Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Options

Comments

• Eastindiman
    Options
    dlyn wrote: »
    Hi,
    For anyone interested in Aug I contacted our supplier (Shellgas) and negotiated a new agreement reducing our price from .46ppl to .37ppl, and with the proviso that we will benefit if there are any further general reductions. I was also advised to contact them again if I thought there had been a reduction in petrol prices locally. Guess what I'll be doing in the next couple of days.
    Can anyone see why with oil prices now at a 14 month low then why shouldn't lpg prices reflect this as the oil price increases were used to justify lpg price hikes?

Im very interested as a Shell Gas customer paying 42.6ppl using 7000lpa. How much do you use please and where are you located?
  • Eastindiman
    Options
    Im very interested as a Shell Gas customer paying 42.6ppl using 7000lpa. How much do you use please and where are you located?
  • dlyn
    dlyn Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Eastindiman,

I'm using about 3000 litres pa. and we're based in Lancashire, but I had to contact their office in Chesterfield.
    I think you should give them a call (wherever you are)- I found them very easy to negotiate with, but I've yet to ask them for further reduction!

Let's know how you get on.
  • ewazix
    ewazix Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    If I have read it correctly, as of 13th April 2009 suppliers of domestic LPG will HAVE to hand over their tank/pipes to a new supplier if you switch. This is as a result of the Competition Comission investigation.

I was about to sign my Flogas contract, but no way now! (48p p/L inc surcharge 6000L PA Somerset). We will have to see how these greedy B's try to get round this and continue to fix the market but it has to be a good start - I'm shopping around.:beer:

I got my info at http://www.lpg-solutions.co.uk/existingdomestic.html
    But I'm sure there are going to be lots of other switching agents jumping on the banwaggon to help customs switch.
  • Taffff
    Options
    Allo all..!
    I'm reading this with interest as we (my better half and I) are looking at moving to a cottage that is off the gas grid.
    It has a bulk LPG tank and this site is where I have found the most info about it.

Now lots of folks are going on about the new CC ruling that should be coming into force on 13 April 09 regarding the changing of suppliers.
    Now I may have missed something here so please put me right if I have but from this link to the CC (posted earlier by someone)

http://www.competition-commission.org.uk/inquiries/current/gas/lpgas_order_faq.pdf

Note 5, paragraph 2 reads that no supplier is obliged to take on another suppliers tank and if they wont fill the current tank then your current supplier will need to remove the tank before the new supplier can install their own.
    Now if the main 4 suppliers are in 'communication' with each other (and having worked for a very large company in the petro chem industry I think I already know the answer to this..:rolleyes: ) then they will all just carry on as normal to tie in the customers.
    Their current tactics of trying to get customers to sign a 5 year contract etc is just relying on the fact that most people will not have a clue about the new ruling that limits any contract to 2 years.

So has anything really changed..?

I hope I'm wrong and they will be falling over their selves to get new customers and take the tanks on but time will tell I suppose..

Anyway, best I make the most of this lovely Mains Gas fire I've got for now and settle down with a beer..:beer:
  • nc73
    nc73 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Just moved into a rented house and BP wants me to sign a contract? They said I am required to sign a 2 year. Is this right? Can't I just order gas whenever I need it without signing?
  • HeldtoRansom
    Options
    When the price of oil was rising, Countrywide Farmers sent us all apologetic letters every time they raised their LPG prices (6 in the last 12 months). Every time they explained that they had to keep a close eye on the wholesale markets and a watch on the price of a barrel of oil. And as they kept telling us, like fuel prices at the pump, our LPG prices would have to rise too. They even sent us graphs from the Daily Telegraph illustrating how Brent Crude was increasing without remorse and so would the price of LPG. For the last 5 months, as we all know, the price of oil together with that at the pump has been falling. But have we received any letters telling us about the reduction in the price of oil and that they are pleased to announce that they will be reducing our LPG in line with this? Not one. It is simply a case of profiteering and exploiting the difficulty in changing supplier. They know the hassle it is to go to another supplier who may well profiteer in the same when oil prices rise again. The OFT needs to sort out this unfair trading.
  • ironnick
    Options
    I signed my contract, which started on 14/12/07. That was for gas at .33ppl and a standing charge at 16.9 ppl. I intend to fill my 200lt tank to the brim, just prior to the end of the contract and hopefully last until April next year. I've noted that Caolr wont refil unless it's less than 40%, which it will be just under. Calor have just sent me a letter saying that the new price will be 40.65ppl (pointing out that this is a discount of 6.95ppl compared to the standard domestic taffif. This price will be guranteed until 01.04.09. The letter points out that the cost of LPG has fallen recently, but the increase has been offset by a sharp fall in the value of the £ against the US $. Anyone able to comment on this, given that oil is the same price now, that it was this time last year.
    Regards,
    Nick
  • Old_Sage_2
    Options
    They are trying to get you to sign binding 2 year contracts which are going to be the maximum time allowed on any supply contracts as of 13th April next year which is when the regulations come into force.
    Dont sign now but wait till April when you can shop around and get the best deal from whoever supplies your area.Typically you will find the independent suppliers are the cheapest as Calor and FloGas supply 75% of the market place between them and have it sewed up pretty nice by all accounts. Then the likes of BP and Shell supply another 15% with the balance shared by the independents.
    Dont sign anything untill April and dont let them tell you they will do this or that to your supply as they wont because they cant by law as they must maintain continuity of supply and already supply 1000's of customers who refuse to sign contracts as they have been ripped off before.
    I can guarantee there will be many of you who have same size tanks using exactly the same amounts but you will be charged whatever the companies can get away with as they rely on your apathy to rises and certainly dont pass on all or even part of the reductions.
    Be hard and stand up for yourself, and above all else DONT SIGN NOTHING TILL APRIL 2009 when yours deals will get much much better. Trust me on this one!
    :A
  • nc73
    nc73 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Old_Sage wrote: »
    They are trying to get you to sign binding 2 year contracts which are going to be the maximum time allowed on any supply contracts as of 13th April next year which is when the regulations come into force.
    Dont sign now but wait till April when you can shop around and get the best deal from whoever supplies your area.Typically you will find the independent suppliers are the cheapest as Calor and FloGas supply 75% of the market place between them and have it sewed up pretty nice by all accounts. Then the likes of BP and Shell supply another 15% with the balance shared by the independents.
    Dont sign anything untill April and dont let them tell you they will do this or that to your supply as they wont because they cant by law as they must maintain continuity of supply and already supply 1000's of customers who refuse to sign contracts as they have been ripped off before.
    I can guarantee there will be many of you who have same size tanks using exactly the same amounts but you will be charged whatever the companies can get away with as they rely on your apathy to rises and certainly dont pass on all or even part of the reductions.
    Be hard and stand up for yourself, and above all else DONT SIGN NOTHING TILL APRIL 2009 when yours deals will get much much better. Trust me on this one!
    :A
    Would this apply to new customers?? I moved into the rented house a few weeks ago but haven't signed anything and they said I have to sign.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback