Soundbars - waste of money?

Comments

• RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Original question...
    I'm just wondering are these worth buying? What do they offer?
    Yes, they are and they offer improved sound over your TV.
    Many of them have a 'Night Mode' which stops it annoying your neighbours.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    EssexExile wrote: »
    Therein lies the problem about asking questions like this on the internet. Some people will pay thousands to get the right sound & others couldn't tell the difference between a hi-fi set up & a crystal set (ask your grandad what a crystal set is).

The O/P was quite specific and direct - they asked about sound bars with a budget of £200, and if they were worthwhile upgrade.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 11 September 2018 at 9:33AM
    I know how to watch a TV but that's about it :rotfl:When you start getting in to the technical settings it's way over my head i'm afraid.
    Changing the sound mode is normally very easy. Menu>Sound>Mode, then a few sound options. Definitely worth trying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xwzDLbe5u4
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I bought an optical output thingy from e bay to use with my hi fi, trouble is the output is so low you need the volume up very high.
  • roddydogs wrote: »
    I bought an optical output thingy from e bay to use with my hi fi, trouble is the output is so low you need the volume up very high.
    You might be able to adjust the output volume from the tv.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 September 2018 at 12:46PM
    My brothers got 1 of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Celcus-B-3368-Soundbar-Bluetooth-Surround/dp/B00IWQOJHY

Dont know how much he paid but its quite good although I cant compare it to another 1 though. Its much better than a tv without a soundbar. With it being Celcus I expected poor quality.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Are there any "reasonable priced" (sub £100) soundbars with the option of outputting to bluetooth headphones at the same time as internal speakers (both with independent volume controls) ?
  • 50Twuncle wrote: »
    Are there any "reasonable priced" (sub £100) soundbars with the option of outputting to bluetooth headphones at the same time as internal speakers (both with independent volume controls) ?

I'm not aware of any expensive soundbars that allow that (there are a lot out there though) but @custardy suggested something in a different thread:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=74537766&postcount=22
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Changing the sound mode is normally very easy. Menu>Sound>Mode, then a few sound options. Definitely worth trying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xwzDLbe5u4

Trouble is none of the differant setting make the slightest difference!
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    I think soundbars are okay, but don't expect the world from them. They're essentially a compromise for people who don't want the bulkiness of a proper audio setup. I recently purchased an old (circa 2002) Sony 5.1 surround sound system for just £10 off Gumtree. It doesn't have HDMI but it has optical and my TV supports Dolby passthrough so figured it would be worth punt. Not sure what it retailed for.

I've set up the sub to the right of the TV cabinet, and the front left, centre and right tops are located independently around the exposed parts of the cabinet. No rear speakers at all, as i don't really like them or the messy wiring. Audio quality wise it blows away most soundbars. My mates £300 Samsung soundbar doesn't get anywhere near the warmth and clarity provided by this old Sony beast.... I suspect it's to do with the fact while his soundbar has 7 or 8 tiny little speakers, this Sony thing has 3 decent sized (3 inch perhaps?) tops and a proper subwoofer. It has convinced me eventually to buy a second hand surround with HDMI and set it up exactly the same way. I suspect the audio will be even better :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure