Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Divorcing
    • By Divorcing 9th Oct 19, 6:49 PM
    • 78Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Divorcing
    Second monitor signal lost but recognised in Display Settings?
    • 9th Oct 19, 6:49 PM
    Second monitor signal lost but recognised in Display Settings? 9th Oct 19 at 6:49 PM
    Hi all

I have an old Dell Inspiron 3847 that came with HDMI & VDA ports. Up until very recently I was using it with two Eizo
    EV2336W monitors, one VGA to VGA and one HDMI to VGA.

About a month or more ago I lost signal on the HDMI one & noticed the HDMI part was bent, I think this must have happened before as I used it for something else and when I wiggled it it worked (like an old Walkman headphone socket!) but eventually it died so I thought best to throw it out and replace it.

Found that I also had a short lead HDMI to VGA converter so plugged that in and it worked fine but every now and then would flicker. Now I don't think this is a PC problem as it also flickered when I used it as a second moniter for my laptop.

Then I lost all signal with the converter so ordered an HDMI to DisplayPort lead and just plugged that in but nothing, went to display setting and it doen't recognise a second display as being present. When I use the HDMI to VGA it does recognise a monitor as being present but there is no signal, so I can identify it it but cannot see the 1 come up as no signal. Also the screen shutdowns into eco mode very quickly (not sure if last part is in anyway relevant).

I've also tried to update the graphics driver Intel 4400 but when I do from device manager it says it is up to date (version 20.19.15.4531) but when I go on the dell site it tells me it needs updating but then when I update it says it cannot & I need to go to Intel, went to Intel and guess what it said? You need to go to Dell!!!

Can anyone help with what this might be please?

All input gratefully received and very much appreciated.
Page 1
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 9th Oct 19, 8:29 PM
    • 4,164 Posts
    • 5,571 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 9th Oct 19, 8:29 PM
    • 9th Oct 19, 8:29 PM
    The latest Intel drivers are at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81497/Intel-HD-Graphics-4400
    • Divorcing
    • By Divorcing 10th Oct 19, 8:39 AM
    • 78 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Divorcing
    • 10th Oct 19, 8:39 AM
    • 10th Oct 19, 8:39 AM
    Thanks, it doesn't allow to update the driver from Intel. Tried it again and says it is not validated, obtain appropriate driver from your manufacturer.
    • A.Penny.Saved
    • By A.Penny.Saved 10th Oct 19, 9:08 AM
    • 1,724 Posts
    • 894 Thanks
    A.Penny.Saved
    • 10th Oct 19, 9:08 AM
    • 10th Oct 19, 9:08 AM
    The Intel drivers will usually install on any/most system because they are not machine specific. I no longer use the Intel drivers for my HD4000 instead I use the original Asus drivers which allows a higher refresh rate ie 144Hz which the Intel drivers never allowed. Intel claims the HD4000 cannot do 144Hz but the Asus drivers allow it and it does work. I did have to install the Intel OpenCL driver which was not present with the Asus drivers but apart from that it is all working fine for me.

I think that your monitor might be faulty ie the connector -> circuit board might be damaged which is causing an intermittent fault ie flickering. That has probably got worse and you no longer get a signal.

Is the monitor still under guarantee? Can you get/borrow a different screen to test with to rule out your PC? If the problem is also present with your laptop then it is probably not the PC but ruling things out might be worth doing.
    • Divorcing
    • By Divorcing 10th Oct 19, 9:26 AM
    • 78 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Divorcing
    • 10th Oct 19, 9:26 AM
    • 10th Oct 19, 9:26 AM
    I think that your monitor might be faulty ie the connector -> circuit board might be damaged which is causing an intermittent fault ie flickering. That has probably got worse and you no longer get a signal.

Is the monitor still under guarantee? Can you get/borrow a different screen to test with to rule out your PC? If the problem is also present with your laptop then it is probably not the PC but ruling things out might be worth doing.
    Originally posted by A.Penny.Saved
    Thank you for your detailed reply.

I do not think it is the monitor as I have 2 identical monitors and have tried swapping cables. Also if I use just the one monitor they work flawlessly, no flickering etc.
    • Divorcing
    • By Divorcing 10th Oct 19, 9:31 AM
    • 78 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Divorcing
    • 10th Oct 19, 9:31 AM
    • 10th Oct 19, 9:31 AM
    Quick update:

I've uninstalled and reinstalled (automatically on start up) the graphics driver and no change.

Swapped monitors/cables/connections and same issues, detected but no signal.

However I just tried my laptop again and with the HDMI to Displayport I got nothing but when I plugged in the HDMI to VGA connector lead it gets a display, albeit it still flickers every couple of minutes or so.

So I am thinking maybe the HDMI port on my PC is kaput and the leads are not great (HDMI-VGA needs tweaking in the port to work and HMDI-Dp doesn't work at all) so is it possible my PC poprt has damaged the HDMI-VGA converter?
    • Divorcing
    • By Divorcing 10th Oct 19, 9:41 AM
    • 78 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Divorcing
    • 10th Oct 19, 9:41 AM
    • 10th Oct 19, 9:41 AM
    Also just to add that when I use the HDMI-VGA on the PC it shows as 2 x 'Generic PnP Monitors' in device manager as well as showing 2 screens in display settings but when try and ID both screens it just keeps showing the number 2 on the working screen, even when trying to ID screen 1, so frustrating!
    • Divorcing
    • By Divorcing 11th Oct 19, 9:53 AM
    • 78 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Divorcing
    • 11th Oct 19, 9:53 AM
    • 11th Oct 19, 9:53 AM
    Plugged it in again and nothing happened, went to make a chip of tea, came back and it was working! Strange but hey its working so I'm a happy bunny
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 11th Oct 19, 11:02 AM
    • 2,030 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 11th Oct 19, 11:02 AM
    • 11th Oct 19, 11:02 AM
    As an aside, as it now seems to work, I’ve had trouble with Windows update installing generic Windows graphic drivers which didn’t support dual screen use. It was particularly annoying as the problem arose after a Windows update and neither the Dell Support Assistant nor Windows saw anything that needed updating.

The fix was easy, install the graphic card drivers from the manufacturer and ignore the “Windows 10 knows best”... BTW, it is an AMD Radeon card in a Dell desktop.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

123Posts Today

1,752Users online

Martin's Twitter