Calendar apps for tablet - suggestions?

Savvy_Sue
Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Just bought my first tablet, Lenovo Tab7 Essential.

Can anyone recommend a Calendar app which will let me view both my work and my personal calendar simultaneously?

At work I (have to) use Microsoft Outlook, and at home we use Google Calendar.

On my phone (a Samsung) I can view both using S Planner, but at work I can't add my Google Calendar, and in Google Calendar I can only send an invitation to use that, not share it.

have to say I much prefer the Google interface, if that helps with ideas.

And sorry if this is a really numpty question ...
Signature removed for peace of mind

Comments

• RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Have a look at Calengoo
    I've been using it for years, both on Android and IOS.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Thanks, that's obviously well liked.

Presumably we'd need to buy it for each device we used it on?

Any freebies? Any to definitely avoid?
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 10 May 2018 at 2:00PM
    No, as long as you are using the same account on each device, i.e phone and tablet, you can use it on any device.
    I bought mine years ago when I had IOS and it just transferred to my android account as far as I can remember, I certainly don't recall purchasing it again.
    There is a free trial HERE
    You could try Business Calendar
    There is a free version of that and you can go pro if you really like it.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • Why don't you stick with Google Calendar? You can add your work Outlook calendar (if they have enabled it for work) to Google. In Outlook, in calendar view, right click on your calendar name, and select Share / Share Calendar. Type in the email address associated with your Google account (and Google calendar), select the sharing level under the Details drop-down, and click Send.

In GMail, you'll receive the sharing email. Copy the URL (the first one, ending in ICS). Go to your Google Calendar, and select (on the new UI) "+" next to "Add a colleague's calendar, then select "From URL". Paste that .ICS URL you previously copied in to this field, and click Add Calendar.

You should now see your work Outlook calendar in Google Calendar.

This should carry through to Google Apps etc now as well, because as far as Google is concerned it is just another of your calendars.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Thanks both. I'll try the trial.

Will also attempt to share the work calendar again, have never managed it before but maybe with those instructions I will win!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Why don't you stick with Google Calendar? You can add your work Outlook calendar (if they have enabled it for work) to Google. In Outlook, in calendar view, right click on your calendar name, and select Share / Share Calendar.
    Just tried at home, and there's no option to share calendar when I right click. When I type 'share calendar' into the "Tell me what you want to do box" 'share calendar' appears but it's greyed out.

Will try again at work in case the settings are different there.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Failed to try again at work and now on holiday for a week. Will give those other two a trial. TYVM
  • It might be that your organisation doesn't allow sharing of calendars outside of its own network. In which case, that route won't work. However, you could try adding your work email as an account on your device, and choosing to sync your calendar. That would give you a single view within the Google Calendar App on Android. Whilst my organisation allow my calendar to be shared as shown above, they don't allow native sync of mail/calendar to Android without going through other hoops first.

Good luck.
  • Savvy_Sue
    It might be that your organisation doesn't allow sharing of calendars outside of its own network. In which case, that route won't work. However, you could try adding your work email as an account on your device, and choosing to sync your calendar. That would give you a single view within the Google Calendar App on Android. Whilst my organisation allow my calendar to be shared as shown above, they don't allow native sync of mail/calendar to Android without going through other hoops first.

Good luck.
    Yes, I think that's the situation. Have added my work email on my phone, although I don't actually ever check my work email, but I think that's how the calendar shows.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport