Stayingabroad past 28 days and didn't know I needed to inform DWP - Help

Hi,

I left the UK over 28 days ago and wasn't sure when I would be back. My sick note ran out just after I got here and I thought the payments would just stop anyway and I could sort it out when I got back.

Long story short I have found a job abroad that starts next year so I am staying but have been paid an ESA payment after my sick note has stopped and after I have been here over 28 days.

I didn't know the rules and I was not in a great state mentally and just left the UK thinking the payments would just stop due to no sick note. What do I say to ESA or DWP?

I had no idea if I'd be here 10, 20 or 90 days let alone find a job! Can I just tell them I didn't know I had to inform them, that my benefit would continue regardless of a sick note, how long I would be here and I was in a great deal of distress when I left and to stop payments and set me up a payment plan to pay back any extra I owe back?

Please dont attack me for being overpaid as I didn't think I would be or know they would keep paying me after my sick notes had stopped and I would like to pay it back if they can hold off until I get paid from the new job im starting soon.

Comments

• Tasmond
    Tasmond Posts: 43 Forumite
    i have literally just told my landlord and everyone back home im staying here so im in a bit of a tizz.

i didnt know you had to tell them if you were going for more than a month either or did i think id be here longer, its been 6 weeksish now and i just want to be upfront with them and sort it out.

now im terrified i;ll be done for fraud when ive literally just had no idea whats going on and been surprised nby circumstances!!
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    You have now realised you should have informed DWP so do so as soon as possible. There will potentially be an overpayment to recover but it won't be viewed as the crime of the century.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure