Claim guys reclaiming Ppi

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,296 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I got a cold call from The Claims Guys two weeks ago.

They rang my business line and before I could get a word in they were telling me my PPi was mis-sold and I could claim back. I have never taken any PPI and when I told her I was an IFA she didnt seem to know what that was and asked if I had any loans as they could be claimed back as well.

The phone call was thoroughly unprofessional and the person I spoke to didnt have a clue about me or what an IFA was but was happy to tell me I was mis-sold.

I would say avoid them at all cost as it just sounded like opportunistic cold calling trying to get money out of me.

I should also add that I am TPS, so they broke the rules there as well
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    dunstonh wrote: »
    I got a cold call from The Claims Guys two weeks ago.

They rang my business line and before I could get a word in they were telling me my PPi was mis-sold and I could claim back. I have never taken any PPI and when I told her I was an IFA she didnt seem to know what that was and asked if I had any loans as they could be claimed back as well.

The phone call was thoroughly unprofessional and the person I spoke to didnt have a clue about me or what an IFA was but was happy to tell me I was mis-sold.

I would say avoid them at all cost as it just sounded like opportunistic cold calling trying to get money out of me.

I should also add that I am TPS, so they broke the rules there as well

Thanks for posting on this Dunstonh.:T:T
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • bean64
    bean64 Posts: 13 Forumite
    edited 19 October 2009 at 10:36PM
    i-smart charge fees of 25% PLUS ANY interest you manage to get, so in effect had I gone through them for my barclaycard PPI, I would have got £1500.............

I did it myself with template letters from this site and got £6000.............

i-smart would have pocketed £4500............

NOW GO AND GET A STAMP!!!!!!!!!!

edit: it may only have been 10% plus interest, but sometimes theinterest on these claims is MASSIVE in my case 60% of the payout.
  • di3004
    bean64 wrote: »
    i-smart charge fees of 25% PLUS ANY interest you manage to get, so in effect had I gone through them for my barclaycard PPI, I would have got £1500.............

I did it myself with template letters from this site and got £6000.............

i-smart would have pocketed £4500............

NOW GO AND GET A STAMP!!!!!!!!!!

edit: it may only have been 10% plus interest, but sometimes theinterest on these claims is MASSIVE in my case 60% of the payout.

And well done to you.
    :beer::T:beer:
  • Received another letter from i-smart today. They have managed to get £225 from Barclaycard for PFI, which will be credited to our account. The bill from i-smart is £64.84. Looks like I will have to pay them, oh well, you live and learn. Kicking myself though, i should have checked out the site before signing anything!
  • You can still do it all yourself, you don't have to listen to them at all if you don't want to. They work for you remember.

The bank sent me the paperwork direct, which i-smart arent aware of, infact their literature states not to accept anything from the bank but to send direct to them. They have already sent me their fee for Barclaycard, £64. Barclaycard to credit us with £225.
  • di3004
    murphy39 wrote: »
    Received another letter from i-smart today. They have managed to get £225 from Barclaycard for PFI, which will be credited to our account. The bill from i-smart is £64.84. Looks like I will have to pay them, oh well, you live and learn. Kicking myself though, i should have checked out the site before signing anything!

I agree, we all do live and learn, not to worry, you are aware of this site now and if you have anything else to reclaim, you know where to come.;)
    Well done anyway.:beer:
  • bean64
    bean64 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Just another word of warning for those who wish to use "claims managers" for their claims.

In my first case, I didnt worry too much about the cash sum as it was just "free money" wasnt it?

It had gone from my account so anything I got back was a bonus!

I asked i-smart to look into my barclaycard fees and charges, and I receiveda letter from BC to refund about £350 with no input from i-smart other than a letter probably, so being me and the opportunity arising I kept schtumm, it took i-smart a whole year to ask me for a payment of about £96 (not bad for a letter) I`m extremely chuffed it was the small claim first.

The big one comes when I asked BC myself to prove to me that I had signed up for PPI in 1992, short answer, they couldnt!

So PPI + interest +8% since 1992 adds up to almost £6K, get in there, now how they got to the figure was VERY interesting........

They took my PPI payments from the last 6 years (statutory limits), well they had to didnt they cos thats when they claim to have records going back to!! and if they say to me hey, we got your records back to 1992, then it makes all statutory claims NULL AND VOID and they will be legally challenged to provide records back for 17 yrs for the next claimant.

Anyway, they came up with a formula: average last 6 yrs of PPI payments divided by 6 multiplied by 17. In effect 17 yrs of PPI payments calculated at £2000 plus interest plus 8% equals £6000.

I hardly used my card for the first 10 yrs so there was no way on this earth I had payed on average £10 per month for PPI, which is roughly what this equated to so I thought "I`m quids in here". In effect I had pulled one over on the bank. I think my PPI in 1993 must have been about £2 per month but who is going to complain.

Folks, it really only took 2 or 3 letters and a few phone calls so if you dont want to do it for yourselves do it for the power of the site and the trouble people on here have gone to to make it so easy, I salute you Martin, you are one of my heros (well next to Kenny Dalglish!)

Oh, and as an afterthought.....i-smart had got me a refund of £350 minus commission for the last 6 years. By my calculations, BC owed me money on PPI to offset any charges throughout the period of my contract so I have fired another rocket demanding ALL charges for the past 17 years, and if they cant find them I am willing to have the previous 6 yrs aggregated (in the same way as my PPI was) then multiplied by 17 yrs and interest added too. ITS NOT MY FAULT THEY OVERCHARGED ME!!!
    So I await refunds totalling another K or 2 with baited breath, they dont like it up them mr Manwairing.
  • So did you go back to Barclaycard after accepting their offer via i-smart?
    we received letter to say that £225 would be credited to our card along with their bill for £64.
    The bank have sent me a settlement figure with i-smart dont know about yet. I intend to call them tomorrow and query their charge.
    bean64 wrote: »
    Just another word of warning for those who wish to use "claims managers" for their claims.

In my first case, I didnt worry too much about the cash sum as it was just "free money" wasnt it?

It had gone from my account so anything I got back was a bonus!

I asked i-smart to look into my barclaycard fees and charges, and I receiveda letter from BC to refund about £350 with no input from i-smart other than a letter probably, so being me and the opportunity arising I kept schtumm, it took i-smart a whole year to ask me for a payment of about £96 (not bad for a letter) I`m extremely chuffed it was the small claim first.

The big one comes when I asked BC myself to prove to me that I had signed up for PPI in 1992, short answer, they couldnt!

So PPI + interest +8% since 1992 adds up to almost £6K, get in there, now how they got to the figure was VERY interesting........

They took my PPI payments from the last 6 years (statutory limits), well they had to didnt they cos thats when they claim to have records going back to!! and if they say to me hey, we got your records back to 1992, then it makes all statutory claims NULL AND VOID and they will be legally challenged to provide records back for 17 yrs for the next claimant.

Anyway, they came up with a formula: average last 6 yrs of PPI payments divided by 6 multiplied by 17. In effect 17 yrs of PPI payments calculated at £2000 plus interest plus 8% equals £6000.

I hardly used my card for the first 10 yrs so there was no way on this earth I had payed on average £10 per month for PPI, which is roughly what this equated to so I thought "I`m quids in here". In effect I had pulled one over on the bank. I think my PPI in 1993 must have been about £2 per month but who is going to complain.

Folks, it really only took 2 or 3 letters and a few phone calls so if you dont want to do it for yourselves do it for the power of the site and the trouble people on here have gone to to make it so easy, I salute you Martin, you are one of my heros (well next to Kenny Dalglish!)

Oh, and as an afterthought.....i-smart had got me a refund of £350 minus commission for the last 6 years. By my calculations, BC owed me money on PPI to offset any charges throughout the period of my contract so I have fired another rocket demanding ALL charges for the past 17 years, and if they cant find them I am willing to have the previous 6 yrs aggregated (in the same way as my PPI was) then multiplied by 17 yrs and interest added too. ITS NOT MY FAULT THEY OVERCHARGED ME!!!
    So I await refunds totalling another K or 2 with baited breath, they dont like it up them mr Manwairing.
  • dmjar
    dmjar Posts: 17 Forumite
    Hi Everyone.

Just to make clear from the start before I say a word, I work for The Claims Guys BUT anything I say is my own views and nothing related to the Claims Guys Ltd or Lead-X Ltd.

Like all of yourselves I am a "enthusiastic" money saver. In fact I even claimed back my PPI on a loan from about 8 or 9 years back myself.

Im just going to express my opinion.

The claims guys do provide a good service for people who are too busy to do this themselves as you need to send 3 letters and respond to any correspondance from the banks/lenders. Plus they will undoubtably take more notice of a letter printed on a solicitors letterhead than one from a private individual.

Also one thing that people often forget is that not everyone has access to the internet and this great website to help them.

If you do have any questions or any worries about the company their website is available if you search for it.

Also they get the information from Comparison websites (MoneySupermarket etc) to name but a few. If you dont want to be contacted by companies like this make sure that you always check the "do not wish for information to be passed onto partners" box.

As i said I am not expressing views of the company just my own personal views.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure