Guide discussion: Universal credit

Options

Comments

• WillowCat
    WillowCat Posts: 974 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ames wrote: »
    So disabled people have to go through the stress of a WCA to be able to work?

This is utter, utter madness.

Not at all. But they do have to undertake a WCA in order to access more money, and most importantly to get the status of not having to do a set number of hours. It gives them the freedom to work as much or as little as they please - because if they are disabled it's very likely they can't manage full time hours.

How do you think it should be decided who has this freedom?
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    WillowCat wrote: »
    Not at all. But they do have to undertake a WCA in order to access more money, and most importantly to get the status of not having to do a set number of hours. It gives them the freedom to work as much or as little as they please - because if they are disabled it's very likely they can't manage full time hours.

How do you think it should be decided who has this freedom?

The tax credit rules seem to work.

It seems completely nonsensical that to be able to work someone has to be assessed as unfit to work. It doesn't appear to be the best plan for encouraging people into work.

I'm thinking of the effect this will have on people like Messed up, who asked the question.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Smithy2018
    Smithy2018 Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 13 January 2018 at 1:14PM
    Options
    I'm disabled (muscular dystrophy (progressive no cure)) and have been on Working Tax Credit for over 10yrs, back in September 2017 I had to do a change of circumstances as i had moved house and split from my wife. I was told WTC was no longer available in my area and I would have to change to Universal Credit.

I had to wait 6 weeks to get my first payment but this only included my housing benefit, I was then told I would have to complete a Limited Capacity to Work form. I asked to be sent this form but was then told I would need to get a Fit Note from my doctor first, record it online then take it to the DWP to be verified. After all that I finally got to complete the form, then had to wait for it to be decided if I'd need go to a medical examination.

On 9th Jan I finally got confirmed that I am eligible for the Limited Capacity for Work element of UC, but it can't be backdated to the start of my claim cause they only do that if you were on ESA. Because I wasn't on ESA I would have to wait 13 weeks before they can pay me the LCW element (though as 13 weeks had passed since September I would get my first payment on 24 January, but I haven't been told how much). So I have lost £514 a month since September whilst battling to sort out this disability element of UC. All I got from UC was that is the legislation if you want to complain you need to write to your MP.

It's been a complete nightmare changing over to Universal Credit and financially draining, most of the DWP staff dont seem to be very knowledgeable on UC and queries you post on your journal can take weeks to be answered.

It certainly doesn't feel like your better off working like the government want you to believe.
  • Jeanette_Adam
    Options
    Can universal credit use my carers element to pay the rent arrears that they forced me into because I had to wait 6 weeks for my first payment.?
    They awarded me £151..then took it all back for rent arrears. They did not discuss it with me....they just took it.
  • WorldTraveller_2
    Options
    I've just come across this thread and we're in a similar position - my husband works, I look after our two autistic children and we get tax credits and carers allowance. We've managed to save over £16k and so it looks like we will lose all our tax credits (and carers allowance as well I think) when migrated to UC. The government seem to presume people are getting an income from their savings but with such pitifully low interest rates it's hardly anything - and we thought we were being responsible by saving for our children's future needs, new boiler etc, but if we lose the benefits we will rapidly use our savings up.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've just come across this thread and we're in a similar position - my husband works, I look after our two autistic children and we get tax credits and carers allowance. We've managed to save over £16k and so it looks like we will lose all our tax credits (and carers allowance as well I think) when migrated to UC. The government seem to presume people are getting an income from their savings but with such pitifully low interest rates it's hardly anything - and we thought we were being responsible by saving for our children's future needs, new boiler etc, but if we lose the benefits we will rapidly use our savings up.

The latest information available (at least what I can find) suggests that people who are still claiming tax credits at the time of being migrated to Universal Credit will receive transitional protection even though they have savings over £16000.

https://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides/tax-credits-and-benefits/universal-credit
  • konark
    konark Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Options
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    The latest information available (at least what I can find) suggests that people who are still claiming tax credits at the time of being migrated to Universal Credit will receive transitional protection even though they have savings over £16000.

https://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides/tax-credits-and-benefits/universal-credit

Assuming you don't have a 'change of circumstances' in the next four years or so, which can include working more hours, doing less hours, a house move, jury service or whoops we've accidentally closed your claim please reapply for UC.
  • sizorlegs
    Options
    I totally agree, I worked for 8.5 y and saved hard and deprived myself of a lot of nice things like a car and holidays. I was made redundant in 2016 and since i had less than 16k i decided to claim UC. I registered as self employed because I'm industrious and just needed a bit of hell until i got myself back on my feet, i hate claiming benefits and for me it was a temporary measure.

I received my redundacy payment after month 1 of claiming UC so I was told that i wouldn't receive UC for month 2. Fine I thought. They kept paying me for 14 months and then they told me that I was never entitled to UC because after month 1 my capital went over 16k because of my redundancy payment. And now i owe them 12k.

FUMING!!! :mad: I asked them why they didnt tell me 13 months ago but they blamed me even though i wrote in my jourmal every penny that i was paid right from the start.

I've been told lies over the phone and when i told them to check the recordings they simply say 'im sorry u were told that.' They never listen or accept fault.

The most I made over a year from my self employment was around £600 pm, not enough to live on but i kept trying.

They closed my claim down and now i cant respond via my journal but they can do all correspondence is one way because if i want to speak to them i have to ring them so if there are any disagreements or problems its my word against theirs, disgusting!!! These people who work for UC have no heart or soul, maybe one day some of them will lose their jobs and have to claim UC and then see how they like being treated like a dirty criminal :mad:
  • Danday
    Danday Posts: 436 Forumite
    Options
    I don't understand how it is possible that someone who has that level of capital should be allowed to claim top up benefits whilst at the same time retain that capital wealth. Surely benefits fall into two camps. Those that relate to the extra costs someone would have due to illness or injury and a safety net for those who have little or no savings are sick/unemployed with no income.

Pension Credit changed, quite rightly that it is now administered in the same way as Income Support is.

Something is wrong here I would not have the brass neck to go cap in hand looking for a top up of my income AND have savings that I could have used instead.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Danday wrote: »
    I don't understand how it is possible that someone who has that level of capital should be allowed to claim top up benefits whilst at the same time retain that capital wealth. Surely benefits fall into two camps. Those that relate to the extra costs someone would have due to illness or injury and a safety net for those who have little or no savings are sick/unemployed with no income.

Pension Credit changed, quite rightly that it is now administered in the same way as Income Support is.

Something is wrong here I would not have the brass neck to go cap in hand looking for a top up of my income AND have savings that I could have used instead.

What do you mean that Pension Credit has changed and is administered in the same way as Income support?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback