Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 18, 6:09 PM
    • 1,320Posts
    • 13,932Thanks
    3forholidays
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 18, 6:09 PM
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 18 at 6:09 PM

Hello and welcome to the 8th Christmas Chatter Thread.

Itís hard to believe that another year has gone and we are almost at the big event that we have spent so long planning and preparing for! But this thread is about so much more than Christmas but about the whole year with all the ups and downs, as well as the bits in between.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads Ė the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2019!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Girl in a Yellow Dress 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2018 at 6:34 PM. Reason: tidying up
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 SPC 11 - £975 SPC 12 - £705 (so far - as at 16/06/19)
Page 30
    • heebie-jeebies
    • By heebie-jeebies 9th Oct 19, 1:26 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 2,034 Thanks
    heebie-jeebies
    Yayyyyyy! Popsy in the wild!
    (Apologies If youíre not on the Facebook group it means hello fellow Popsy lover )
    Originally posted by Mrs_Ryan
    Hehe I am in the group!
    • aimeemum
    • By aimeemum 9th Oct 19, 7:51 AM
    • 464 Posts
    • 1,961 Thanks
    aimeemum
    Tesco order done for this week. On there I have:

2 x festive friends boxes (either for the kids to eat as treats or for raffle prizes for the school fair )
    1 jar of redcurrant jelly
    1 jar of seafood sauce

It's starting to get exciting now
    DFBX19 #148 - 17/10/2019 - £3,170/£4,782 66% gone
    Total Debts cleared in 12 months (October 2018- September 2019) - £6,074
    • Haribo1980
    • By Haribo1980 9th Oct 19, 9:58 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    Haribo1980
    Well Amazon has been my friend and im nearly done for 3 of my little darlings. Have to get a steam card for my eldest and some bits for my youngest then all 4 of them will be finished apart from stockings. I need to get cracking on family presents now. I have a few ideas but need to get on with those.
    • princesskitty29
    • By princesskitty29 9th Oct 19, 12:21 PM
    • 944 Posts
    • 12,749 Thanks
    princesskitty29
    I had a morning to myself last week so did a bit more Christmas shopping. I picked up a rocket puzzle for Wiggle, a bag of mini Toblerones for my dad, a small crossword puzzle book and a bag of humbugs for my FiLís stocking, a Nivea strawberry lip balm for my friends stocking, a tube of orange Smarties for my SiL and some chocolate coins for the boys stockings. I also ordered online a harvester transporter Lego set for Wiggle and a box of socks from Oddsocks for my soon to be SiL, they are what they say on the box Ė odd socks! They all have a flamingo theme but each sock has a different pattern, she always wears odd socks so I thought they would be perfect for her.

Happy belated birthday freespirit! It sounds like you had a lovely day with your children and it's nice you got to spoil yourself a bit.

Hanckocks I was trying not to put too much plastic in party bags this year and one of the things I put in there that went down well was little envelopes with wildflower seeds in.

mandco well done to your DS on passing his test! Great idea with the car care kit, I have bought one for my brother as he is always worried about breaking down! What about things like a de-mister, ice scraper etc? When my friend passed her driving test I bought her a keyring that had the date she passed engraved on it. Oh and what about those tins of Ďtravel sweetsí? My parents always had those in the car!

nic Iím so sorry to hear youíve had a troubling time, please do keep coming on here and checking in, we are always here. I hope this new medication works for you. Sending big hugs xx

Welcome back alja, I remember you! Good to see you back.

noodles gosh you mentioning the ĎSeventeení range took me back to my youth too!

Hello and welcome heebie!
    • heebie-jeebies
    • By heebie-jeebies 9th Oct 19, 12:49 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 2,034 Thanks
    heebie-jeebies
    mandco a couple of ideas for your DS - a car first aid kit, a tyre compressor or what about a dash cam?
    • heebie-jeebies
    • By heebie-jeebies 9th Oct 19, 4:44 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 2,034 Thanks
    heebie-jeebies
    Have any of you come across sweet tubes? I always used to get a milkybar one for my nephew and I seem to recall a haribo one but haven’t seen them in any supermarket yet this year. My BIL doesn’t like chocolate and I’m hoping he’s going to spend Xmas day with us so I want to do him a stocking which means I need things to put in it!
    • alja
    • By alja 9th Oct 19, 4:52 PM
    • 819 Posts
    • 8,226 Thanks
    alja
    Alja never done that one but some ideas you could potentilly use.

Sight - picture frame so they can have a nice photo to look at
    - coloured kalaidoscope for a bit of fun
    - pocket mirror

Smell - scented candle
    - fruity bodywash
    - seeds to grow herbs

Touch - fidget cube/pen/gadget
    - stress ball

Sound - headphones for them to listen to their music
    - bluetooth speaker
    Originally posted by StokieBecks
    Thank you sooo much! You've got some great ideas there that I've not thought of
    Save £6k in 2019 - £4951/£6k #83
    • alja
    • By alja 9th Oct 19, 5:02 PM
    • 819 Posts
    • 8,226 Thanks
    alja
    Thank you princesskitty!

I spotted sloth bits in Sainsburys the other day...

And another vote for MUA makeup here, I love their bits. Cruelty free and really affordable too!

No more present buying just yet, but I'm off shopping with a friend at the weekend so I've written a list of bits to pick up. Both my parents have sent me their Christmas lists too as I requested them to help me get them the things they really want/need.
    Save £6k in 2019 - £4951/£6k #83
    • mandco
    • By mandco 9th Oct 19, 5:41 PM
    • 760 Posts
    • 9,891 Thanks
    mandco
    heebie-jeebies I've seen the small tubes of sweets this week in sainsburys and wilko so other places should have them soon.

aija the 5 senses idea sounds really good its not something I've done specifically before but I might have to give it a go

Sounds like some of you are doing well on the present front

Asda have started putting out xmas food not much today but picked up some large choc coins 59p for the kids stockings. They have some nice xmas themed mason jars £2 each.

Poundland have bags of mini toblerone for £1 this week reg or white choc

Got ds a torch first aid kit for his car hamper -thanks for the ideas for other things. also got him a hollister tshirt reduced to £4 from £19

flying tiger have been doing a £1 table and today they had loads of the tiger themed stationary items from the summer on it so got some for taz's stationary hamper also picked him up a tiger head pillow again £1
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • stirchleygirl
    • By stirchleygirl 9th Oct 19, 8:27 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    stirchleygirl
    hi all

id lik to jon

sory for the bad spelinining but im disabld and sufrinining a relaps so my ability to spel has gon to pot but hop yu can stil understand me

just spent last 9 hour redinining this thred from the start

as im curntly of work and mostly bedridn at the momnt im tryinining to mak the most of my carers not havinining to get me washd and dressd for work in the mornininings or undressd in the eve nininings so ovr the last few weks I got them to gathr all my gift stash boxs from arund the hows into a singl plac - my bedrom wer I can see them - and I didn't reliz id got so much stuff (things I by thru out the year usualy on offr - especly avon toyletris as the avon lady delivrs - I havnt ben able to go shopinining for years so getinining stuf delivrd is esental for me) or stuf that iv ben givn that I don't want or can no longr us du to my disability so im regiftiniining them)

iv don a 'file then save as' of last years spred sheet - this is esental as I hav memry problems so spred sheet helps me kep trak of hoo I ned to get gifts for what I got for them or ideas to get them how much iv budgetd for each person and wat I actaly spent I also coler cod it to show if I have the gift - if the gift has ben wrapd - if the gift has ben postd or givn to the person

with ther help iv alocatd gifts for nerly evryon on the list wich includes the birthdays and wed anivs that are in nov dec and jan so im doinining rely wel

im very tied now so ill post mor tomorow
    • lazysheep
    • By lazysheep 9th Oct 19, 9:37 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 3,878 Thanks
    lazysheep
    Yayyyyyy! Popsy in the wild!
    (Apologies If youíre not on the Facebook group it means hello fellow Popsy lover )
    Originally posted by Mrs_Ryan
    Me too *waves*
    • dropsofjupiter
    • By dropsofjupiter 9th Oct 19, 10:25 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 3,433 Thanks
    dropsofjupiter
    Went to a local farm shop today, with a whole floor dedicated to Christmas. Such beautiful things, even being a Ďzero-stuffí person I struggled not to purchase! Did see some bits for pressies though, but will have a think on them and buy in a couple of weeks - trying not to impulse buy!
    Originally posted by Beshki
    Oooo that sounds amazing, donít suppose itís anywhere near Shropshire?
    Hobnobs are like marines
    • Beshki
    • By Beshki 10th Oct 19, 4:49 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    Beshki
    Denstone Farm Shop
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 10th Oct 19, 7:16 AM
    • 2,771 Posts
    • 23,199 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    stirchleygirl - welcome!!
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16

Follow my diary HERE
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 10th Oct 19, 8:15 AM
    • 4,122 Posts
    • 18,357 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Thinking about making up some winter pamper kits as gifts, putting in hand cream, gloves, face mask, moisturiser, lip balm, scarf. Any other suggestions?
    A smile costs little but creates much
    • aimeemum
    • By aimeemum 10th Oct 19, 9:34 AM
    • 464 Posts
    • 1,961 Thanks
    aimeemum
    Thinking about making up some winter pamper kits as gifts, putting in hand cream, gloves, face mask, moisturiser, lip balm, scarf. Any other suggestions?
    Originally posted by Gettingtherequickly
    Scented candles? Chocolates? Eye mask?
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 10th Oct 19, 4:50 PM
    • 2,649 Posts
    • 36,189 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Hi everyone, Iím feeling so much better now, my legs have stopped being weak and shaky, itís so nice to get back to doing everyday things, and not having to rely on a stick. I donít know if itís the vitamins Iím taking or the extra calcium or losing some weight which has helped. My bloods came back fine and dr is happy with the results. Iíve got a few more Christmas food bits, shortbread, cheese straws, caramelised chutney, cranberry sauce. Iíve started a Brexit box and Iíve signed up to a Reverse Advent Calendar for our local foodbank, plus we have all started doing SW, I donít know whether Iím coming or going, with the foods for each separate thing Thank god I love lists

NIC Iím so sorry you have had a rough time of it recently, it will pass, just keep looking after yourself. Iíve just seen that you are feeling a bit brighter, keep your chin up!

MANDCO congratulations to DS on passing his test! Itís a relief because you donít have to keep being a taxi, but at the same time you worry when they are just a tiny bit late

NOODLES yes that usually is the way when you have money you canít find anything, and when you donít have money there is loads you want!
    CURRENTLY READING Trisha Ashley - A Good Heart is hard to find
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2019 £0.00
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2019- £160.00
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 10th Oct 19, 4:53 PM
    • 2,649 Posts
    • 36,189 Thanks
    freespirit66
    GETTINGTHEREQUICKLY all I can think of is a hot choc sachet or a bath bomb x
    CURRENTLY READING Trisha Ashley - A Good Heart is hard to find
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2019 £0.00
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2019- £160.00
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • CazD2008
    • By CazD2008 11th Oct 19, 6:02 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 4,235 Thanks
    CazD2008
    Hi All,
    Hope you are well. Nice to see that everyone is well underway with their Xmas prep!

Stirchleygirl - welcome! Stirchley is a village not to far from where I live too - any connection?

Iím in a bit of a panic. We have moved in to our new house this year and itís the first year I canít get away with not cooking Christmas dinner!

DH and I have been together for 14 years and every year Iíve managed to escape it as we didnít have the space! Anyway, heís invited his parents over this year and I have no idea where to start other than buying a turkey!

Iím not a great cook either, any tips? Recommended websites for cooking timelines etc?

Tia x
    • aimeemum
    • By aimeemum 11th Oct 19, 6:18 AM
    • 464 Posts
    • 1,961 Thanks
    aimeemum
    Hi All,
    Hope you are well. Nice to see that everyone is well underway with their Xmas prep!

Stirchleygirl - welcome! Stirchley is a village not to far from where I live too - any connection?

Iím in a bit of a panic. We have moved in to our new house this year and itís the first year I canít get away with not cooking Christmas dinner!

DH and I have been together for 14 years and every year Iíve managed to escape it as we didnít have the space! Anyway, heís invited his parents over this year and I have no idea where to start other than buying a turkey!

Iím not a great cook either, any tips? Recommended websites for cooking timelines etc?

Tia x
    Originally posted by CazD2008
    My advice would be to get yourself to M&S and buy their frozen pre-prepped veg, sides and puds.....Their roasties and parsnips are lovely and it will cut down the stress (not to mention the amount of dishes!) Everything then will go in the oven for the 30-40 minutes these things take to cook from frozen (which is when you have your bird resting, carve, set the table etc.....and that will mean you wont have to spend the entire day in the kitchen! You could even go one step further and cook your turkey in advance and then just re-heat the meat with the gravy over it to stop it drying out. Plus, if your MIL is anything like my Mum, the sight of M&S wrappers on the puds will make it look like you've made a massive effort and splashed out whereas in actual fact, you've just been 'efficient with your time' to quote my hubby!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

128Posts Today

1,814Users online

Martin's Twitter