PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2018 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Hi all, I'm new to the forum and the challenge, but due to some unexpected vets' bills for both my dog and my cat this month, when I get paid at the end of the week I'll already be nearly £400 overdrawn - so my budget is £400 less than usual! (Although both pets are insured, due to excess fees I'm only expecting a portion of the costs back).
    I'm going to aim for £200 from 24th August to 24th Sept. I've already slashed my grocery bills from over £100 a week to around £70 a week through shopping at Lidl/Aldi - but this month I have literally £50 each week in order for me to not be too overdrawn next month - not sure if I'm setting myself up for a fall as this is for all groceries for me and 2 very hungry teenage boys (pet food is in a separate budget). We can't fill up on cheap carbs as kids' are gluten-free (haven't found cheap gluten-free bread, pasta so far) although spuds and rice are fine for them, but I'm low carb to control my type 2 diabetes. I've found if I batch cook I can save a fortune so this is my main strategy going forward and will be doing a meal plan at the end of the week. I'm thinking that batch cooked chilli and rice and jackets with beans will be good staples for the boys. Will have to have a think about me!
  • berries
    berries Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Hello would like to join in as need to manage my pennies better. I have done a post on Aug one don't know how to move it from there to here.
    I have got full freezers and a good amount in my store so will need just fresh item's.

I'm hoping £100 will be enough for the month. Starting 24th August to 21st September. Thanks
    1 /10 nsd 😀
  • Hi, a lovely new thread :j - I'll try and keep proper tabs on my spending this month!:o Please can you put me down for £240

• PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Hello everyone. Thanks Elsiepac for starting the September thread. Please put me down for £120 for the month, starting 1st September.

Many thanks.

Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • Hi, I'm new to these challenges (used to follow years ago) and seeing as I've racked up some debt and money is getting tighter, i need to do some serious money saving. Previously my food budget was £200 for me and my son. Mainly because I've not been tracking things and this has to STOP! lol

My aim for this money is £140 for food and toiletries for me and DS.
    Declutter 2020 - 267/2020 :j
    PAYDBX 2020 £4933.65/£11,384.65 :T
    365 Saving challenge #37 £50/£671.61
  • £100 from 24th august to 24th September for food and household please
  • sprozza
    sprozza Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Can I join please? Our month will start on 28th Aug - 28th Sept. I am aiming for £300 that's for all food, pet food and household items for 2 adults, 1 teenager, 1 child and a very small dog. We need to do some serious saving as we moved house last year and it needs a lot of work.
    June Grocery challenge £200.62/£400
  • flubberyzing
    flubberyzing Posts: 1,386 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Please put me down for £70 for the month.
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • LexieLou
    LexieLou Posts: 714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi

Need to join this month as I have to get my act together...£50 a week or £216 for the month.
    £38,000 and change to £0
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,553 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Hey all,

My month starts tomorrow and I am determined to stay on track, however already looking at a huge amount just on topping up stock etc. I'm doing a big cleanign stock up (as I order online every few months) so that'll be £50 or £60 but am struggling already with properly looking at what I need.

The good thing is, I recognise this is where I am going wrong each month and why I struggle to stay in budget, so am not panicking, merely keep revising my online trolley and trimming it down from the epic proportions I first had it at! I've more than halved it so far, which shows how out of control I can be on buying things I don't necessarily need.

Will report back by Saturday with where I am, and am going to start itemising each spend here again to shame myself into staying out of the shops a bit! Twice a week is plenty (as usually I need to buy fruit twice in the week to ensure it stays fresh as my local supermarkets are terrible for fresh stuff and getting worse).

I WILL be in the right mindet this month!

Budgets updated to here
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport