It's not a lot, but it's enough

Options

Comments

• jvr
    jvr Posts: 426 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Speky

Agree with shopping around, our house is nothing spectacular but when looking at lots in the same price range we came across this house we realised that it was fab within that price range with lots of potential for not much work. If I had seen it with nothing to compare it to within that range I'm not sure I would have been so excited, so maybe for me the butterflies were all about getting the best we could get haha. Also found that by looking around it showed me what is important and what is not. I love a good pro and con list and it really helped me see what was a total no and what I could compromise on.
    Two of my colleagues have just bought new properties and although we never had problems there advice is to go to every tap and shower and ask to leave it on for a bit (both discovered they needed new boilers after moving in) if they had checked the water they would have realised and could have negotiated that in the price, don't forget to ask about when it was serviced also to look at plug sockets if they look really old can guess the electrics might be too.... oooo also my colleague moved her furniture around to hide damp and the room looked odd, if furniture looks in odd placement be suspicious!!
    That is the last of my wisdom and I can confirm I did none of these things and just said oooo yes pretty mine please!
    Main thing is getting on the property ladder, because we got ours at a good price and house prices have risen in the area over two years our deposit money has effectively doubled :)
    Happy hunting!
    Debt: £14,000 now £2169
    Emergency Fund: 1000/ £1000
    :j
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Excellent advice JVR, thank you.

The viewing on Monday felt rushed so I didn't have an opportunity to be so meticulous. Although I do plan on being that way inclined in the future.

I had a voicemail from the estate agent to get my thoughts on the properties. I told them if any, I would opt for Flat 2 - she said it's already been sold! My mum said she was "livid". Why wouldn't they tell me in case I wanted to bid too? I asked at the viewing and they said there wasn't too much interest. Just seems a bit off.

My mums more !!!!ed of than I am. Plenty more fish in the sea plus it gives me more time to save, so I'm trying to think positively. I'll hopefully manage some more viewing either next week or next weekend.
  • joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JVR reminded me of something. Check how many sockets there are in each room - yes, of course you can add them but its expense - on moving-in day a friend of mine discovered there were only two double sockets in an entire dine-in kitchen. She had assumed that as they had electricals like toaster, kettle, mixer on the countertops that there were sockets behind but never actually checked - til she moved in and found there were none!
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00

LD 11.24 £500.00/£345.00 (69%)    INS 12.24 £600.00/£000.00
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£070.00 (15%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£025.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£083.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0600.00

• SpekySquarehead
    SpekySquarehead Posts: 3,019 Forumite
    Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    First day of the month and so it’s time to review my yearly goals and to see if I’m still on track;

Career
    Goal: Achieve my bonus targets in work
    February steps taken: My focus in work has shifted. My boss has asked me to focus on the bigger stuff which as a result, means my original targets are now not applicable. I’ve a meeting today to discuss this exact point, so hopefully a reviewed target will come into place, something achievable.
    Plan for March: Dependant on how today’s meeting goes. Although given I’m now focussing on the bigger stuff, sales become few and far between. As I said, the new targets need to be achievable.

Goal: Build a stronger network of client
    February steps taken: A quiet month on this front as we didn’t have many events.
    Plan for March: There are 3 in place for March – including tonight – so I’ll do my best.

Goal: Have a new job title
    January steps: See above.
    February steps taken: This took a huge step forward although I’m beginning to think a new title is unlikely. My boss doesn’t have a different title except the word manager. Might need to rethink this one.

Goal: Attend at least 1 new training course
    February steps taken: I was given the green light to book the course but it was sold out when I tried.
    Plan for March: Keep my eyes peeled for other opportunities.

Relationships
    Goal: Spend more 1-2-1 time with my gran
    February steps taken: We enjoyed a lovely dinner at the start of February and I’ve seen her every Sunday since.
    Plan for March: Going to her house tomorrow night again and I plan on taking her to her favourite Chinese place later this month too as a thank you for all her help.

Goal: Visit my Dad at least 6 times
    February steps taken: Seen him last week and he was in good spirits
    Plan for March: I actually don’t have it in the diary to see him this month as I’m jam packed every weekend.

Goal: Organise social events with my cousins
    February steps taken: We had our dinner on Saturday there and it was lovely. Fantastic to see them and catch up.
    Plan for March: My aunt (their mother) had said she is organising a family get together at some point soon. Should that fail to happen I’ll get another date in the diary.

Goal: See my friends children more often
    February steps taken: I didn’t manage to get by in February. Not that I didn’t have the time, I did. It was more they didn’t.
    Plan for March: My mates Mrs is away on her Hen Do one weekend so he asked me to come round one Sunday to help. Happy to.

Self
    Goal: Start learning Spanish (again)
    February steps taken: FAILED! Don’t think I opened the app once.
    Plan for March: I had the conversation with my mum, who is also keen to start learning Spanish. She is happy to pay for a tutor to come to the house and give us lessons. Result! Need to research and find the right person.

Goal: Live on a ketogenic diet
    February steps taken: Began to see the results in Feb with my gym buddy making comments on the fat loss. I had 1 big cheat day which was amazing.
    Plan for March: Busy social schedule in this month so the diet may have to go on the back burner for some days. Just means I’ll be super strict at other times.

Goal: Buy a house/flat
    February steps taken: As expected, it was a tough month. Really tight. In fact, it was too tight. I couldn’t afford to put away £12 in saving up for my car tax, £25 for Xmas or my groceries for the last week!
    Plan for March: I’ve reduced it to £650. Giving me an additional £100 on last month. Budgeting was easier but still a bit tricky. Particularly with so many things going on this month. Just need to rack up the NSD’s and spend wisely.

Goal: Save an emergency fund of £1k
    February steps taken: Failed. Couldn’t put anything away as funds were tight
    Plan for March: Same applies

Goal: Read 10 books
    February steps taken: Read quite a bit of the book. I’ve now started taking notes on post-its for me to refer back to.
    Plan for March: I’ll finish the book this month but I need to go back to some bits at the start and add my notes. Might take the full month meaning my target for 10 is a stretched.

Goal: Eat out less
    February steps taken: Funds were so tight that I couldn’t. I used a gift voucher for a Nandos one day and the other was out with my cousins which was budgeted for.
    Plan for March: I shouldn’t really be eating out too much this month, at least I hope not.

Relatively happy with things so far. Even if I fell short in February, I’ve plans to counter than at make up for it in March.

Progress.

Also, on the back of my meeting with my boss. I am getting an £1,000 pay-rise, effective of my pay at the end of this month. Basically adds up to an extra £70 per month. Better than nothing.

Joey - That's a good point, I'd have never thought about that. Crafty !!!!!!s.
  • Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Congratulations on the payrise. I remember you took a pay cut to take this job hoping it would be better in the long run. Are you back to what you were earning before with the rise?
    Good luck with the flat hunting. Sounds like property is moving fast where you are!
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Thanks Verbatim.

Yes, that's me on the same wage wage now. We also discussed my bonus criteria given my focus has changed. My bonus as the potential of an extra £3k but it's super unrealistic at the moment. I'll do my best to negotiate.

Indeed it seems that some properties disappear quickly. A lesson for me to act quicker in scheduling viewings etc.

Yesterday was the first NSD of the month due to the fact I worked 8.30am-10.30pm - I had no option.

The late shift meant I couldn't prepare lunch for today, so today won't be a NSD unfortunately.

Looking forward to tomorrow. The train leaves glasgow at 4pm as we head to Liverpool for the stag. Slightly disrupted with some issues at Lime Street, nothing major I hope. Back down on Sunday afternoon, probably worse for wear. So I anticipate I'll be AWOL until then/Monday.

Have a nice weekend all.
  • Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Enjoy your weekend!
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    The weekend has been and gone and I'm now just about fully recovered.

It was a great weekend with lots of fun had by all, however I overspent which has put a dampner on it for me. However, it's not every weekend it's your best friends stag, so I'm trying not to kick myself too much. Although will a splurge of card payments effect a mortgage application?

As Liverpool Lime Street was closed, we're entitled to a refund, so I'll try and figure that out tonight although a quick look this morning shows that it could be complicated.

My mum decided to take me to IKEA yesterday as she needed things and to get some ideas on decorating on a budget. She decided to treat me to some pots. pans, cutlery and plates. She's some woman.

While we were in IKEA I got a notification that a flat in my area reduced its price, so I've arranged a viewing for tonight. We'll see how we get on.

So as punishment for overspending, I've really got to watch the pennies for the rest of the month. I've no choice really. That'll teach me!
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Morning all,

I had another flat viewing yesterday. It was a bit pricey and a nice enough flat but again, I wasn't left bowled over. The one I saw yesterday was a 2 bed and on Thursday I'm going to see a 1 bed in the same block (£20k cheaper). We'll see how it goes.

Like I had said on here, I said to my mum last night. I can't imagine getting that wow feeling when looking at a property in my budget. My budget won't allow for large rooms in the perfect location with an amazing view so I just can't envisage it. Both my Mum and Step-dad insisted that it's possible and not to be downhearted.

I'll take my time in searching for a home. It means I can continue to save more which obviously helps too. As much as I'm desperate to move out, I'll only do it for the right property. Otherwise I could've left the nest years ago and started renting.

I've got a bloody cold sore, so I'm got my cream with me and I'm eating some pineapple which I'm led to believe helps. We'll see. Hate the things!!!
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Morning all,

Another viewing tonight at 6.30. I've a feeling this could be a favourite of all I've seen but I'll reserve judgement. I also arranged 3 other viewings. 2 for Saturday and 1 for next Thursday.

I'm content with not diving in on a property. Although I'm desperate to leave the nest, I want to do it for the right property - which surprises me - as I thought I'd just take the first I seen!

Anyway. Card payments have caught up from the weekend and things are tight for the remainder of the month. Super tight. I've only got enough money for petrol and food. I suppose that's all I need but still. Bulb has gone in my car and I can't afford to get it fixed. I'll do it when I get paid.

Sunday is when I plan on spending next. I'll do my weekly shop and top-up in petrol. So I'll be aiming for the next 3 days to be spend free.

Back to work! Speak tomorrow.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure