Shadowing a Tracker Fund?

Options

Comments

• mollycat
    mollycat Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I bought the Times Newspaoer today and paid £1.80.

Then i thought about it; surely it would be cheaper to just google every single bit of local and national news, sports results and analysis, buisiness and money opinion, lifestyle fashion music and recipe piffle, television listings, etc etc etc and print them off onto some old newsprint I have in the garage and staple them together into a homemade "newspaper".
    (Not that all the news would be out of date once I'd finished or anythin!)

As I considered this, i looked at the bottle of Smirnoff (other brands of reality banishing liquids are available) I had newly cracked open what seemed only half an hour ago, and was amazed to see it was nearly empty!

OK, it's a crap analogy, but OP, come on, you must be having a laugh, right? :)
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    mollycat wrote: »
    I bought the Times Newspaoer today and paid £1.80.

Then i thought about it; surely it would be cheaper to just google every single bit of local and national news, sports results and analysis, buisiness and money opinion, lifestyle fashion music and recipe piffle, television listings, etc etc etc and print them off onto some old newsprint I have in the garage and staple them together into a homemade "newspaper".
    (Not that all the news would be out of date once I'd finished or anythin!)

As I considered this, i looked at the bottle of Smirnoff (other brands of reality banishing liquids are available) I had newly cracked open what seemed only half an hour ago, and was amazed to see it was nearly empty!
    When its empty have you considered planting seed potatoes, harvesting the crop 6 months later, boiling them up, leaving to ferment, and distilling?

OK, it's a crap analogy, but OP, come on, you must be having a laugh, right? :)

I expect the OP knits his own underwear. There a youtube channel for a guy that makes his own stuff from basic things, for example he starts with cotton plants and then weaves cloth and creates his own suit. Or he makes his own glass from sand an basic elemnts.

The suit I think cost him $5k

A sandwich cost him $1500 :D
    I spent 6 months and $1500 to completely make a sandwich from scratch. Including growing my own vegetables, making my own salt from ocean water, milking a cow to make cheese, grinding my own flour from wheat, collecting my own honey, and killing a chicken myself.
  • barnstar2077
    barnstar2077 Posts: 1,364 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Okay, enough already! Give the guy a break, he just wanted to know the answer to a simple question.
    Think first of your goal, then make it happen!
  • AnotherJoe
    Options
    Please dont try to spoil our fun. OP is not obligated to read this. And he wont be able to until he's finished constructing his own PC starting with etching circuits onto a silicon wafer he's filed smooth.
  • mollycat
    mollycat Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Please dont try to spoil our fun. OP is not obligated to read this. And he wont be able to until he's finished constructing his own PC starting with etching circuits onto a silicon wafer he's filed smooth.

Update....just orderd a oil filter for my Honda from ECP.

Only another 2000 individual parts to accumulate before I start working out how it all fits together.

Some people seem to buy their cars fully assembled....dont they know this is MSE? :)
  • grnglide
    grnglide Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    And he wont be able to until he's finished constructing his own PC starting with etching circuits onto a silicon wafer he's filed smooth.
    But surely he needs to produce the wafer in the first place which involves producing the silicon in the first place and purifying it. Both require ovens with RF heating etc.

Sounds like fun but could take a while!
  • AnotherJoe
    Options
    mollycat wrote: »
    Update....just orderd a oil filter for my Honda from ECP.

Only another 2000 individual parts to accumulate before I start working out how it all fits together.

Some people seem to buy their cars fully assembled....dont they know this is MSE? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIuo0KIqD_E
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    It is probably more worthwhile to replicate a more expensive Investment Trust where you can see what the top holdings are and just buy the shares directly and save the IT manager's fees. However you would probably only get quarterly updates at most as to the IT's holdings so your replication would be subject to lag.

Yeah not really worth doing. Nevertheless it is interesting to see what ITs are invested in and you could form your own portfolio based on a selection of those shares.
  • aberlyfid_2000
    Options
    If I were to copy the percentages of investments in a tracker fund, would that save or cost me more money? Maybe tracker funds are constantly being modified and I wouldn't be able to keep up anyway?

what sacrilege ! how dare you ask such a question on this forum.

Seriously though, you would need to have massive amounts of money to replicate a fund or an index fully.

Fully being the operating word. Fully = matching all the holdings, including any rebalances and ensuring that divs are re-invested across all holdings.

However:
    Its perfectly sensible to replicate the main holdings but then deciding to actively under/overweight certain holdings, and doing the same with dividend re-investments.I quite like the FTSE 100, save for the tobacco, consumer staples and oil sectors. Same for the S&P less all the frothy tech stocks. :j
  • AnotherJoe
    Options
    However:
    Its perfectly sensible to replicate the main holdings but then deciding to actively under/overweight certain holdings, and doing the same with dividend re-investments.I quite like the FTSE 100, save for the tobacco, consumer staples and oil sectors. Same for the S&P less all the frothy tech stocks. :j

What a coincidence. I've done similar with the S&P but only holding the frothy tech stocks :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure