Opinions on Solar setup and cost

2»

Comments

• Wobblydeb wrote: »
    No, wersolaruk did not fit it. Ours is turning off part way through the day and just says "Waiting" too. Our installer is speaking to Solax about it (something to do with a firmware issue) and hopefully will get it sorted soon.

mine doesn't do it too oftern maybe 5 times in the last to months hopefully will get it sorted my installer are finding out if the high voltage limit can be turned up just incase so I have seen on the log it hit 151 volt once, I have seen on anther post you just rest it as soon as you find out how do you rest it I have no idea as I cant see an isolation switch on the solar panel wiring side to the invertor and I don't think I should pull the 4 plugs out 2 positive and negatives their is and on and off switch on the invertor but its different to other images I have seen its about the size of 2p and a line in the middle I have tried with a screw driver but started to damage the plastic so stopped, so how to you rest yours thanks
  • INeedLuck
    INeedLuck Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hi SolarShel, would you mind sharing which company you have gone with and where abouts you're based? I'm in Greater Manchester and have been looking at Ikea panels after having a company come out to quote who seemed very dodgy and were very very very pushy!
  • Wobblydeb
    Wobblydeb Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    jamesrst wrote: »
    so how to you rest yours thanks
    We have the isolation switches next to the inverter (they're big red and black circular dial type switches, very hard to miss!). I simply switch them all off (AC first, then DC) wait a while and then turn them back on.
    I've got a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.
  • I went with a company called the Solar Installation Company who are based near Preston I think. They had a sale on which lasts throughout April. From what I can see I wouldn't bother going with Ikea panels as it will take forever and a day to recoup your investment, and you still have to pay someone yo install them after you have bought them.
    The company I had my original quote from weren't overly pushy but they did try a lot of sketchy sales tactics which I was wise to but indulged them a bit.
  • annet01
    annet01 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Solar power is great until something goes wrong. Our supplier went into liquidation as we discovered when our system stopped working. The company that took them over tried to fob us off with nonsense. We have contacted Hies but they say it's not their problem (the "insurance" says it is but they insist it isn't). We contacted the DNO (as suggested on here) but it's not their problem either. The only company that would even consider coming out will charge a call out fee of £1000 PLUS any work that needs doing.
    So now we have a solar panel system sitting on the roof which doesn't work and all any "professional" can suggest is installing a complete new system!. I'd NEVER invest in solar panels again.
  • jamesrst
    jamesrst Posts: 5 Forumite
    Wobblydeb wrote: »
    We have the isolation switches next to the inverter (they're big red and black circular dial type switches, very hard to miss!). I simply switch them all off (AC first, then DC) wait a while and then turn them back on.

thanks but mine doesnt have an ac what i can see anyway hopefully sorted now after giving solax my serial number they say it needed the firmware updated like you said so they gave me the links and had to put it on usb stick and updated it
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,752 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    jamesrst wrote: »
    thanks but mine doesnt have an ac what i can see anyway hopefully sorted now after giving solax my serial number they say it needed the firmware updated like you said so they gave me the links and had to put it on usb stick and updated it

That's weird, it doesn't have an AC isolation switch?

You could switch it off at the consumer unit.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure