Childminder discepences

Comments

• Fefee
    Fefee Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    In the contract she can terminate with 1 month notice. So she has done that.
    It's not really a legally issue more off a moral one and treating it like a ruthless business women wither I expect to be more caring about my child.
    The way she done it aseell
    Getting me to pay 1st then send the email.
  • mattyprice4004
    mattyprice4004 Posts: 7,492 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You’ve admitted she’s fine to do this legally, so there’s no point seeing a solicitor etc.
    It’s rubbish but there’s nothing you can do - if you use the next month or not is up to you, but you’re not entitled to a refund.
  • Fefee
    Yes I know just trying to see if anybody had any other ideas.
    I will write a complaint and give her a review saying how dissatisfied I was her service but would rather a refund.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Fefee wrote: »
    Yes I know just trying to see if anybody had any other ideas.
    I will write a complaint and give her a review saying how dissatisfied I was her service but would rather a refund.

I repeat, does the contract allow either party (you or her) to end the contract upon 1 months notice? I was asking for a reason.
    Part 1 of Schedule 2 states that the following may be unfair:
    (7) A term which has the object or effect of authorising the trader to
    dissolve the contract on a discretionary basis where the same
    facility is not granted to the consumer …

Its a longshot but probably your only shot.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,989 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    There's nothing you can do because you entered into this arrangement with full knowledge of the possibilities. Writing a bad review smacks of bitterness because she's done nothing wrong. If you wanted surety and continuity you should have sought a proper nursery. Whilst childminders are a good option, they are vulnerable to changes in circumstances such as illness, family crises and so on and people that engage them should bear this in mind. You expect flexibility to suit your lifestyle and your child's needs but don't see that both ways. I'm sure if you wanted to take your son out of the arrangement you would do so promptly, so why is her ending the arrangement immoral? They also don't earn a huge amount (presumably this is one of the reasons you chose a childminder?) so it's understandable if they can earn more by switching clients that they do so.

I had this argument with a relative of mine who paid childminder hourly rates but expected a nursery level of service. She was quite indignant when the childminder had to abruptly take a break because of a family bereavement and she couldn't get her daughter into a nursery quickly. She had also complained previously when the childminder added 30p to the hourly rate, at which point I pointed out that she was quite happy to pay something like ten times that hourly rate for the dealership to service her car but was quibbling over the cost of looking after her most loved possession?!
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    There's nothing you can do because you entered into this arrangement with full knowledge of the possibilities. Writing a bad review smacks of bitterness because she's done nothing wrong. If you wanted surety and continuity you should have sought a proper nursery. Whilst childminders are a good option, they are vulnerable to changes in circumstances such as illness, family crises and so on and people that engage them should bear this in mind. You expect flexibility to suit your lifestyle and your child's needs but don't see that both ways. I'm sure if you wanted to take your son out of the arrangement you would do so promptly, so why is her ending the arrangement immoral? They also don't earn a huge amount (presumably this is one of the reasons you chose a childminder?) so it's understandable if they can earn more by switching clients that they do so.!

I disagree entirely. Writing a bad review is entirely appropriate because the childminder isn't considering the needs of the child at all. To insist on seeing out the full one-months notice period, (which the minder has given the day after starting the contract) rather than agreeing to an early termination, is a very poor way to treat a child.
  • Fefee
    Thank so much thumbremote .
    I agree completely , she is the business of child CARE .
  • Fefee
    They only I have left is to tell her if she doesn't refund me then I will file a complaint plus bad reviews
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,731 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    A spot of blackmail then. That should go down well.

And you still haven't answered the question posed in post 16.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    There's nothing you can do because you entered into this arrangement with full knowledge of the possibilities. Writing a bad review smacks of bitterness because she's done nothing wrong. If you wanted surety and continuity you should have sought a proper nursery. Whilst childminders are a good option, they are vulnerable to changes in circumstances such as illness, family crises and so on and people that engage them should bear this in mind. You expect flexibility to suit your lifestyle and your child's needs but don't see that both ways. I'm sure if you wanted to take your son out of the arrangement you would do so promptly, so why is her ending the arrangement immoral? They also don't earn a huge amount (presumably this is one of the reasons you chose a childminder?) so it's understandable if they can earn more by switching clients that they do so.

I had this argument with a relative of mine who paid childminder hourly rates but expected a nursery level of service. She was quite indignant when the childminder had to abruptly take a break because of a family bereavement and she couldn't get her daughter into a nursery quickly. She had also complained previously when the childminder added 30p to the hourly rate, at which point I pointed out that she was quite happy to pay something like ten times that hourly rate for the dealership to service her car but was quibbling over the cost of looking after her most loved possession?!

Legally shes done nothing wrong. However theres a difference between legality and morality. Morally, which is objective, it can easily be argued she has. And thats exactly what reviews are for. I would want to know the character of the childminder im sending my child to. The decent thing to do would be to allow the parent to take the child out now.

Queue jumping isnt illegal, yet theres not many people who wouldnt call it wrong.

Its a kin to going in to tesco, picking up the last tin of beans and going to pay, as the cashier is scanning it someone says theyll pay 10p more for it and the cashier hands it over to them.

I had a similar problem at a nursery. Daughter kept getting bit, after the 5th time we said we wouldnt be taking her back. Everyone was dissapointed. Daughter had 2 days and was expected for another 6 in that billing period. When the bill came round we didnt get sent one, not even for the 2 days she did attend. We spoke to the nursery and they said they didnt feel like they could charge us for it. A direct consequence of that is we dont bad mouth the nursery. Had they charged us for the 8 days she shouldve been there id be a lot more willing to discuss them.

Its customer service and it sounds like the childminder doesnt have it. Being millitant about the money when shes reneging, id imagine, is something most people would want to avoid and would like to know about.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure