How To Dispute Default On Credit Report

Comments

• Equifax will just contact the supplier who will in-turn say the default is valid and it will still remain,

There's no point contacting the CRA's until you have an outcome from the supplier.

Who is the supplier BTW?
  • British Gas.
  • DTMT
    DTMT Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    !!! wrote: »
    The credit ratings and scores generated (read: plucked from the sky) by the CRA’s are not seen or used by lenders.

Where is this “plucked from the sky” thread? Do you have a link? I couldn’t find it and I’d like to read it, thanks
  • DTMT wrote: »
    Where is this “plucked from the sky” thread? Do you have a link? I couldn’t find it and I’d like to read it, thanks

All over the forum - the search box is your friend here.

Maybe start with the sticky post at the top of this forum called "What your credit score really means"
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    SimonLanes wrote: »
    I have a default listed on my credit report from a shared house I lived in years ago.

I moved out in 2011 (nearly 8 years ago) and as far as I knew I owed nothing for utility bills.

I learned some time later, that the tenant responsible for the gas bill hadn't been paying it (we all paid him in cash while we lived there).

He did a 'runner' from the property a few years after I moved out (not sure when, 2014 maybe), owing nearly £3000 to the gas company.

My name was never on the bill, but somehow it's appeared on my credit report as my debt, it's showing 'gone away' and was last updated in 2015.

Can I call the gas company and challenge this?
    !!! wrote: »
    Who is the supplier BTW?
    SimonLanes wrote: »
    British Gas.
    If it were me, I would make a written complaint to British Gas. I would make it clear in the letter that you were not the individual
    responsible for the energy contract. You could, if you wish, state that the person who was contractually responsible for the account was Mr/Ms XXXXXXXXX.

With a complaint, you have the option of escalating the issue to the FOS and/or ICO if there is a deadlock.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Whoa let me stop you all right there... this is a utility account. They are not covered under CCA so no chance they will provide a signed agreement and under no legal obligation to provide this. That’s just wasting a lot of time. You need to know the supply dates for the account first off. After this you need to provide proof you wasn’t at the address at the time
  • Am assuming with the age it’s been sold on? If so come back and I can advise further
  • Thanks all.

It's not been sold on as far as I know.

I moved out in 2011 but sometime after this, British Gas created an account for 4 tenants (including me, and the one who was actually liable) and made us all liable for the gas from 2009 to 2014 (when the liable tenant did a runner apparently).

This default seems to have been updated in 2015 according to Equifax.

So I guess that's why it's not been sold on or written off?

So the period that applies to me (sort of, my name wasn't on the bill) is 2009-2011.

But somehow I've been bundled into a bigger debt which defaulted 2014.
  • I'm now being asked to provide tenancy agreements to prove that I moved out the property in 2011.

I'm fairly certain I won't be able to get hold them.

Shouldn't it be the gas supplier's job to prove liabilty, not my job to disprove it?

This is getting ridiculous.
  • They can't prove that you didn't live there.

Whomever you rented with should have kept records for 7 years
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport