Universal JObmatch

Comments

• xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    I fiddle on my phone too at times. like most people.

Yeah its correct, your normal adviser may be away, so anybody could be covering and they would need access. like i said, in the eyes of everyone else, you and your job search is not as important or interesting as you think. outside of seeing you, they would rather fiddle on their phone over looking at your job search for the heck of it.

Totally up to you what you do, just bear in mind, they can make your life difficult too.
  • Stylehutz
    Stylehutz Posts: 351 Forumite
    I fiddle on my phone too at times. like most people.

Yeah its correct, your normal adviser may be away, so anybody could be covering and they would need access. like i said, in the eyes of everyone else, you and your job search is not as important or interesting as you think. outside of seeing you, they would rather fiddle on their phone over looking at your job search for the heck of it.

Totally up to you what you do, just bear in mind, they can make your life difficult too.

She implied all job centre staff can view your account not just the person who might be standing in. Think Mattcanary throws up some valid arguments. what if your computer is out of action, off to repair etc. They wont believe you even if it is and would probably sanction you as you wont be able to log on to your account every day. Also by giving them access, they will see what jobs they will force you to apply for and as we all know, the website is not fit for purpose
  • xapprenticex
    Is any of that based on fact or just anecdotal? What if you run our of paper and all your pens run out and you're broke!!!!!!! No job search!!!!

Thats what the scenarios you portrayed sounds like to me personally.

Like I said, all advisers will be able to look at a persons job search, the cleaners and security will not. So no issue there.

Do peoples computers break nowadays? Maybe im lucky. Anyway, lets assume modern mobiles dont exist.

If your PC did break, you would go into the centre and do your job search there, they provide computers because some people dont have a PC 100% of the time, yet manage fine.

How do you know they wont believe you, as long as your PC is not broken forever then there is no issue, they will believe you initally but after a month you had better start getting proactive (i mentioned a solution above).

Also if they REALLY want you to apply for something they will make you anyway, whether they make you do it while there or over the phone in their presence.

By all means, do it your way, get their backs up potentially, but let us know how it goes.
  • mattcanary
    mattcanary Posts: 4,420 Forumite
    edited 23 June 2017 at 3:36AM
    Is any of that based on fact or just anecdotal? What if you run our of paper and all your pens run out and you're broke!!!!!!! No job search!!!!

Like I said, all advisers will be able to look at a persons job search, the cleaners and security will not. So no issue there.

Do peoples computers break nowadays? Maybe im lucky. Anyway, lets assume modern mobiles dont exist.

If your PC did break, you would go into the centre and do your job search there, they provide computers because some people don't have a PC 100% of the time, yet manage fine.

How do you know they wont believe you, as long as your PC is not broken forever then there is no issue, they will believe you initially but after a month you had better start getting proactive (i mentioned a solution above).

Also if they REALLY want you to apply for something they will make you anyway, whether they make you do it while there or over the phone in their presence.

By all means, do it your way, get their backs up potentially, but let us know how it goes.

Have you actually tries using a computer at the Jobcentre?
    Because I have - you can;t access most websites. How can you effectively apply for jobs in that scenario??!!

A laptop I used to rent from Hughes did break a few years ago and it had to be taken in by Hughes. They had it for about a week. Fortunately I live ten minutes walk from the city centre so I could go to the library. Many people aren't that lucky and cannot afford to regularly spend money on bus fares or petrol to get to their nearest library regularly.

I don;t actually have a mobile phone at the moment - let alone smartphone either. On which, you cannot effectively apply for jobs anyway. It's not easy to fill out application forms using a tiny mobile phone keypad.

Your CV on UJM can be viewed by those outside of the DWP, if you allow access. Even if it was just the DWP, why would I take the risk of being sanctioned? They are not likely to accept that your computer is broken as a valid reason for not temporarily using Universal Jobmatch. Why should I subject myself to Big Brother anyway?

I really can;t understand why anyone would given the DWP access to your details on the website, to be honest.

PS: I am actually in full-time work at the moment but I have had periods out of work.
  • Stylehutz

If your PC did break, you would go into the centre and do your job search there, they provide computers because some people dont have a PC 100% of the time, yet manage fine.

How do you know they wont believe you, as long as your PC is not broken forever then there is no issue, they will believe you initally but after a month you had better start getting proactive (i mentioned a solution above).

So not allowing them access gets their back up. If they dont care either way why does it not state the option of providing job search evidence on paper as an alternative which it doesnt do. It tries to Trick people into allowing the advisers access on your account. As mattccanary states its not easy to update daily activity search on a mobile phone like I am doing. Maybe they expect me to buy a laptop or ipad just to suit them.
  • xapprenticex
    Cool dude, good luck with it all anyway. Laters.
  • Stylehutz
    Cool dude, good luck with it all anyway. Laters.

They were fine about it. Stated just the practical reason that it is not easy using a small mobile phone to update your daily activity job search. Rather do it on paper plus noone can access your account, send you spam emails or make me apply for fake jobs on a website not fit for purpose.
  • Profligate
    Profligate Posts: 41 Forumite
    OP, the number of hours you have to work-search for in a week should be written on your Jobseeker's Agreement or Claimant Commitment (whichever you have).

Make sure that you meet those hours, and do any specific things you've agreed to do (eg write a CV) . Most importantly, make sure you keep a record of everything you've done and the time you started and finished, as 'evidence' .

Your work search requirements need to be reasonable & achievable for you - taking into account childcare needs, or health conditions etc.
    Good luck
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    When my OH and I were signing on last year, we were both told that we had to have a UJM account, and had to log on to it every day, and make an entry to prove that.
    I used to frequently tell them how rubbish it was and how many scam/non existent vacancies/dead links there were on there.
    We eventually found jobs through Reed and Totaljobs.
    The DWP are totally useless and played no part whatsoever in getting me work. They seem to exist purely as a means to sanction or intimidate people.
  • xapprenticex
    andygb wrote: »
    When my OH and I were signing on last year, we were both told that we had to have a UJM account, and had to log on to it every day, and make an entry to prove that.
    I used to frequently tell them how rubbish it was and how many scam/non existent vacancies/dead links there were on there.
    We eventually found jobs through Reed and Totaljobs.
    The DWP are totally useless and played no part whatsoever in getting me work. They seem to exist purely as a means to sanction or intimidate people.

You are correct in a way, they exist to get you off JSA and into a job.

You dont HAVE to apply through UJM, you can use reed (which tbf, has just as many fake jobs) and make a note of the job you applied for in the notes section of UJM, it was intended to be a way of keeping track of everything through the website and saving on handing out paper.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure