NST May 2018: May the odds be ever in your favour!

Options

Comments

• swimminginaseaofdebt
    Options
    • 12 NSDs - 2/12
    • Budgets - £250 food and £100 social - £89.74 food and £7.60 social
    • Continue batch cooking for the little one (remembering to include a larger variety of meals) - planning to make some veggie omelettes and a veggie lasagna at the weekend to pop in the freezer
    • Make an extra £93 through surveys - £31.69 made to date
    • Continue building the full and final fund - £30.93 added to date
    • I'm making up Christmas gift boxes for local disadvantaged children. So far I've done two teenage boys and started on a boy 9-12 months but still more to get for him so I'll continue with that
    • Plans - safari park and dinner/new avengers movie. Will also allow for a visit to soft play and I need to take the little one swimming as we're holidaying in June and he's never been in a pool - safari park cancelled, soft play on the 12th with friend and her daughter
    • Read as much as possible - 1 book in progress, 1 book finished
    • Finish my final OU essay for this module

Today I'm grateful for getting two loads of washing prepped and ready to be hung outside tomorrow morning, catching up on some ironing, tasty chicken tikka from the takeaway and strawberry and promegranate cider (my first drink in around a year - it went down well!).
    VSPC 2019 #10 - £168.80/£100 VSPC 2020 #4 - £262.03/£200 VSPC 2021 #9 - £242.88/£200 VSPC 2022 #3 - £188.03/£200 VSPC 2023 #7 - £0/£200
  • sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi all :j

Motivation: what is your personal motivation for joining in with the turtles? My motivation is to cut down on the unnecessary spending and pay for some renovations to this property. In order to do this I think we need to be saving money by doing any jobs we can realistically (!) do ourselves. Did a bit of painting today, mainly on the cold frames. Pot of paint was there, with lid on but had become massively diluted. Still useable although very runny..had to stop when it got too hot, but one side done. Inspected DHs weedkilling efforts & looks like he might have done OK....plenty more to go

Money: know your income and outgoings. All DD bills should have gone out by now and I am going to add up our income, that won't take very long.. so far have done one grocery shop, have receipt for that to hand. Grocery bill so far £25.43. Just cat litter & a couple of other things today, need receipt from DH.

Me time: look after yourself. Get enough sleep; eat well; move; do things you enjoy. Didn't get quite enough sleep and woke with a migraine. Took medication which takes time to work, but by the time I was OK it was too hot for me outside. Ate well but then had a bit of Easter egg. Felt better after sun went down so out into front garden, got some more weeds out of rockery. Whoever planted that blasted ornamental grass like plant that spreads everywhere is not my fav person ATM.

Move: being active benefits your body and your mind. You know that. Now do it. Gardening again and I move around a lot, you'd think I'd be thin as a rake...sadly not so.

Activation: what spurs you on to keep on the path? Have not done much decluttering but have identified some items to sell to a fellow collector. Just need to find out how to price, which will be tricky as rare items & not available so need to research somehow. No answer to my emails so far - we are promised sunshine tomorrow so time to take photos then.

Arm yourself : you have chosen to follow a path that many mock and despise - that of ridding yourself of debt and financial constrictions in order to be free; free to choose what to do with your money and time, not enslaved to repaying or to other people. Glad we are not bothered about 'keeping up with the Joneses' - have done that a long time ago but really do not care any more. It's how some people validate themselves & that's fine, but not for me.

You. Are you happy in yourself? Know what brings you joy, what cheers your heart, what makes you pause and wonder. Don!!!8217;t just stop and smell the coffee in the morning; practise stopping and looking around throughout the day. Appreciate what you have. Be grateful. Gratitudes again for the nice weather, for progress, for cute kitten & lovely dogs, for help & support on this forum, for flowers blooming, delicious meal & prospect of sitting outside tomorrow evening..

NSD s still 3/19 so far

Check ins: 5/31

Not done charity donation yet but will arrange asap.

Ouch dolly84 - hope you aren't too bruised!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • Fmess
    Fmess Posts: 2,920 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Still on 1 SFD, might manage another today as planning on using a voucher is asder. Going to walk the dogs in a minute and then go swimming, yesterday I was up so early I had done all of this by 8.30! Another day in the garden planned, some marking and generally enjoying the good weather.
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid
  • laurenh1
    laurenh1 Posts: 771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all

Today should be NSD #3. I do need some juice & butter but I have an M&S voucher I can use :)

Bad for for budgets yesterday. The Clark's shoes I bought my son a week ago have rubbed his feet, I took them back to complain, and alas I had lost my receipt and so they wouldn't do anything about it. After a lot if me going mad they eventually gave me 12 pounds off some new ones but they did keep the nearly new ones I bought last week. Nothing I can do about the other 2 pairs though, at least I can save them for my youngest. I'm fuming about it still. I now only gave £83 in my budgets.
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    laurenh1 wrote: »
    Hi all

Today should be NSD #3. I do need some juice & butter but I have an M&S voucher I can use :)

Bad for for budgets yesterday. The Clark's shoes I bought my son a week ago have rubbed his feet, I took them back to complain, and alas I had lost my receipt and so they wouldn't do anything about it. After a lot if me going mad they eventually gave me 12 pounds off some new ones but they did keep the nearly new ones I bought last week. Nothing I can do about the other 2 pairs though, at least I can save them for my youngest. I'm fuming about it still. I now only gave £83 in my budgets.

They had no right to keep the other shoes unless they did a full refund.

No spendy plans for today, DH & DS are off to football in a moment and I am going cycling - well I plan to but I am struggling to move my left arm which I landed on when I fell on Friday. The rest of the day will be spent pottering around in the sunshine.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Dolly - take it a little easy please. Let your body recover a bit!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    laurenh1 wrote: »
    Hi all

Did you pay by debit/ credit card? - proof of purchase is what's needed by the retailer and a receipt is the easiest way of showing this. However, a bank statement/ credit card statement is also a valid method
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Puddleglum wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot]Motivation[/FONT][FONT=&quot]:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] my motivation is to get myself to the point where I am free to do work which interests me, fulfills me and doesn't feel like work[/FONT].

I love this!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,878 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 6 May 2018 at 4:49PM
    Options
    Yesterday was not a NSD
    I spent £5.99 on slippers for DS3s residential, but DS4 decided he wanted the M&S fluffy pink unicorn slippers for £15.00. I caved as I had a £10 M&S gift card from surveys and a £5 free money voucher from credit card, plus a free £5 off clothing voucher, so I got the unicorns for free, and bought 2 packs of their lush dairy free caramel choc ices and they gave me 40p change.
    So they gave me 40p for doing my free shopping. thank you!

As it was a spend day I bought (reduced) white paint and compost (half price)

Today was NSD3. Apart from 2 coffees and lunch, I have been up a ladder painting everything white. For bloomin hours!!

Tomorrow will be a spend day, as I need lunchbox tat.
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • indigowarrior
    indigowarrior Posts: 745 Forumite
    Options
    Today was a spend day.
    I bought a few things to put in my emergency bag that I now plan to take everywhere with me. I also bought coat hangers and had an Indian. I am going to take it easy for the next couple of days.
    No Spend November 2/15 and SPC 134
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport