Virgin Media Doorsteppers Misrepresenting Facts

Just had some muppet from Virgin Media disturb us; his opening line was, "We've just switched your cables over", verbatim. No greeting, no announcement of who he represented and the logo on his all black attire was far from obvious; no red. My first thought was that our provider's infrastructure had been interfered with. It took me only a moment to realise this could not be the case (I hope!)

I told him we were not interested to which he responded, "Why not?" As if that is any of his business, which I told him. He then asked who our provider is which is even less of his business.

We have had months and months of those morons digging up the pavements for no good reason. They are nearly 4 years too late; that is when this place finally got fibre. Anyone who wanted it is already in a contract. Too late to the party, VM.

I called to try to complain but got the same barely intelligible English I remember from years ago before we moved here. Clearly nothing has improved in the interim.

I am not sure whether this was a wilful misrepresentation of facts or merely a lack of articulacy and plain old ignorance. Yet another epic fail, VM.

Comments

• kangoora
    kangoora Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Any doorsteppers such as double glazing, driveways, roofing etc that come to my door get the same response.

I just say we are renting the house. They haven't got a leg to stand on unless they start out by calling me a liar :D
  • Just nod your head and close the door. Problem solved.
  • I dont even give them chance to speak, I say "no Thank you " and shut the door
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yeah, clearly my assertiveness needs more work than I thought. I will bear this in mind for next time, guys. Thank you.
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Lucky you have cable. I have the option of Sky and er... Sky.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    You have satellite Internet?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,544 Forumite
    we have a "no cold callers" sign on our door so don't get bothered by doorstep sellers (any more)
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I dont even give them chance to speak, I say "no Thank you " and shut the door

I don't even open the door unless it's someone I know or I'm expecting :o
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    DoaM wrote: »
    You have satellite Internet?

Sky Broadband uses normal phone landlines
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    I don't even open the door unless it's someone I know or I'm expecting :o

Good for you, jackieblack. Neither do I unless OH is here but he was. I am still kicking myself! I know better; just felt like venting. :o

Thanks, all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport