Tesco Bank

Comments

• darkidoe
    darkidoe Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    How do you check for pending transactions??

My current account looks fine at the moment but granted I have never used my debit card for any transactions before. Maybe people who do not use their debit cards are safe?

Save 12K in 2020 # 38 £0/£20,000
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    darkidoe wrote: »
    How do you check for pending transactions??

My current account looks fine at the moment but granted I have never used my debit card for any transactions before. Maybe people who do not use their debit cards are safe?

By checking your balance and available balance, I didn't and have not received a text or email but I have been affected as my available balance is different to my actual balance, I didn't have much in my account as I just paid my Tesco credit card but yes I have an pending payment, and waiting for the call from fraud, not sure they will stick to the 48 hour with the amount of return calls they have promised
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • Tesco Bank can confirm that, over the weekend, some of its customer current accounts have been subject to online criminal activity, in some cases resulting in money being withdrawn fraudulently.

We apologise for the worry and inconvenience that this has caused for customers, and can only stress that we are taking every step to protect our customers' accounts. We continue to work with the authorities and regulators to address the fraud and will keep our customers informed through regular updates on our website, Twitter and direct communication.

We can reassure customers that we will ensure they do not lose out financially, and we are working to refund accounts that have been subject to fraud as soon as possible.

Benny Higgins
    Chief Executive
  • TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Tesco Bank can confirm that, over the weekend, some of its customer current accounts have been subject to online criminal activity, in some cases resulting in money being withdrawn fraudulently.

We apologise for the worry and inconvenience that this has caused for customers, and can only stress that we are taking every step to protect our customers' accounts. We continue to work with the authorities and regulators to address the fraud and will keep our customers informed through regular updates on our website, Twitter and direct communication.

We can reassure customers that we will ensure they do not lose out financially, and we are working to refund accounts that have been subject to fraud as soon as possible.

Benny Higgins
    Chief Executive

Too little, too late.

Clearly Tesco's plans for dealing with a major incident outside of office hours either do not exist or are woefully inadequate.

The statements on their community site says:
    Tesco Bank can confirm that, over the weekend, some of its customers’ current accounts have been subject to online criminal activity, in some cases resulting in money being withdrawn fraudulently.

We apologise for the worry and inconvenience that this has caused for customers, and can only stress that we are taking every step to protect our customers’ accounts. That is why, as a precautionary measure, we have taken the decision today to temporarily stop online transactions from current accounts. This will only affect current account customers. While online transactions will not be available, current account customers will still be able to use their cards for cash withdrawals, chip and pin payments, and all existing bill payments and direct debits will continue as normal. We are working hard to resume normal service on current accounts as soon as possible.

We continue to work with the authorities and regulators to address the fraud and will keep our customers informed through regular updates on our website, twitter and direct communication.

We can reassure customers that any financial loss as a result of this activity will be resolved fully by Tesco Bank, and we are working to refund accounts that have been subject to fraud as soon as possible.

I am assuming the section in bold refers to online card payments rather than online Faster Payments, but again they seem unable to write a clear communication explaining what is happening.
  • tizerbelle
    tizerbelle Posts: 1,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 November 2016 at 7:07AM
    Looks like I've been hit as well to the tune of £1600 :eek:

Fortunately its just a holding account for me and I don't need access to the money. Didn't get a text yesterday, just got the one this morning at 5am about them stopping online transactions. Called the lost / stolen / suspected fraud number ( got through straight away) and they confirmed my account has been flagged and the fraud team will call me back in 48 hours!

I feel for those customers who have this as their main/only account and are likely to struggle over the next few days. More proof if it were needed that we all need to be protecting ourselves by having back up funds held in a second (or tenth) bank for situations like this.

My debit card for this account has never been used - its never even left the house!
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Tesco Bank apologises after customers hit by fraud
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37891742
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • worldtraveller
    worldtraveller Posts: 14,012 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    edited 7 November 2016 at 7:24AM
    Tesco Bank has frozen the bank cards of some customers after its chief executive confirmed the service had fallen victim to an online hacking attack.

Benny Higgins said some current accounts were subjected to "online criminal activity" over the weekend, with "some cases" resulting in money being withdrawn fraudulently.

Mr Higgins said: "We apologise for the worry and inconvenience that this has caused for customers, and can only stress that we are taking every step to protect our customers' accounts."

He also sought to reassure customers that Tesco Bank will "ensure they do not lose out financially" and accounts will be refunded "as soon as possible".

The bank said it is working with authorities and regulators to address the circumstances surrounding the security breach.

Sky News
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
  • smjxm09
    smjxm09 Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Both the wife's accounts and mine are unaffected but I got a text in the early hours to say that they have suspended all online transactions. Maybe too many people were moving their money out of Tesco's and it is putting a strain on the bank.
  • TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    smjxm09 wrote: »
    Both the wife's accounts and mine are unaffected but I got a text in the early hours to say that they have suspended all online transactions. Maybe too many people were moving their money out of Tesco's and it is putting a strain on the bank.

I'm not sure what they've actually suspended - I've just moved a small amount out by Faster Payment (existing payee - my main bank account). This was just me sweeping off the monthly interest as I usually do.

I think they mean online debit card transactions are suspended. As this seems to be where the compromise has occurred.
  • johnmoney05
    johnmoney05 Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Over the weekend, some of our customers' current accounts have been subject to online criminal activity. Our first priority is to protect your account so we have taken the precautionary measure of temporarily suspending online transactions from your account, this includes contactless transactions. You will still be able to withdraw cash and use chip and pin transactions. We are very sorry for the inconvenience and will let you know as soon as we resume normal service. For more information visit tescobank.com/yourcommunity

I got two texts, but just log in, seems fine. I have all my money with their saving account, if blocked, I would have problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure