Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nationwide8
    • By Nationwide8 5th Nov 16, 8:45 PM
    • 335Posts
    • 136Thanks
    Nationwide8
    Tesco Bank
    • 5th Nov 16, 8:45 PM
    Tesco Bank 5th Nov 16 at 8:45 PM
    44 mins and counting for Tesco Bank to answer the phone after I rec an e-mail from their Fraud dept asking to contact them Urgently..

Great customer service..

46 mins now..

FORUM TEAM EDIT: [OFFICIAL MSE NEWS POST: 'Tesco Bank halts online transactions after money taken from 20,000 current accounts']
    Last edited by Former MSE Matt; 07-11-2016 at 10:37 AM.
Page 5
    • Maureen43
    • By Maureen43 6th Nov 16, 10:02 AM
    • 483 Posts
    • 634 Thanks
    Maureen43
    Alternative route to get through
    Morning All

I have just got through using an alternative route - select Option 2 (new customer) then option 2 from the next menu (update on application).

The call was answered in about 30 seconds.

All they could do was take my details and promise me a call back within 48 hours but at least I got through.

There has been a "national incident" apparently.
    • catwoman73
    • By catwoman73 6th Nov 16, 10:03 AM
    • 439 Posts
    • 522 Thanks
    catwoman73
    Woke to find 2 emails and 2 texts arrived at 2.33 am from Tesco Bank so just tried to call them and after waiting on hold for about 10 minutes found this thread so gave up with the phone call for now as not wanting to wait an hour to be told 'we know nothing'.

Logged into my accounts and everything seems OK but I only have about 50 in right now, but annoyingly I have 3k that I want to move accross from Santander and don't want to risk it while we don't know what's going on.
    • antonette254
    • By antonette254 6th Nov 16, 10:07 AM
    • 156 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    antonette254
    Had text & email this morning at 06:39 I'm currently holding & have been for 46 minutes. Checked my accounts but nothing untoward. Will keep on & see if I get any joy. Glad I'm not the only person that got this.
    • john1002
    • By john1002 6th Nov 16, 10:17 AM
    • 928 Posts
    • 383 Thanks
    john1002
    Looks like AndyG from tesco community has let the BBC know;

andyg andyg
    Occasional Poster
    9:43 AM
    Hi Tesco

I am posting this hear as you seem to be blatently ignoring all contact via Social Media. I note your Twitter team are active but only responding to tweets about opening new accounts and car insurance renewals - the huge volume of tweets about the fraud are being ignored.

I do not think this is satisfactory and I believe your behaviour is inconsistant with that which the Financial Conduct Authority expect of a regulated firm.

Having spent most of this morning on hold, the advisor could do nothing other than take my phone number and say someone will call back, but she does not know when. I suggested Tesco should be communicating with customers via:
    1) an IVR message on the incoming phone line explaining the situation
    2) the social media channels which are currently ignoring the problem
    3) the tesco bank website its self
    4) a follow up text/email saying not to bother calling

While I was on hold, I was contacted by a BBC journalist who had seen my posts on social media. I have passed on my thoughts about Tesco and I hope the BBC will publish these.

I look forward yo your response.

Posted from community site

John
    • Darcy macaw
    • By Darcy macaw 6th Nov 16, 10:18 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Darcy macaw
    We also had text and email to call Tesco bank fraud, checked our accounts and available amount is less than it should be. Unable to get through to Tesco despite calling twice and queuing for an hour each time. I note others are saying this is to do with debit/credit cards but we keep our cards in the safe and have never used them as this account is for savings only and the little bit of interest it makes.
    Wish Tesco would put out some kind of public statement, looks like they've been hacked.
    • sparkyspark
    • By sparkyspark 6th Nov 16, 10:19 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    sparkyspark
    Reply on Tesco Community forum regarding "Suspicious Activity Texts"

"Yesterday our fraud prevention systems identified suspicious activity on a number of accounts.
    As a precautionary measure we have blocked some customer cards and have contacted affected customers via text message to notify them.
    We are sorry for the inconvenience we know this causes, however we want to do everything we can to protect our customers from fraud. If you think you have been the victim of fraud, please contact us immediately."
    https://yourcommunity.tescobank.com/t5/News/Suspicious-Activity-Texts/m-p/6538

Also another thread on Tesco community forum here https://yourcommunity.tescobank.com/t5/Day-to-Day-Banking/Been-waiting-for-1-5-hours-for-an-answer/td-p/6516

Tesco Bank Twitter feed https://twitter.com/tescobankhelp
    Last edited by sparkyspark; 06-11-2016 at 10:33 AM. Reason: added text
    • BEKO86
    • By BEKO86 6th Nov 16, 10:21 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BEKO86
    Same here, received the text & email last night. Spent over an hour and a half on hold over a few attempts.

It appears we can't account for approx 40, I've since moved everything else out.

Luckily I only top the account up on a weekly basis by standing order.
    • jem16
    • By jem16 6th Nov 16, 10:25 AM
    • 18,601 Posts
    • 11,428 Thanks
    jem16
    Twitter at least now replying.

https://twitter.com/tescobankhelp/status/795208676424425472
    • XR221
    • By XR221 6th Nov 16, 10:29 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    XR221
    Tesco bank hacked
    I too received a text and email from TB regarding one of our 4 accounts. After confirming that both were genuine I attempted to contact their fraud dept as requested after having noted that the account mentioned had 2 pence reserved as a 'pending transaction' that I had no knowledge of. None of my accounts have standing orders, direct debits, cheque books or debit cards that have ever been used. Nearly 2 hours on the phone via 3 calls and no answer from TB.
    As a precaution I have transferred all of our money across all accounts into another bank account, so any prospective fraudster/hacker now has access to only the 2p that I cannot move!
    • SevenOfNine
    • By SevenOfNine 6th Nov 16, 10:29 AM
    • 1,421 Posts
    • 1,436 Thanks
    SevenOfNine
    13 mins on customer service number in order to check the telephone number in my email was legitimate.......gave up!

30 mins on the email number intending to make THEM answer a few security questions before discussing what is wrong.

Boredom listening to the tinny music & message so logged on here to have a whinge - lo & behold I find this thread! So I've hung up. Can't see anything untoward on my a/c (or any of them) so I'll read these threads, keep an eye on the my accounts every day while I watch to see what's going on here - but I'm not wasting any of my time trying to contact them.

Did I mis-hear or did the initial press this/that actually say they "take fraud very SERIOUS", not "seriously"?
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
    • Darcy macaw
    • By Darcy macaw 6th Nov 16, 10:35 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Darcy macaw
    Hi an update to my post, I have just got through using an alternative route - select Option 2 (new customer) then option 2 from the next menu (update on application).

The call was answered in about 30 seconds by a lovely guy by the name of Scott.

He took my details to forward to fraud department and said they will call me back within 48 hours, so at least it is now logged with Tesco.
    • hoc
    • By hoc 6th Nov 16, 10:38 AM
    • 265 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    hoc
    I received the mentioned text and email yesterday. After a few minutes on hold I was put through to the Credit Card group as apparently the Current Account group were too busy. I was told they would call back within 6 hours maximum, they didn't.

I called them again early this morning. I hung up after waiting for an hour. I received a call about 3 hours later. The lady was very apologetic and clearly tired.

At least it was worth the effort, it really was fraud, various transactions attempted with Apple store and some Brazil phone network.

Just because the balance and transactions are OK doesn't mean your details have not been stolen. I suggest people persevere in contacting Tesco.
    • TheBanker
    • By TheBanker 6th Nov 16, 10:50 AM
    • 628 Posts
    • 1,572 Thanks
    TheBanker
    Well it's made the news: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37888327
    Make 10 a day challenge: Jan-18: 330 / 400
    • XR221
    • By XR221 6th Nov 16, 10:54 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    XR221
    SevenOfNine - no, you didn't mis-hear. The message really does say 'take fraud very serious'!
    • scottishgirl87
    • By scottishgirl87 6th Nov 16, 10:58 AM
    • 678 Posts
    • 362 Thanks
    scottishgirl87
    I also received the email and text last night. Spent an hour on hold last night before giving up. Spent another hour on hold this morning to get through to someone in the Credit Card team (I only have a Current Account) who took my number and said someone would call me back.

I only use the account as a savings account for the interest and annoyingly I actually want to use it this weekend for a purchase which I very rarely do. So far there is nothing missing from my account so I probably won't be a priority. Don't know whether to move the money elsewhere in timebeing...
    • djpailo
    • By djpailo 6th Nov 16, 10:58 AM
    • 452 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    djpailo
    The amount of calls the call center will receive now will only escalate. I'm concerned that my details have been stolen. Luckily I use a different password for everything.
    • jem16
    • By jem16 6th Nov 16, 10:59 AM
    • 18,601 Posts
    • 11,428 Thanks
    jem16
    Hi an update to my post, I have just got through using an alternative route - select Option 2 (new customer) then option 2 from the next menu (update on application).

The call was answered in about 30 seconds by a lovely guy by the name of Scott.
    Originally posted by Darcy macaw
    This route seems to be busy now too!
    • Simon7685
    • By Simon7685 6th Nov 16, 11:20 AM
    • 1,042 Posts
    • 439 Thanks
    Simon7685
    JUST A WORD TO THE WISE..........

I would recommend persevering to get through as even if your balance and available look ok, it does NOT mean you have not been affected.

Both my accounts looked fine but after receiving the text and email regarding one, I persevered for around one hour last night to get through.

When I did I found that one of my accounts had been affected and and they had automatically blocked the transactions and the card.

It seems to me that anyone that has received an email and/or text needs to get through, so you can get it sorted and make sure your account is blocked to prevent any further fraudulent activity.

I totally agree that this should have been handled far far better than it has, it seems to have caught them on the hop but as customers we also need to take steps to help protect ourselves, so stay on the line and wait to get through!
    • antonette254
    • By antonette254 6th Nov 16, 11:21 AM
    • 156 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    antonette254
    Finally got through after 1:30 hours on hold. Should receive a call back in the next 6hours. The account in question has a debit card that has not been used, so am baffled how my details have been got at? Other Tesco account I have made purchases on this weekend but didn't get text/email for this account, this account actually seems to be 300 up on what it should be so I really don't know if it's just a delay on showing the pending transactions?
    • ffacoffipawb
    • By ffacoffipawb 6th Nov 16, 11:26 AM
    • 2,516 Posts
    • 1,676 Thanks
    ffacoffipawb
    Finally got through after 1:30 hours on hold. Should receive a call back in the next 6hours. The account in question has a debit card that has not been used, so am baffled how my details have been got at? Other Tesco account I have made purchases on this weekend but didn't get text/email for this account, this account actually seems to be 300 up on what it should be so I really don't know if it's just a delay on showing the pending transactions?
    Originally posted by antonette254
    Could be your available overdraft facility?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,130Posts Today

8,758Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today?s twitter poll: Does President Trump put you off visiting the USA?? On Friday I did a poll about cities you'? https://t.co/5gbpoA9bF9

• RT @helen_undy: We're expanding our trustee board at this exciting point in @mmhpi's development, looking for 3 talented people to join @Ma?

• Got a passion for mental health?We're looking to expand the @mmhpi board with 3 new high level trustees - pref with? https://t.co/wSc0itUZO4

• Follow Martin