cyclist vs pedestrian - who has right of way

Options

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    Other road users are a menace! As you say, you really wonder about some people.

Round here we get car drivers jumping red lights and rat-running through the village at double the speed limit.

The council spent millions building a bypass with a 50mph limit, but selfish motorists won't use the facilities that have been built for them. Two elderly people have already been hit by speeding rat-runners on the zebra crossing in a 20mph zone.

At least cyclists without lights aren't endangering other people's lives -- just their own.

I don't think the part in bold is true. The most obvious danger is to their own life but its not the only danger. They could knock a pedestrian off their feet, or could easily cause a RTA when a driver has to suddenly take evasive action to avoid them because of the bad visibility.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I don't think the part in bold is true. The most obvious danger is to their own life but its not the only danger. They could knock a pedestrian off their feet, or could easily cause a RTA when a driver has to suddenly take evasive action to avoid them because of the bad visibility.

Not to mention damage to car/property.
    Plus, the driver will still be at fault, however invisible the cyclist was.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• unholyangel
    Options
    Pyxis wrote: »
    Not to mention damage to car/property.
    Plus, the driver will still be at fault, however invisible the cyclist was.

Wondering if this is a variation on the misconception that drivers are always at fault for incidents involving pedestrians? Or was it a more tongue in cheek comment?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Pyxis
    Options
    Wondering if this is a variation on the misconception that drivers are always at fault for incidents involving pedestrians? Or was it a more tongue in cheek comment?

No, I got it from a policeman a couple of weeks ago, when this very question came up at a road safety seminar I was attending.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox

• unholyangel
    Options
    No, I got it from a policeman a couple of weeks ago, when this very question came up at a road safety seminar I was attending.

What was the question? Who's fault if you're in a collision with a cyclist?

Unless he said it would depend on circumstances, I'd seek a 2nd opinion elsewhere. There is no presumed liability in "uk" law - bike campaigners are pushing for it (have been since the 90's tbh) but it hasn't been enacted or even discussed in parliament afaik.
  • Pyxis
    Options
    What was the question? Who's fault if you're in a collision with a cyclist?

Unless he said it would depend on circumstances, I'd seek a 2nd opinion elsewhere. There is no presumed liability in "uk" law - bike campaigners are pushing for it (have been since the 90's tbh) but it hasn't been enacted or even discussed in parliament afaik.

He did add that the cyclist would be dealt with as well, for riding without lights, but he was adamant that the car-driver would be charged with something like driving without due care and attention, or similar.

Some of the audience did question this, but his answer was always the same.

I suppose that the reasoning would be that even if the cyclist had no lights, if the driver was driving at a speed commensurate with the conditions, and paying proper attention to the road ahead, he would see the cyclist in his headlights.

There is one road I travel down on my way home, which isn't very well lit, it is narrow, with parked cars along one side. It is a route for people walking back from a theatre/cinema complex, possibly after having had drinks in the bar too. Those people are very rarely dressed in light clothing, and have a tendency to jay-walk and cross the road suddenly.

They are very hard to spot in the distance.
    Add into the mix a couple of cyclists with either no lights or feeble lights, and you will understand why I creep along this road at 15-20 mph, at night, when the speed limit is 30.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I was under the impression that on a pedestrian crossing (zebra or pelican) the pedestrian definitely does have right of way. Maybe it's a London thing - but I do find a significant minority of cyclists assume that they can ride through as long as they don't actually hit any pedestrians.... Less than an hour ago, I was on a zebra with traffic stopped and a cyclist decided to overtake sorry "filter" past the stopped cars, onto the zebra across in front of me and a woman crossing in the opposite direction, then up the dropped kerb to continue filtering along the pavement. All at the same speed.

MAMIL? No. Courier with a Mad Max fixation? No. 20-something woman in Primark velour track suit and headphones.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Pyxis
    edited 18 May 2017 at 9:26AM
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »
    I was under the impression that on a pedestrian crossing (zebra or pelican) the pedestrian definitely does have right of way. Maybe it's a London thing - but I do find a significant minority of cyclists assume that they can ride through as long as they don't actually hit any pedestrians.... Less than an hour ago, I was on a zebra with traffic stopped and a cyclist decided to overtake sorry "filter" past the stopped cars, onto the zebra across in front of me and a woman crossing in the opposite direction, then up the dropped kerb to continue filtering along the pavement. All at the same speed.

MAMIL? No. Courier with a Mad Max fixation? No. 20-something woman in Primark velour track suit and headphones.
    I am pretty sure you are right, that the pedestrian does have right of way on a zebra crossing. In fact, I think it is also the case that if there is a pedestrian waiting to cross at a zebra crossing, cars are obliged to stop.

I'll see if I can find out for sure.

I know that in a lot of countries on the continent, the pedestrian does not have right of way on a zebra crossing, or the same right to halt traffic; the crossing is just advisory, so you have to take the law (and your life!) into your own hands sometimes, in order to get across, or else you could be there all day!

Edit....
    The Highway Code confirms that pedestrians do have right of way once they have stepped onto the crossing.
    If they haven't yet stepped on, it just says to be ready to slow down or stop to them cross.

"195
    Zebra crossings.
    As you approach a zebra crossing
    look out for pedestrians waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop to let them cross
    you MUST give way when a pedestrian has moved onto a crossing

allow more time for stopping on wet or icy roads
    do not wave or use your horn to invite pedestrians across; this could be dangerous if another vehicle is approaching
    be aware of pedestrians approaching from the side of the crossing.
    A zebra crossing with a central island is two separate crossings (see pictures in Crossings (18 to 30)).
    Law ZPPPCRGD reg 25"
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• bubblesbonbon
    bubblesbonbon Posts: 800 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »

The Zebra, Pelican and Puffin Pedestrian Crossing Regulations and general Directions (1997) give direction on the regulatory frameworks surrounding crossings.

• Zebra crossings give pedestrians priority over vehicles on the carriageway

• Cyclists are vehicles and are permitted to ride on the part of a Zebra crossing that is carriageway, provided they give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross.

• It is not illegal to cycle across a Zebra crossing if there is shared-use to either side, but it is contrary to Rule 64 of the Highway Code which states that cyclists should dismount and walk across Zebra crossings.

Breach of the Highway Code could be used as evidence of an offence, e.g. cycling dangerously, or of evidence of negligence in the event of a collision.

Must be correct - Google says so
    "It's nice to be important but more important to be nice"

John Templeton 1912-2008
  • Pyxis
    Options
    What was interesting was the regulation about whether a cyclist can ride across a crossing (i.e. to cross the road) or whether they have to dismount and walk across.

In the cyclist's defence, the rules are mixed.

They can ride across a Toucan crossing (but only when the green man is displayed) but not across a zebra, pelican or puffin. For those, they have to dismount and walk across.

Who knows the difference between a pelican, puffin and toucan crossing?

Also, they can ride across if there are cycleways on either side of the crossing, thus making the crossing shared use between cyclists and pedestrians.

So, sometimes they can, and sometimes they can't. A bit confusing.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport