Childminder discepences

Hi all
I have recently put my 2 year old with a nee childminder 2 days per week after he was very unsettled in his last nursery. I made the childminder aware of him being unsettled in his last nursery.
After 3 weeks he was fine in his new setting and we were so relieved .
However
Then the cm asked for her monthly payment which we paid .
Next was a email to say she was ending the contract as she now has someone who is doing longer hours and ive got 5 weeks to leave.!
I wanted a refund because I would prefer my son to not get any more attached to her as he been through a lot and don't want him to go through this again.
She is legally in her contract covered but morally very wrong .
She refuses to give me a refund.
Does anybody have any other ideas to help get my money back .

Comments

• MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    You definitely need to check the Ts & Cs in the contract: she may not have made it as watertight as it appears.

Other than that, I'd recommend the following:
    1. You could call the legal assistance helpline on your home insurance, if you've got it
    2. Try your local CAB for advice - take the contract with you if you can get a face-to-face appointment
    3. Try a local solicitor who offers 30 mins/1 hour free initial appointment
    I'm sure others will be along soon with more advice/questions.
  • Fefee
    Fefee Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks so much , I will try all of those
    I did have citizens advice look at it but they said I couldn't do anything.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Fefee wrote: »
    Thanks so much , I will try all of those
    I did have citizens advice look at it but they said I couldn't do anything.

If your aim is to force her to continue to provide services/perform the contract then that is correct. All a court would do is potentially award damages so that you weren't worse off financially due to her breach (providing what shes doing did amount to a breach and not a lawful termination).
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Are you paying in advance or in arrears for their services? Is there a notice period in the contract and if so are they giving you notice?

Also, what is "discepences"? Do you mean discrepancies? I'm not sure that is the right word even if it's the one you meant!
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    I'm confused too.
    Discrepencies
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You've acknowledged that she is legally within her rights to give notice.
    I'm therefore failing to see why you still think you are due any money back?
    What exactly are you wanting a refund of? Have you paid in advance?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Fefee
    I not sure what to call it . I guess I'm arguing that I would like a refund so I can send my child to another minder that will look after him long term.
    We paid in advance for this month and then the next day she sent me email to stay contract is ending in a month's time.
    As I said legally this is correct.
    However if she told me that she would terminate my contract only after 3 weeks of starting and that my son would be dropped the moment she got another child with more hours. I would have never put my son in.
    Basically she took my son on only to do drop him 3 weeks later for another client .
    I don't want my son to attend her nursery anymore and want a refund which she won't do cause she legally can.
    However I think it's very unfair to put my child through the process off getting to no her more and then leave.
  • Fefee
    Yes paid in advance.
    I worried that my son would get all settled with her and then have to take him out. Instead if I got a refund I could put him in a setting where it will be more permanent.
    It's not fair to take a child on for 3 weeks then say actually don't want him now cause I have another child with more hours.
    My child has a lot setting problems and it's worried me
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Fefee wrote: »
    I not sure what to call it . I guess I'm arguing that I would like a refund so I can send my child to another minder that will look after him long term.
    We paid in advance for this month and then the next day she sent me email to stay contract is ending in a month's time.
    As I said legally this is correct.
    However if she told me that she would terminate my contract only after 3 weeks of starting and that my son would be dropped the moment she got another child with more hours. I would have never put my son in.
    Basically she took my son on only to do drop him 3 weeks later for another client .
    I don't want my son to attend her nursery anymore and want a refund which she won't do cause she legally can.
    However I think it's very unfair to put my child through the process off getting to no her more and then leave.

The terms you agreed to.....do they permit either party to dissolve the contract on 1 months notice? Or do they only allow her to do that?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Fefee
    He's really not difficult though
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business