Splitting the CAB board into sub-boards

Hi all

After a suggestion made last week we’re planning to split the CAB board into four sub-boards, one for each of the current areas CAB covers.

The current plan is to make the changes later this week and hopefully you’ll then be able to see more easily which topics are covered and which aren't, as well as helping the bureaux find questions more easily.

MSE Wendy
*** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***

Comments

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Hi Wendy,

Could I ask you to clarify whether or not duplicate threads will be permitted across the 4 separate sub-boards please?

I know in the past, you have posted to say a duplicate would be permitted on the CAB board even if it was posted on one other board elsewhere, but I fear without this clarification, some may start posting the same question on all 4 CAB sub-boards.
    (I'm sure someone will come up with a query that could equally apply to any of the sub-boards)
  • We would discourage people from doing this Wywth - hoping people will post their question in the most relevant sub board - but will see how frequently it is happening in practice and get feedback from the CAB reps before giving any stronger guidance.

MSE Wendy
    *** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Well given the large proportion of threads that are currently started that don't fall into any of the four categories covered by the CAB I can see this going one of two ways: either people will only post the right subject on the right board, and all will be sweetness and light, or they will carry on posting topics that aren't covered and will post in more than one board because they don't know where it should go, and there will be even more chaos than there is now.

I still fail to see any need for a separate CAB section at all, every post made on their board could have gone elsewhere, would probably have been answered more quickly there, and if the CAB reps want to reply they could simply monitor the boards covering their chosen subject areas. It's an unnecessary complication that causes more confusion than help to my mind.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,693
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It will mean 4 wrong places for posts instead of just one. IMO this board is not fit for purpose. The majority of posts are outwith the decided remit of the CAB reps. Of the ones that are the majority are answered, after several days wait, with a stock "contact your local office". I know that Martin wants to be seen to be doing the right thing for consumer advice and assisting the CAB but I am afraid this board is not the way.
  • CAB_National_Representative
    CAB_National_Representative Posts: 220 Organisation Representative
    molerat wrote: »
    It will mean 4 wrong places for posts instead of just one. IMO this board is not fit for purpose. The majority of posts are outwith the decided remit of the CAB reps. Of the ones that are the majority are answered, after several days wait, with a stock "contact your local office". I know that Martin wants to be seen to be doing the right thing for consumer advice and assisting the CAB but I am afraid this board is not the way.

Hi molerat - thank you for the comments. We welcome feedback on the board and how it has been set up (including having to limit the topics covered, as we only have a small number of bureaux involved in the pilot) - especially as we've just started work on evaluating how this pilot project has gone, what has worked and what has not. We will soon be posting a link to a user survey, as part of that evaluation work.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • Hi all,

You've probably noticed we're doing this now. If everyone could bear with us while we move threads to the new boards that would be great.

Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • All moves now taken place. Please comment in this thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3991109 on how you think the change has helped or hindered :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure