Your old credit card after transfer

Hello. I'm new to using credit cards but I've needed to get two out in order to solve a one off financial problem. Both cards have long 0% interest free period but I'm worried about what happens when these run out. Once I have found other cards to transfer my balances to what happens to the original cards? Are they finished for good? Can you close them down and applying or them again at a later date? Or can you never apply to them again? Thanks for any advice guys!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Close them or keep them. Your choice.

You can normally reapply 6-12 months after closure.
  • Star81
    Star81 Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Thank you, I wasn't sure how it worked after transferring a balance from them. If you closed the card would you still be offered the same 0% interest free period as the first time you applied? I'm concerned as the best offers I am finding is for only very short 0% interest periods and I'm not what I'd do after these periods are finished
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    it depends what offers they have available, and their criteria at the time.
  • Star81
    Star81 Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Ok thank you
  • ive just closed two of mine. good luck
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Star81 wrote: »
    Thank you, I wasn't sure how it worked after transferring a balance from them. If you closed the card would you still be offered the same 0% interest free period as the first time you applied? I'm concerned as the best offers I am finding is for only very short 0% interest periods and I'm not what I'd do after these periods are finished
    Often new cards have longer periods than are offered to existing card holders, but not always. I typically get offered 12 month 0% BT plus fee deals on my existing cards, but see new applicants will get offered 3x as long. Of course applying for a new card means a new hard search, etc.That said MBNA did offer me a 36 month 0% plus fee MT, which I took them up on.

You will get a variety of opinions on here ;):p
  • Star81 wrote: »
    Hello. I'm new to using credit cards but I've needed to get two out in order to solve a one off financial problem. Both cards have long 0% interest free period but I'm worried about what happens when these run out.

You can usually just BT it to another card and close the old one.

Try to leave one "long standing card open though. One of the factors on a credit report is length of accounts, so keeping something open with a small limit is a good idea.
    Star81 wrote: »
    Once I have found other cards to transfer my balances to what happens to the original cards? Are they finished for good? Can you close them down and applying or them again at a later date? Or can you never apply to them again? Thanks for any advice guys!

Many cards, Barclaycard is a great example but MBNA do it too, will offer new 0% deals periodically. I know I get a letter from Barclaycard with their latest 0% deals every month.
  • Great info! Thanks !!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport