Alternative Energy Sources

Options
I would be grateful if anyone has information on or experience of alternative energy sources and their costs and efficiency. I am thinking particularly of wind power, solar energy (both through heat exchange and photovoltaic cells), thermal extraction from underground pipes etc., all in a domestic context. I am also interested in opinions about underfloor heating versus conventional radiators and what are the most efficient gas heating boilers currently on the market. I am also in the process of looking at extending my bungalow and altering the internal layout to optimise the efficient use of the space, are there any tips about ways of doing this to improve the thermal efficiency of the house?

Thanks in anticipation

Spike

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [email="andrea@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/email].
  • lustydog
    Options
    spikes_1 wrote:
    I would be grateful if anyone has information on or experience of alternative energy sources and their costs and efficiency. I am thinking particularly of wind power, solar energy (both through heat exchange and photovoltaic cells), thermal extraction from underground pipes etc., all in a domestic context. I am also interested in opinions about underfloor heating versus conventional radiators and what are the most efficient gas heating boilers currently on the market. I am also in the process of looking at extending my bungalow and altering the internal layout to optimise the efficient use of the space, are there any tips about ways of doing this to improve the thermal efficiency of the house?

Thanks in anticipation

Spike

Hi Spikes 1 I understand that there are roof tiles on the market that use solar energy to produce electricity which can then be used to heat water for the central heating, or if there is any excess power it can be fed into the nationl grid and sold to the power generators. I understand the tiles are double the cost of normal roof tiles, but that a government grant may be available for half the cost. Unfortunately I haven't used the tiles myself, and all this may be hogwash. But good luck with your extension ( look on the net)
    Regards lustydog
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    meadowcat wrote:
    I think the cost of panels is coming down. I know it can be expensive, but it really is a worthwhile thing to do. I hate all the talk about "payback". Nobody ever asks about payback time for an immersion heater or an oil boiler - that's because there isn't one. They just keep on costing you money. The sun and wind is free - but don't let on to Tony Blair.

meadowcat,

We have had this conversation before in earlier threads.

You may hate talk about payback, but it is the primary reason why most people visit this forum - for ideas to save money.

The inescapable facts are that it is totally uneconomic in UK for members of the public to invest large capital sums for which they will never see any reasonable return.

To make matters worse this whole alternative energy field has a great many 'cowboys' operating who see a chance to make a quick buck from a gullible public by exaggerating the benefits and ‘playing the environmental card’.

It is also far to simplistic to argue that equipping a house with a mass of expensive electronics and machinery(which needs to be manufactured, fitted, and serviced) is environmentally friendly.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    My we are getting sensitive! You really should not assume that my opinion on the cost effectiveness of solar heating is a criticism of your choice to fit a system.

You may well “hate all the talk about payback". However the original poster asked for information about the “costs and efficiency” of renewable energy and my reply was in that vein.

A couple of points:

You have no idea of my attitude toward environmental issues; so there is little point in basing your argument on supposition.

I pointed out that there are many cowboys in this field – read posts in this forum and do some research on the web to verify. Who implied the installer who fitted your system was other than the most brilliant and well qualified engineer? Again it is pointless for you to defend a criticism that was not made or implied.

I did look at the link you posted and was distinctly unimpressed. It is the web equivalent of a glossy brochure extolling the virtues of renewable energy and saying what a great firm they are. Full of trivia like “Sahara had extraordinary rains in 2003 leading to a massive plague of locusts in West & North Africa in 2004 which reached as far as Italy”

If you want a grown-up debate on “alternative energy sources” by all means let’s have one. However to raise my trips across the Atlantic! - hardly Oxford Union material is it?
  • adr0ck
    adr0ck Posts: 2,374 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    guys i would love a bit more info on this

i'm thinking about solar heating for a new house

house will be lpg

therefore any payback would be in less than half the time

also should be able to save on installation (as its a new house)

meadowcat could you please advise on what make of panels you had installed

also do you know if solar heating can be installed with system boilers?
  • dippy-dora_2
    dippy-dora_2 Posts: 340 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, if you pm me your email addy I have some plans for a wind turbine if that's any help?
    Official DFW Nerd 071/£2 saver=£10
    Argos Bill £100+
    Debt Free/Fat Free 4st 4lb gone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills