Soundbars - waste of money?

Comments

• almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Currently have BT TV but that'll be getting switched out for Sky once my deal with BT ends next month.

I have a PS4 which i use to watch DVDs. The fact that this has ended up being its only use means i'll be looking to sell it in the very near future and replace with the blu-ray player i have in the bedroom.

We have a Wii U under there also but don't use it a great deal (though we wont be getting rid of this .... Mario Kart )

I know we've a Now TV thing connected somewhere in all that but if i remember right that was only because there was a freebie deal on it and also only because my wife couldn't watch one of her TV shows after we cancelled Sky a year ago.

OK then, I would suggest that you look for a soundbar with 2 HDMI inputs (and one output!).

You connect the Sky box and PS4 to HDMI in, and connect the HDMI out to an input on the TV.

You can now listen to Sky and PS4 through the soundbar, and it will pass the picture on to the TV.

If you also want to be able to use the TV's Freeview, for example, and listen to the TV throught the soundbar, you need to use ARC - Audio Return Channel. It just lets the sound go back down the HDMI cable, from the TV to the soundbar. Your TV should support it, and you need to find a soundbar that does too. You may not need it though.
  • roddydogs wrote: »
    Trouble is none of the differant setting make the slightest difference!
    I've got 3 tv's and can hear the difference between different settings on all of them.
  • I've got 3 tv's and can hear the difference between different settings on all of them.

The OP was I think referring to the problem of the dialogue being quieter than sound effects and music and my experience is the same. While I can clearly hear the differences between the sound settings on my soundbar, none of them address the quiet dialogue problem to a significant degree.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    almillar wrote: »
    OK then, I would suggest that you look for a soundbar with 2 HDMI inputs (and one output!).

You connect the Sky box and PS4 to HDMI in, and connect the HDMI out to an input on the TV.

You can now listen to Sky and PS4 through the soundbar, and it will pass the picture on to the TV.

If you also want to be able to use the TV's Freeview, for example, and listen to the TV throught the soundbar, you need to use ARC - Audio Return Channel. It just lets the sound go back down the HDMI cable, from the TV to the soundbar. Your TV should support it, and you need to find a soundbar that does too. You may not need it though.

Surely a simpler way would be to simply take the audio from the TV to the sound bar, whether that be via a phono plug or ideally optical cable.

We've various boxes attached to our TV via HDMI, the only link to the sound bar is via an optical cable from the TV
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Stoke wrote: »
    I think soundbars are okay, but don't expect the world from them. They're essentially a compromise for people who don't want the bulkiness of a proper audio setup.

They're 1000% better than the TV speakers, particularly if you're spending the O/P's proposed £200 budget, so describing one in that realm as being "okay" is a massive understatement.

Would a "proper" audio setup be better? Yes, however
    • You would probably spend £,£££ getting it proportionally better
    • It will be significantly bulkier
    • It could well be a sledgehammer to crack a walnut

If someone simply wants better audio from their TV, then a good soundbar is the correct choice.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    motorguy wrote: »
    They're 1000% better than the TV speakers, particularly if you're spending the O/P's proposed £200 budget, so describing one in that realm as being "okay" is a massive understatement.

Would a "proper" audio setup be better? Yes, however
    • You would probably spend £,£££ getting it proportionally better
    • It will be significantly bulkier
    • It could well be a sledgehammer to crack a walnut

If someone simply wants better audio from their TV, then a good soundbar is the correct choice.
    Or the front 3 speakers and sub from a 10 pound second hand system???

I think soundbars are great at what they do. You are right, in most cases they will blow the TV speakers away although this is where independent reviews are key. I didn't read any before buying my TV, but for those who do, i'm sure it will be in the documentation that there's a sound optimisation mode that boosts that quiet parts and softens the louder parts, and it actually works very well. I just disable it when i turn on the surround, although i believe it only optimises the TV speakers anyway, everything sent to the surround is pure.
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,781 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Even a £50 set of 2.1 Logic PC speakers will blow away a TV's speakers....
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Not a sound bar as such.
    I vote for Sky Soundbox -(In use with my Sky q)
    Simple sound modes -kids/night time/speech (Q sound is what these features are part of)
    DD/DD+ via hdmi
    DD via Optical -(Apple 4k tv in use)
    Bluetooth
    One speaker solution

Soundbox adds some decent sound levels in home (1 bedroom flat)
    There are better I'm sure though nice enough at home (No Atmos -aghhh)
    Replenished CRA Reports.2015 Zoe i nav -67-131 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    I have an "elderly" TV so the sound is not the best - especially since I have had to start wearing hearing aids - lots of just noise. Bought a soundbar, and it's made a great deal of difference, speech is much clearer now that I can turn the volume down and select "voice" or "cinema" or "standard" on the soundbar.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    edited 11 September 2018 at 6:26PM
    I improved the sound quality of my TV with 2 floor standing speakers driven by 4 95w amplifiers. Much improved sound. The neighbours can hear them when stood outside their houses but not when they go inside. We also have a soundbase in the breakfast room that is a good improvement for about £200.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure