Las Vegas guide and MSE thread 2018

Options

Comments

• bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    stoneman wrote: »
    You won't have to worry about the heat, you'll need to take a sweater with you

Ive been in February and spent a whole day by the pool in glorious sunshine, in the mid 20's. Can be hit and miss.
  • StuieUK34
    StuieUK34 Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hey guys......
    For those who book flights using AirMiles....

Am I too soon to book ? I looked at options for using Virgin AirMiles, from either MAN or LON to LAS........ 24th/25th May, but go no options :(

I do however, have options for LHR - LAX (I like the drive to Vegas)...
    There are 2 flights to LA, and for the dates I want, I can get the Prem econ with Virgin on the LHR-LAX flight, but the out-going flight is the afternoon flight , which means I cant make the drive to vegas when we land :(

Flying club tell me that only 1 seat is available in Prem for reward seats on the morning flight (which I want!).....
    Keeping in mind its a long way away, for those who do AirMiles bookings, do you know if seat availability changes per month ?

Ie: worth hanging on until Nov or Dec to book my flights ? (don't mind flying to LAX over LAS...)
  • stevenhp1987
    Options
    StuieUK34 wrote: »
    Hey guys......
    For those who book flights using AirMiles....

Am I too soon to book ? I looked at options for using Virgin AirMiles, from either MAN or LON to LAS........ 24th/25th May, but go no options :(

I do however, have options for LHR - LAX (I like the drive to Vegas)...
    There are 2 flights to LA, and for the dates I want, I can get the Prem econ with Virgin on the LHR-LAX flight, but the out-going flight is the afternoon flight , which means I cant make the drive to vegas when we land :(

Flying club tell me that only 1 seat is available in Prem for reward seats on the morning flight (which I want!).....
    Keeping in mind its a long way away, for those who do AirMiles bookings, do you know if seat availability changes per month ?

Ie: worth hanging on until Nov or Dec to book my flights ? (don't mind flying to LAX over LAS...)

I've never seen upper class redemptions with Virgin Atlantic to Vegas before... I've only seen premium economy tickets (2 per flight I believe).

If booking for May, on a route to Vegas (or LA), I'd say you are too late. They are released 330 days in advance.

Technically, flight availability can change, if the flight doesn't sell. Might be better asking over at flyertalk?
  • StuieUK34
    StuieUK34 Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    good advice.
    just on phone to them now, flights were held for me...
    the guy somehow got me onto the morning flight (LHR-LAX), so Haaaaaaaaaaaaapppy days!!!!! :D:D
    Prem Econ on VA for £491 each! , then 11 nights in Vegas!
    wooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooooo !! :D

The guy said, flights in 2019 for LAS, will be LHR - LAS , they no longer doing from LGW.....
    Also, he said, cos I am using miles, if a flight appears direct to Vegas, I can change flights for £30pp !!! sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
  • vroom3
    vroom3 Posts: 344 Forumite
    Options
    With VA switching to LHR - they are also switching planes too - now the Vegas flight will be a Boeing 787-9 which has a different seat makeup to the old 747's;

31 U/C 35 Prem 192 Econ..So many more u/c and alot less Prem seats now..

From what I am seeing there are more reward flights possible now on U/C - they have many more to fill than the old 747's...

I just used 58k miles to upgrade econ to u/c out and econ to prem back for late July..
  • secretmachines
    Options
    Disappointing Virgin won't be flying from LGW any more, I wonder if they'll ditch the twilight check in too
  • dollywops
    dollywops Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Flew back from Las Vegas yesterday afternoon. Checked in our luggage with the very helpful young lady manning a desk outside the departures hall. No queuing whatsoever. Was unable to use OH's reward upgrade either going out or coming home - we booked late and there wasn't the availability. At least we were able to use our flying miles for the economy flights. We sat at the very back of the plane, 64H & 64K. Perfect.

We stayed at Park MGM using an MLife promotion, 2 nights to include $150 food and beverage credit which could be used at any MGM location. So we did 2 bookings, one for 3 nights and one for 2 nights. We also had a $50 MyVegas credit for the Juniper Bar and 2 buffets at the Aria, again MyVegas. For us, the location was perfect. We had a few meals in New York, New York, which was a stone's throw away. The hotel itself is ok. They are aware there is a problem with sound insulation (you can hear the person in the next room opening/closing the curtains). They also know that the lack of drawers in the bedrooms are an issue which needs addressing.

We would stay there again.

Pleased to hear that Virgin are moving to LHR for the Las Vegas flights. That's more convenient for us.
  • katydo12
    katydo12 Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    off to vegas for our second trip in january 2019. flying with virgin atlantic from london gatwick staying at planet hollywood. stayed at excalibur last time. excited!!
    on the road to recovery..:o
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,521 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I assume most people flew VS out of LGW for convince, because you live south of London. If their moving the operation to LHR you will have to consider if BA might be a better choice.
    There is so more you can do with Avios than Virgin miles and status is easier to obtain. By this I mean access to the lounge network.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • dollywops
    dollywops Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    stoneman wrote: »
    I assume most people flew VS out of LGW for convince, because you live south of London. If their moving the operation to LHR you will have to consider if BA might be a better choice.
    There is so more you can do with Avios than Virgin miles and status is easier to obtain. By this I mean access to the lounge network.

We’ve been collecting flying miles for a long time now. 4 years ago we were fortunate in being able to fly UC return to San Francisco using our miles. This last trip, because we booked fairly late, we could only use our miles foe economy. Could not use the reward upgrade to PE, as there was no availability and by the time we got to the airport, there was only one PE seat left.

I think we will definitely look at an Avios cc. We have used Avios in the past. They paid for our hotel in Washington one year and in San Francisco 3 years ago.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure