Immediate needs annuity question

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,610 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If your MIL is deemed to need a home she is in trouble.

She is already there (sorry I thought that was what immediate meant).
    She did have dilerium in hospital and apparently that means her chances of dying during the next year are high (but she hasn't).

Keep her immobile by doing everything for her and she won't live long.
    She's quite immobile due to the arthritis she's had for 50 years, but my experience doesn't fit what you've said.
    People failing to look after themsleves get infections (UTIs particularly for women), dehydrated and mal-nourished).
    She's in a good home so being well fed, watered, medicated and any issues treated very quickly by nurses on site.
    She's been in their about a year now and only had one UTI and not even a sniffle.
    Her sister is 95 and still alive.
    We thought she might follow her husband of 60 years but she's forgotten he's dead so not suffering normal grief.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The average stay in a care home is 26 months.

https://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-question/Commons/2017-09-05/8937

The chance of running out of money lissyloo is virtually zero. I understand that an annuity gives a guraranteed inheritance which can be tempting but your chances of losing are massive. I wouldn't touch an annuity with a bargepole in your situation.
  • lisyloo
    The average stay in a care home is 26 months.

Yes, but not everyone is average. Her sister is still going at 95 and is 4 years older.

But thanks for you opinion. That is my gut feeling also.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    A second thought, perhaps a reasonable criterion for taking a care annuity could be that it costs less than a particular number of years care home expenses, say 2 or 3. This should control the risk that a large amount of MIL's wealth would be wasted. However I have no idea whether this may delay taking an annuity until too late - the ONS data suggests that on average the 50% in 3 year death rate isnt reached until one is 95. You do need the options/costs from an IFA.

Regarding investment, bearing in mind that some of the money wont be used for 6 years it may be worth considering putting 10-15% in a cautious fund.
  • lisyloo
    bearing in mind that some of the money wont be used for 6 years

But it probably will, because in 6 years she'll probably be dead.

I am thinking of using some longer fixed term savings accounts after checking out the conditions with the providers should she die before the end of the term.

If I were a risk averse person and looking out for my own self-interest then I'd say that no-one is going to sue me for not taking an anuuity or not taking investments.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,933 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    lisyloo wrote: »
    But it probably will, because in 6 years she'll probably be dead.

But if she isn't, that part of her assets won't have been stuck in cash for 6 years losing its value (and therefore reducing her ability to pay for her care fees - admittedly not to a degree that is likely to significantly change the period for which she can afford to pay for her own care).
    Linton wrote: »
    However I have no idea whether this may delay taking an annuity until too late - the ONS data suggests that on average the 50% in 3 year death rate isnt reached until one is 95.

Most people in the ONS data aren't in care homes. Only 16% of the over-85 population are.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Malthusian wrote: »
    Most people in the ONS data aren't in care homes. Only 16% of the over-85 population are.

I know, but sadly there doesnt seem to be any data for the over 90s which could be a much higher %.
  • lisyloo
    But if she isn't, that part of her assets won't have been stuck in cash for 6 years losing its value
    Well that is the big IF isn't it.
    My feeling is that she is unlikely to be alive in 6 years time at 97 (she's already spent a year in a home and had delirium).

Loosing a small amount of value due to inflation is the lesser of two evils compared with capital loss IMO. There are 3 year rates of 2.41. How will the local authority react (or the beneficiries) if I speculate with the money and lose the capital? (I am aware if was a cautious investment mentioned).

As an aside I've just put the flat on the market now that it's been emptied, cleaned and decorated.
  • Shedman
    Shedman Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    fred246 wrote: »
    The problem is that no-one can tell you exactly how long she will live for. The financial people will play on that uncertainty and they could benefit nicely. If your MIL is deemed to need a home she is in trouble. She has lived way over normal life expectancy. Someone told me that at 94 you had a 50% chance of living the year. Get her in a home full of bacteria. Keep her immobile by doing everything for her and she won't live long. Immobility is a massive killer. Greatly underestimated. So sell the house. Put the money in high interest accounts and wait. Fantastic advice from an anymous person on the internet.

I'd argue that in a home they are eating better (proper meals with veg as opposed to Kershaws frozen meals ...), less likely to have a fall (which is often the precursor to rapid deterioration), being more closely monitored, have company and activities rather than sat watching TV all day, being bathed regularly, etc so may actually be at less of a risk. My MiL has perked up enormously in the few months she's been in a home,is more mobile, talkative and generally appears healthier.

Of course an annuity is a gamble but the family feel that the piece of mind knowing that no matter how long she lives (not that I personally necessarily see her longevity as an upside...;) ) there will be no issue with the fees or for her to have to move homes is worth the risk of potentially losing out (and it's her money anyway).

We realise the insurance company must generally win (otherwise they wouldnt be in the game) but they don't actually know the individual and can only base the premium on statistics and third party reports so who actually has a better idea of how robust a person is.. them or the family?

In MiL case the statistics indicate that as an 86 year old women she has a 50% chance of living beyond breakeven point of 92. Given how's she's improved and that theres nothing obvious that's immediately life threatening we feel that's pretty reasonable odds.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Whoa whoa whoa. I can't believe what I am reading. Are people really using ONS data which is for average people to predict how long someone will live in a nursing home? That really would be crazy. Do annuity providers quote that data? That would be very naughty. Nursing home residents are not average.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure