Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 10th Mar 12, 9:51 AM
    • 1,943Posts
    • 11,208Thanks
    themadvix
    Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!
    • 10th Mar 12, 9:51 AM
    Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off! 10th Mar 12 at 9:51 AM
    Hi Everyone,
    Having been a long time lurker on this board whilst saving for a house deposit (you’re all so friendly and positive that it’s an inspiring place to ‘hang out’), my fiance and I completed on our first house yesterday!

It’s a three-bedroomed terraced house in Hertfordshire (hence the long saving period) with an 80% LTV mortgage of 132,999 with Natwest, fixed for 2 years at 3.79%.

There’s just the two of us (and our new two fish, Rosie and Jim, inherited with the house!), but I work from home, hence the need for a third bedroom as office space. We won’t be moving in until June as the house needs some work doing and we’re getting married in June so it seemed to be a sensible option (as we both currently live with our parents…tragic I know in my late 20s, but nice mortgage rate as a result).

Obviously with house needing work and a wedding looming, I don’t expect to be making much in the way of overpayments for a while (but this won’t stop me rounding numbers down or transferring small bits across). Another issue is that although DF is employed (and hopefully about to get a new job in the company ), I am self-employed and therefore my income varies drastically from month to month. However, I have built up a fairly solid client base over the last five years, and especially in the last year, so I hope that this will continue to improve and that I will be able to contribute to overpayments.

DF is the spreadsheet nut, so I’m hoping he’ll get it set up for me so I can play with figures soon (although I have no idea what a pivot table is and am not convinced I need to know! ) We’re already a very MSE couple having been saving for so long – we cashback, do surveys, shop around, get the freebies that are relevant to us and have already (having gone to the house last night) established that if I’m paying the energy bills we’ll be living in a cold house! In all seriousness though, we are both on board with the idea of overpaying the mortgage - it just makes sense!

So, for the moment this diary will be a place to record the small things I do as well as the little overpayments I make (once my mortgage shows up in online banking!). Once June has flown past and we’re back from our honeymoon, I’ll get a grip on income and expenditure and work out an SOA and how much we can regularly overpay.

Vicky

PS Long, long term, this isn’t our forever home and one day we’d like to build our own environmentally friendly home! But more of that in the future…
    Last edited by themadvix; 21-11-2016 at 5:06 PM. Reason: Because I got the interest rate wrong!!
Page 68
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 4th Oct 18, 9:37 AM
    • 1,943 Posts
    • 11,208 Thanks
    themadvix
    Thanks Newgirly. I love our box - it definitely helps with costs, although I do find we don't eat as many 'recipe-based' meals - i.e. we have stir fry/hm pizza/risotto using whatever we've got.
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 3085
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    Starting balance 2012: 132000; balance Jul 2018: 91,552
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 4th Oct 18, 9:44 AM
    • 1,943 Posts
    • 11,208 Thanks
    themadvix
    Morning all,

Not a lot to report. Americans still haven't paid, although they're now getting antsy for me to do more work, so here's hoping pressure is applied where necessary to get things moving. I'm never impressed (this happens fairly often) but unfortunately their work forms a large chunk of my income (and I enjoy the projects they send me), so I'm not really in a position to tell them where to go.

I *must* pay myself today - problem is, I tend to prioritise work.... which only goes so far toward paying the bills!

MS things:
    * Work blah blah blah
    * Clicks (and SBs survey again)
    * DH had free dinner at work (and probably eating at a work colleague's tonight - he's a Syrian refugee and is desperate to have DH round to experience their culture's hospitality! )

Gratitudes:
    * Good visit to zero-waste shop yesterday
    * Tested the Morrison 'bring your container' promise and got plastic-free fish pie mix
    * Had a nice evening with Dad (even if he didn't offer me any dinner )

Have a good day all!
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 3085
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 4th Oct 18, 10:41 AM
    • 29,846 Posts
    • 172,421 Thanks
    Karmacat
    their work forms a large chunk of my income (and I enjoy the projects they send me), so I'm not really in a position to tell them where to go.
    Originally posted by themadvix
    Sigh ... at least you can come on here, but its not good, is it.

I *must* pay myself today - problem is, I tend to prioritise work.... which only goes so far toward paying the bills!
    Erm, please pay yourself

* Clicks (and SBs survey again)
    I've suddenly hit a few days where I get a decent survey that means I get to the first goal. Didn't think that would ever happen again.

* DH had free dinner at work (and probably eating at a work colleague's tonight - he's a Syrian refugee and is desperate to have DH round to experience their culture's hospitality! )
    Awww. Very good idea to take him up on it, good for DH. My only experience of Syrian refugees is when I went private at my NHS dentist a few years ago, just for a one-off hygiene appointment - the hygienist was a Syrian refugee, a dentist working under his qualification levels to get his feet under the table, so to speak. He didn't last long as a hygienist because he went back to being a dentist he was brilliant.
    And I keep thinking of Syria as it was shown on Top Gear, the Iraq special, where Syria was the wonderful place where they were mobbed with fans and had lots of fun

* Tested the Morrison 'bring your container' promise and got plastic-free fish pie mix

Have a good day all!
    That Morrison's offer sounds *excellent*!

You have a good day too
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 4th Oct 18, 10:47 AM
    • 1,943 Posts
    • 11,208 Thanks
    themadvix
    Hey Karma,

Ditto re SBs - it makes such a difference to get a quick and easy survey. Must be bonus points collection day today, surely? *goes off to look* Nothing there yet

The Syrian guy is a chef, but working fixing vehicles.... the mind boggles, but the food should be good! (Maybe he'll bring me a goody bag home ) I'm not really sure DH had a choice in the matter - the colleague's accent was so thick and he was speaking so fast that DH had agreed to it before he knew what was going on. Tbh, he'd rather come home I think as he's been working so much recently, but this guy has been bugging him about dinner for a while, so I think it'll be good to go. I really feel for him and his wife - it must be so difficult to just have to up and leave (and he was here for some time without her too). I can't imagine what it must be like.
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 3085
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 4th Oct 18, 1:07 PM
    • 935 Posts
    • 2,923 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Hi vix,

I keep meaning to take a container to Morrisons but keep forgetting *sigh* I only buy sausages and salmon for the children once every few weeks but it would be nice to get it without packaging! I need to keep some tubs with my shopping bags. It's great the they offer the service though

Fingers crossed for a goody bag from the Syrian chef
    Mortgage March 2011 143,927.6
    Mortgage Oct 2018 83,688.04
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 4th Oct 18, 1:12 PM
    • 1,943 Posts
    • 11,208 Thanks
    themadvix
    It was great Crumpets - no weird looks, no questions, no anxiety that they'd feel the need to wrap my food in random sheets of plastic - bliss! And there's a Morrisons in the town where the zero-waste shop is, so I'm already thinking about containers etc. (Morrisons offers 3 hours free parking too )
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 3085
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 4th Oct 18, 7:18 PM
    • 935 Posts
    • 2,923 Thanks
    Crumpets
    I wish we had a nearby zero waste shop! how do you find the prices there? We have a new farm shop opened that sells porridge oats, dried fruit and granola in your own container. It's quite pricey though, and I always buy oats in a cardboard box anyway...Will definitely take my containers shopping next week
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 4th Oct 18, 7:39 PM
    • 1,943 Posts
    • 11,208 Thanks
    themadvix
    They're not bad. To be honest, I've been buying as plastic-free/organic as possible for a long time, so I stopped looking at prices (to some extent) as it just wasn't as important to me (should I be admitting this here?!). It's a new shop and they keep reducing prices as they get better deals on things, which is brilliant. Their organic porridge oats are now cheaper than I can get non-organic from the supermarket that DH works for even when they're on offer (frequently) and including staff discount. Rice is same price as Uncle Ben's (plastic free and expensive!) - it may have gone down in price too, but I didn't check. Tea is much pricier though, so I've stuck to loose PG, which, in fairness is almost plastic free (cardboard box with a dubious plastic/papery end on each end of thebox - no plastic film).
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 3085
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 4th Oct 18, 7:53 PM
    • 935 Posts
    • 2,923 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Thanks for the info, one has opened up in a nearby city that I visit once a month so I'll take a look next time I go. That's great that the prices aren't too bad Hopefully ours will be the same.

We use the pg tips loose tee too...it's as close as we can get plastic free locally
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 15th Oct 18, 9:27 AM
    • 1,943 Posts
    • 11,208 Thanks
    themadvix
    *Creeps back in*

Whoops.... work and life have got in the way rather in the last two weeks.... anyway, big project now handed back, so hopefully a better work/life/moneysaving balance is to be had!

Thursday DH and I went up to London for the day - we had a voucher for a brewery tour in the evening, so we thought we'd make the most of it. In the end it was a very cheap day - train and Tube costs and then 2.90 of real money on lunch (Cafe Rouge, but meerkat movies and LVs from S&S combined ). We started with a cuppa and biscuits in the Virgin money lounge on Haymarket (free as we have VM credit cards) and then had a cuppa in Starbucks in the afternoon using the credit earned on SBs and we got 3 halves of beer each with our tour. We would have grabbed something to eat at the station in the evening, but there was a fast train about to depart, so we just had some cereal when we got in!

Saturday the Brownies and I visited the fire station and then had a pub lunch and then in the afternoon I met an old school friend for a cuppa and catch up (she lives on an island so we only see each other very rarely!). Yesterday I braved the rain briefly to go to the garden centre as they'd sent me another 5 no minimum spend voucher - bought some cabbage plants and some organic, wool-based slug repellant, which is supposed to be really good. In the afternoon I made mincemeat, which was surprisingly easy and smelt delicious! (Thanks Mary Berry!) It used some of the unopened bottle of rum we found lurking in the back of a kitchen cupboard when we moved in! It's good to have a use for it at last!

This morning, I have finally managed to do some surveys - they've just been being binned as I've not had time. I have managed to keep up with clicks/SBs/VB poll though as these provide a quick bit of light relief!

MS things:
    * Food has largely been from stores - we have lots in and a vague meal plan, so shouldn't need to spend much
    * Veg box cancelled this week as we still have plenty
    * Very cheap day out in London (unintentionally!)
    * No heating yet and it's not even been hard to keep to this

Gratitudes:
    * Great day out in London
    * That I don't work or live in London
    * For a warm, dry house yesterday and today (and garage roof doesn't leak either!)
    * For a gentle day yesterday

Right, I'll try to come back tomorrow (and have stuff to report!)!
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 3085
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • try harder
    • By try harder 15th Oct 18, 5:09 PM
    • 793 Posts
    • 3,087 Thanks
    try harder
    Good to see you back
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Oct 18, 7:54 PM
    • 29,846 Posts
    • 172,421 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That sounds like you stacked your vouchers and discounts really well on your London trip always nice to do that. And here's to work-life balance
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 16th Oct 18, 10:30 AM
    • 1,943 Posts
    • 11,208 Thanks
    themadvix
    Morning all,

Thanks TH, and yes, Karma, we did, although it wasn't what we'd intended to eat!

Had a lovely day yesterday - mum and niece popped round for lunch and we wrapped up and went for a walk to the post office and play area. Had a use-up pasta dinner of various bits and pieces - was lovely and enough for lunch for both of us today too.

This morning I have more work (yay!) and have washing on the line (forecast is for it to brighten up!) and more in the machine. Bread is proving too, so feeling a bit more back on track. Have been to the post box for a survey item already and have another to do later.

HMRC **still** haven't repaid me my overpaid tax. I rang them on 4th and the man I spoke to assured me it would be back in my account within 5 days. So I'll be ringing again this morning and asking why it isn't there and can I please have the interest owed too! It's really taking the mick now.

If I get the chance I'll pop to town to pay in a couple of cheques from the Brownies (including for lunch on Saturday - lots of airmiles earned )

Gratitudes:
    * Time with mum and niece yesterday (I definitely see less of niece now sis is back at work 4 days a week )
    * Thick alpaca wool socks and sheep-shaped wheat bag (still no heating )
    * Autumnwatch in New England - what an amazing variety of wildlife!

Work beckons.... have a good day!
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 3085
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,892Posts Today

8,462Users online

Martin's Twitter