound like they will be a lifesaver!! Will also hunt out a supermarket as well. I am bad enough in a UK supermarket so that will be brill!
    Thank you al for your advice. If anybody has any more tips then please tell all!
    Now for the rucksack shopping....
  • chocgirl_2
    I had never heard of WeSwap but I am looking now!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure