Emergency Savings Alternative

Options

Comments

• FatherAbraham
    FatherAbraham Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    Are you for real? You honestly believe that there is any real chance of all the banks being closed? If that were to happen then you would find it very hard to buy anything as all of the shops would be relying on the banks to be operating too.

I'm sure that you know very well that in neither Greece nor Cyprus was it hard to buy good in shops during the bank shutterings as long as one had cash to pay for food.

It's clear that there's a finite chance of all the banks being closed in a financial crisis: it happens occasionally, and apparently unpredictably (otherwise it wouldn't catch so many people out).

It's clear that there's a rather larger chance of one's favoured bank being unable to meet depositors' demands for withdrawals. We've seen it happen to Northern Rock. To a more limited degree, it's happened when UK banks have suffered IT systems outages.

It is prudent to insure against these risks by holding some cash.

Your talking about buying guns implies a much more unlikely state of affairs: that the national state itself breaks down. Confusing that risk with the likelihood of interruptions in the payments and banking system is probably not helpful.

Warmest regards,
    FA
    Thus the old Gentleman ended his Harangue. The People heard it, and approved the Doctrine, and immediately practised the Contrary, just as if it had been a common Sermon; for the Vendue opened ...
    THE WAY TO WEALTH, Benjamin Franklin, 1758 AD
  • Joe_Bloggs
    Joe_Bloggs Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    In a disaster scenario caused by war/ nature/ ideology it may make sense to hold a variety of non cash items that can be traded for goods and services. There is a significant expertise of refugees as to understand what is essential to get around this world.

It is alleged that toilet rolls are the thing to hold in Venezuela rather than the bolivar currency! Inflation is a currency killer but it does encourage the wheelbarrow manufacturing sector as a cash payment platform.

You could go all out NRA and demand the right to hold weapons to defend yourself against those who hold weapons that might try to take your life and then your goods and weapons. Some may see this as a circle of despair.

J_B.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sure that you know very well that in neither Greece nor Cyprus was it hard to buy good in shops during the bank shutterings as long as one had cash to pay for food.

There are completely different infrastructures and customs in how retailers operate in Greece compared to the UK. You cannot expect the same to occur here.
    It's clear that there's a finite chance of all the banks being closed in a financial crisis: it happens occasionally, and apparently unpredictably (otherwise it wouldn't catch so many people out).

An infinitessimally small one, not least as a result of ring-fencing, and as I pointed out, if it were to happen, then having some banknotes and coins would not make up for the ensuing chaos. Having some food in your freezer and cupboards would, however, provide short term protection.

Furthermore, the chance of all the banks and credit card providers going bust at the same time would have required an unprecedented global financial meltdown. It is more likely, although still extremely unlikely, that some of these banks in your near-apocalyptic scenario, would have perfectly sound balance sheets, but be suffering from a liquidity issue, and this is where the Bank of England steps in with liquidity insurance.
    It's clear that there's a rather larger chance of one's favoured bank being unable to meet depositors' demands for withdrawals. We've seen it happen to Northern Rock.

I did say that having more than one account, each with a different bank, or using credit cards from different providers was insurance against this. You've also ignored the fact that banking regulations have changed since the run on Northern Rock. Ring-fencing has stopped banks from using assets in their retail banking for investment banking. The risk of a similar issue to Northern Rock occurring again has, therefore, been significantly reduced.
    To a more limited degree, it's happened when UK banks have suffered IT systems outages.[

This is not even vaguely the same as a bank collapsing. Those banks are still trading and access to funds is still available through branches and ATMs, and normally via telephone banking too.
    It is prudent to insure against these risks by holding some cash.

Hey, if you want to do that then so be it, but it isn't really necessary.
    Your talking about buying guns implies a much more unlikely state of affairs: that the national state itself breaks down. Confusing that risk with the likelihood of interruptions in the payments and banking system is probably not helpful.

I was making the point that you are on the verge of adopting a survivalist mindset.

If you think that the complete collapse of the banking system would not result in serious outbreaks of lawlessness and disorder then you are in for a shock should it ever happen.
    Warmest regards,
    FA

Still disingenuous.
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    FatherAbraham always uses this in their signature so it is not directed to anyone in particular.

Some people may infer more into it but I see it as merely being polite.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    RG2015 wrote: »
    FatherAbraham always uses this in their signature so it is not directed to anyone in particular.

Some people may infer more into it but I see it as merely being polite.

That would be fine if they hadn't been condescending and trying to score points in the same post.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 May 2018 at 7:45PM
    Options
    Not only cash: we insure against supply chain disruption by keeping a stock of food, bottled water, aluminium cooking foil, bin liners, and bog rolls. We keep a stock of wine automatically by shopping when it's "25% off for six bottles".

Maybe we ought to store some propane and diesel too but we approximate to the latter by always keeping the tank on our car pretty full. We have decided not to buy a little electrical generator.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I store petrol and keep it fresh by adding fuel stabiliser. Those zombies won't stand a chance against my self propelling lawnmower. I also have a sharp axe which might cut through soggy bone...
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Why dull your axe when everybody knows that a billiard ball cue or a selection of old vinyl works just as well, and if that fails just go upstairs :cheesy:
  • Peelerfart
    Peelerfart Posts: 2,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yippee! I just found out I'm safe. I have OCD about running out of toilet rolls.

Now bring on the Venezuelan zombies.

I'm ready.
    Space available for rent
  • Joe_Bloggs
    Joe_Bloggs Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    Some might think that an obsession with the preparations for an unknown future have just a Caracas mentality.

This ring fencing proposal sounds a bit extreme. Where is the ring and who does the fencing? Can we have competitive ring fencing ?

J_B.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport