FTB - Post Office First Start - Is this a good product?

Looking at this mortgage it seems a good idea whereby the FTB may have the deposit but may not have the salary in terms of affording the remaining value of the property, the affordability is then propped up by a family member taking their salary into account to cover and increase the amount required to borrow.

The guarantor family member doesn't need to be a named person on the title deed thus allowing me to primary name owner.

e.g. £300k Property Price
10-15% deposit
Annual salary £25000
Guarantor Salary - £50000
Post Office will allow me to borrow a maximum of £280k

Property prices in London obviously, outstrip the salary but I am wondering if this genuinely a good mortgage product or are there other alternatives similar to the Post Office First Start.

My salary is the problem and I am unable to take a mortgage as many mortgage calculators are only allowing me a maximum value of £150k.

Would appreciate the views and advice.
Thanks

Comments

• takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    HardQs wrote: »
    Looking at this mortgage it seems a good idea whereby the FTB may have the deposit but may not have the salary in terms of affording the remaining value of the property, the affordability is then propped up by a family member taking their salary into account to cover and increase the amount required to borrow.

The guarantor family member doesn't need to be a named person on the title deed thus allowing me to primary name owner.

e.g. £300k Property Price
    10-15% deposit
    Annual salary £25000
    Guarantor Salary - £50000
    Post Office will allow me to borrow a maximum of £280k

Property prices in London obviously, outstrip the salary but I am wondering if this genuinely a good mortgage product or are there other alternatives similar to the Post Office First Start.

My salary is the problem and I am unable to take a mortgage as many mortgage calculators are only allowing me a maximum value of £150k.

Would appreciate the views and advice.
    Thanks

Well using your figures you would have monthly mortgage payments of over £1000 being paid from a wage of around £1700 a month take home. So your going to be on a pretty tight budget each month and will have to live quite frugally.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,750 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    There are plenty of "joint borrower, sole proprietor" products on the market these days. They are what we used to call a guarantor mortgage where there were two borrowers, but only one owner.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure