Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Marcus
    • By MSE Marcus 7th Oct 19, 6:26 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 73Thanks
    MSE Marcus
    Forum Announcement
    • 7th Oct 19, 6:26 PM
    Forum Announcement 7th Oct 19 at 6:26 PM
    Dear MSE Forumites!

Im Marcus and Im the Editor-in-Chief at MoneySavingExpert.com.

I have some really important news to share with you and I hope you will all be as excited as we are here at MSE Towers.

MSE Forums began almost 17 years ago and has become one of the UKs biggest communities. Its a lively, active place to share everything from MoneySaving tips to the best slow-cooker recipes. Were incredibly proud of what you, the Forumites, have built, and see it as an invaluable part of our wider mission to help consumers.

For our regulars though, you will have noticed over the past few years that the bit we do the technology that supports our Forum - has been creaking at best, and completely broken at worst. Weve reached the stage where our present platform is simply unsustainable when it breaks, were not able to fix it.

We want your Forum to live for at least another 17 years.

So, weve made the big decision to significantly invest in a new platform which all of you will be moved across to. We aim to keep the best of the existing Forum, but tackle the frustrating bits that you tell us you dont like.

To be clear, some things will change. But staying as we are is not an option, and the alternative would be closing the MSE Forums which we have no intention of doing.

After many months of planning, research and an awful lot of meetings, weve found a new provider and work has started on the behind-the-scenes technology.

Your new platform will hopefully go live in early 2020. But in the meantime, we need your help! Were looking for a top team of Forumites to help us with the finishing touches, especially the look and feel of our new Forum. If youre interested in becoming a member (there may be a Badge!) of the Fab-Forumite Feature Testing Group, please let us know by registering your interest here

We realise some of you may feel apprehensive about all this. But closing the Forum simply wasnt an option to Martin, myself or the rest of MSE. That means, despite the challenges, were hoping you will embrace the new Forum.

As always, we welcome your constructive feedback and keep your eyes peeled for regular updates from me and the Forum Team over the coming weeks.

Marcus Herbert
    Editor-in-Chief, MoneySavingExpert.com
Page 4
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 9th Oct 19, 7:10 PM
    • 5,355 Posts
    • 6,143 Thanks
    robatwork
    I, for one, hate the new design forum.

And I've not even seen it yet.

(But seriously, keep the green style)
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 9th Oct 19, 7:12 PM
    • 31,434 Posts
    • 19,485 Thanks
    xylophone
    Just leave us with the green option - the blue/pink makes me feel bilious.
    • dontone
    • By dontone 9th Oct 19, 7:36 PM
    • 4,668 Posts
    • 15,585 Thanks
    dontone
    I don't think it's broken at all. I think it works perfectly fine.

BUT, please listen to some of us when we say that we like the old style green skin.
    The blue and white is hard to read, and some of us suffer with bad headaches when we try and use it.

Please give us the option to change it back if need be.

Some of us have been using this forum for a long time, please consider your long time members when implementing these changes. Thanks.
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, 250 Reward Your thirst, 500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin'
    • Marisco
    • By Marisco 9th Oct 19, 7:36 PM
    • 36,143 Posts
    • 111,412 Thanks
    Marisco
    Another vote for the green one
    • Vixxx666
    • By Vixxx666 9th Oct 19, 8:22 PM
    • 474 Posts
    • 9,397 Thanks
    Vixxx666
    I'd appreciate options to change the colours - some of us have difficulties with certain colours, for example. I struggle to read blue on white.

I currently use the old style forum.

Also, pleeeeaaase move the SPAM button away from the THANKS button!
    2013 - 86 | 2014 - 127 | 2015 - 39 | 2016 - 22 | 2017 - 10 | 2018 - 56 | 2019 - 12 wins
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 9th Oct 19, 8:23 PM
    • 41,195 Posts
    • 323,312 Thanks
    mjm3346
    I use the green style as I find it much easier on the eyes.

I don't like the showing of the first post of a thread on every page of the thread - doesn't matter too much when the first post is just a short sentence or two but is ridiculous if it's a "war and peace" one.

Form usernames should be restricted in length or dealt with in some way so they do not cause other columns to bunch up.
    Internet goodness 27169
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 9th Oct 19, 8:56 PM
    • 13,467 Posts
    • 16,363 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    This is the Green format:

This is the Blue format:

I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • J B
    • By J B 9th Oct 19, 9:15 PM
    • 3,524 Posts
    • 1,350 Thanks
    J B
    So, there we go, everyone seems keen to try an 'upgrade' as they are obviously unhappy with how it is at the moment!

• powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 9th Oct 19, 9:19 PM
    • 3,936 Posts
    • 5,963 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    It may look like it's running fine, but the forum system MSE is using is very old and outdated. This is a version of Vbulletin 3.8 which is no longer in development and uses very out dated technology such as php 5.3 (at a guess). The current version is 7.3 which this software will never support. Changing systems will mean a quicker, more secure and upgradeable experience going forward.

I've seen many forums go from Vbulletin 3.8 to other system and be styled to look exactly the same, but have all the benefits.
    • tgroom57
    • By tgroom57 10th Oct 19, 5:41 AM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 13,019 Thanks
    tgroom57
    I'd like to keep the green option and layout, too.

I'd like the search brought up to industry standard. Currently if I use the search string 06/10 -I get results for posts containing 06 and posts containing 10. Reported as 06,10 in the bar. Even when quotes are used (double or single) which is standard on every other search engine I use. Here / is treated as a delimiter.
    I want to be able to search for the 5 character string 06/10 without it being split into substrings.

If this isn't one of the improvements, then you're wasting your time.

• duncanthedog
    • By duncanthedog 10th Oct 19, 6:49 AM
    • 724 Posts
    • 1,642 Thanks
    duncanthedog
    If it is anything like the last major change (green to blue) then MSE will not listen to its forum members and just go ahead and do whatever they want to do and ignore ALL requests in spite of asking for members help.
    • GazHol
    • By GazHol 10th Oct 19, 8:42 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    GazHol
    Always start with UI requirements
    The recent MSE users poll gave an indication of the age distribution of site users, many are at the age where eyesight is no longer 20/20.

Why not hold some polls to gauge the priorities of forumites?
    e.g. device and orientation used, text size, top 3 actions, colours etc.

The screen layout must adapt from 4 portrait phone to 40+ widescreen monitor with the aim of minimising scrolling. It would be useful if the default size of the text of a post could be personalised independently of the poster info box (a single line post takes 50% of the vertical screen on my iPad Air in landscape mode) to allow the option of more posts per screen.

I use the green skin because of the (more) compact layout and it is easier on my eyes.
    • skinnylegs
    • By skinnylegs 10th Oct 19, 10:20 AM
    • 114 Posts
    • 1,540 Thanks
    skinnylegs
    Prefer green
    • troffasky
    • By troffasky 10th Oct 19, 10:28 AM
    • 191 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    troffasky
    Another vote for keeping the green style, or at least, a style that doesn't have low-contrast elements with acres of empty space between them [see post #67 for an example of this].
    • Spoonie Turtle
    • By Spoonie Turtle 10th Oct 19, 10:56 AM
    • 154 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    Spoonie Turtle
    Not on the 'new' (blue) forum layout. Existing members were able to keep the old green style which had it, but the current blue one doesn't and as a recent member I don't have access to the green one. So, no 'jump to first unread post' for me and the myriad other more recent members.
    Originally posted by Spoonie Turtle
    Aaaaaaahhhhh I've never been so happy to be wrong!!

It IS an option: in User CP >> Edit Options >> forum skin - New Masthead Fixed Width.

I think I actually prefer the blue one but for the 'jump to new post' feature I'll stick with green. It is a bit clunky, and I don't know why it's fixed width (would rather not!) but the new posts thing is a dealbreaker.

Also having the option to enlarge text size would be great - it's rather annoying having to zoom in all the time. It seems to have overridden my own browser preferences

If it's the same on the 'blue' version, for multi-quote click on the 'apostrophes' (next to the 'quote' button) for all the extra posts you want to include and the 'quote' button for the last post.
    Originally posted by kpwll
    Worked it out by accident! It's multi, multi, multi, then multi AND single quote on the last one you want to include. That's not a method I've used anywhere else.
    Last edited by Spoonie Turtle; 10-10-2019 at 11:00 AM.
    • Wanna Bee Free
    • By Wanna Bee Free 10th Oct 19, 2:33 PM
    • 1,445 Posts
    • 13,118 Thanks
    Wanna Bee Free
    Popping in to ask you to keep the old green look and feel and the low bandwidth. It's the only site I've been ok using on dodgy wifi abroad, MSE is easy to download.
    Please don't go for a clean, modern or white design. Please don't change the look and feel ( ok, the spam button moving is a good idea) while you do whatever you need to behind the scenes.
    Thank you.
    October 19th 79.45%through 2019 74 days remaining
    Save 12K in 2019 #12 - 8,000/12,000 66%
    Cutting Down Alcohol: 69/150 46%
    O2|S5|A7|J3|J5|M10|A13|M10|F6|J8
    2018:86|2017:106|2016:83
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 10th Oct 19, 3:04 PM
    • 13,467 Posts
    • 16,363 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Could we have floating/static buttons like on Digital Spy forums? Not their graphic design, though, which is very basic and bland.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 10th Oct 19, 6:25 PM
    • 9,209 Posts
    • 6,916 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    This is the Green format:

This is the Blue format:

Originally posted by Cornucopia
    So, there we go, everyone seems keen to try an 'upgrade' as they are obviously unhappy with how it is at the moment!

Originally posted by J B
    Could we have floating/static buttons like on Digital Spy forums? Not their graphic design, though, which is very basic and bland.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    For those who said not possible to multiquote , as for the green vs blue no-one is advocating red . However a lot of the Desktop/Tablet/Phone problems could be sorted with a little bit of investment on someone who understands css/css2/css3 . I have been keeping the green style since I joined with my friends on the techie forum helping out.
    I do have problems with being told that making fun of my own misfortune with my health, because it may upset other peoples sensibility , I had a stroke and made light of that, but was warned off because someone can't live with that or it may upset some other forumites who may have suffered the same. Sadly there were no comments to me from them(in the same boat) and I would have immediately removed my signature if they had, sadly someone threw a complaint to the board guides/mods/forum team and they removed it for me. Hey that's old news but many people seem to complain to the forum team rather than live together as a community.

Edited went back and checked cornucopia's sig and struck out the incorrect thing above. Thanks cornucopia I did really know what you're for
    Last edited by debitcardmayhem; 10-10-2019 at 6:30 PM.
    Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 10th Oct 19, 8:33 PM
    • 29,037 Posts
    • 16,146 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    I am still on the old format because i hated the newer format.
    • Marg2k8
    • By Marg2k8 10th Oct 19, 9:51 PM
    • 5,112 Posts
    • 200,449 Thanks
    Marg2k8
    could we please have the ability to view the competitions board by threads ticked, threads crossed or threads with neither?
    Originally posted by dan29

This......................

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

123Posts Today

1,872Users online

Martin's Twitter