Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 20th Jul 19, 3:10 PM
    • 216Posts
    • 745Thanks
    JennyJukes
    Saving for..?
    • 20th Jul 19, 3:10 PM
    Saving for..? 20th Jul 19 at 3:10 PM
    I'm not quite sure yet! But I would like to stop wasting money and be more accountable with it!

A little bit of background context:

I'm 26 and live alone with no family around me. I left an abusive relationship 2 years ago and became homeless. I spent most of my then 8000 savings, some necessary some not. I went on several holidays and outings, bought a nice computer, furnished a property I got and bought myself a whole new wardrobe. Sometimes I feel guilty at the amount of money I spent but a lot of it was a coping mechanism. I am now in a much more stable and happy situation and would like to start being more accountable with my money.

I recently moved, having been placed in the roughest council estate of my town and the anti-social behaviour was really bad. I am nearing the end of my biggest debt so I put it towards renting a nicer property. Not MSE but so much better for my mental health!

I am also in a new relationship. My partner is here on a study visa for the next 1-2 years. After that, who knows? Maybe he'll get a job here, maybe we'll move somewhere else, maybe we won't be together. As such, I have no idea where my life is going to take me in the next few years so I don't want to commit to anything but I also want to be prepared because life has taught me it doesn't always work out the way I plan!

Until then, my goals are to:

1) Stick to budgets and save the rest.
    2) Get a better paying and more stable job.
    3) Only buy what I can afford - no more financing/debt. Save for what I want.
    4) Have fun with my money! I don't want to lambaste myself for having an occasional treat.
    5) Learn to cook more and bake.. at all

I'm going to pop up a SOA in a bit and would love if anyone could point out where I could be saving or maximising my savings. I also sometimes see people my age (and younger) being married, owning homes, having families etc and feel a little bit bad about it so if anyone could tell me that I'm doing fine too that would be a massive help

Thanks for reading (or at least allowing me the bandwidth to post my dull life )
Page 7
    • bestlifenow
    • By bestlifenow 29th Sep 19, 7:56 AM
    • 171 Posts
    • 832 Thanks
    bestlifenow
    Hope you're having a great weekend, JennyJukes
    DFW October Make 10 a day challenge 197.30/310

PAYDBX 2019 #008 8094/8094 0 to go
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 29th Sep 19, 5:35 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 745 Thanks
    JennyJukes
    I love scented everything savingswannabe! I also use scented iron water!!

I had a great weekend bestlifenow - boyfriend and I cooked some honey & soy stirfry at the weekend then went for some ribs before going to the cinema. We picked some sweets and chocolate up from the store to avoid the extortionate cinema prices. Back home now and it's so cold without my boyfriend - he is very, very warm so saves me on heating bills!! (Also helps me clean up so saves me time!!)

Now time to catch up on my bank and the damage done. Boyfriend & I took turns in paying but he kept paying all the expensive bills - I really wish he would let me treat him!! Especially as he's a student. I have suggested we get a joint account where we put in 50/50 money so we can spend and not feel guilty. He said he will think about it. Whilst I do struggle with money and being able to save a substantial amount, I did enjoy being able to spend my money on treating myself/us instead of just paying bills and saving money.

Groceries: 25.03/25
    Petrol: 20/55
    Entertainment: 15.18/60

Well I'm over the groceries slightly and would have been even more but boyfriend paid for some and paid for lunch. I'll probably need to up my groceries to 30-35 now to include him. Next week I don't really need much as I have quite a bit of meals to last me so just bits and bobs. Nothing into savings this week!
    Emergency Fund: 2262.16/3000
    Deposit Fund: 7084.95
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 29th Sep 19, 6:19 PM
    • 14,217 Posts
    • 47,680 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I am so glad you enjoyed yourself. You are perfectly entitled to not save when there is a special occasion. lol.
    Christmas Fund 248 No spend month?
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 2nd Oct 19, 4:14 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 745 Thanks
    JennyJukes
    Hello all

It's getting so cold!!

I have had a super busy day today, meetings, clients, meeting with my new boss to sort out some paperwork etc. He told me I would be getting an induction and training so I'm feeling a bit better now knowing that I will get some training.

I'm having some issues with my boiler. I noticed yesterday the kitchen and bathroom radiator were on even when the heating wasn't?!?!! Then I couldn't get the heating to go on this morning at all and have to keep resetting the thermostat. Ugh. The heating is on but I feel like the thermostat is incorrect because the temperature isn't going up even with the heating on?? I'm out of my depth with this. My landlord is arranging for someone to come out to do appliance checks so I'm going to ask him about it.

I also contacted my energy company re my smart meter not showing my usage and them sending me estimated readings. They said they would arrange for someone to come out and replace the meter at no extra cost then I said okay cool then he said okay bye so uh... is that going to happen? How? When? Ugh!!

Anyway... managed to get a big payment from one study on prolific. 3.97 plus a 4.20 bonus! Have cashed out 13.26 and added to my savings. My breakdown cover and road tax renewed this month too though so I'm a bit more out of pocket than I thought!

Travelling to bfs this weekend so on one hand petrol and bus fare but on the other I get to use his heating for free because it's included in his rent We don't have much planned. Was hoping my vouchers would be here by now so we could spend them - I did miss a signed parcel post today so will pick up tomorrow but don't think it's them as they said they would send it tracked and keep me updated. Annoying. Anyway:

Groceries: 6.37/25
    Last edited by JennyJukes; 02-10-2019 at 4:16 PM.
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 3rd Oct 19, 9:04 AM
    • 216 Posts
    • 745 Thanks
    JennyJukes
    Oof! What an expensive day!

6.60 to send recorded delivery Edinburgh to London!!! I guess it would be cheaper if it wasn't this "next day delivery guaranteed" but he didn't give me all my options, just the most expensive one I guess! Plus I bought milk for the office which said 79p on the label but checking my receipt they charged 2.79!! Bloody Post Office is ridiculous.

I did receive my SuperDry vouchers though!!!!!! The 200 came in full on one card though instead of two 100 vouchers and I told my colleague I would give her half - looks like I need to spend 100 of it then give her the card. So I will spend my 100 this weekend, hopefully there's a sale on so I can get multiple items. Will get bf a shirt as he bought a new one and it ripped first day!!

I also need to get lunch today as I don't have so more money. I don't mind the spending when needed and as a treat but I do mind getting ripped off and scammed

Almost the weekend, almost the weekend..
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 3rd Oct 19, 3:14 PM
    • 14,217 Posts
    • 47,680 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Im so glad that your vouchers have come. They took ages. Don't forget to treat yourself as well from them.

Well done on meeting your new boss and finding out about training and paperwork.

Oh dear about the boiler - the temperature has taken a tumble and having it all tickety boo is so important. I hope it is sorted v soon.

One day left for a lovely weekend I hope.
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 3rd Oct 19, 4:16 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 745 Thanks
    JennyJukes
    I got the boiler and thermostat fixed thanks to the internet. I'm young but I find myself finding all the new technology harder and harder tbh. Got myself some chicken tandoori and pitta for lunch and it filled me right up so just some scrambled eggs on toast for tea later.

Groceries: 10.37/25

Barely needed groceries this week. I have lunch and tea for tomorrow, will just need to pick up some bits for Saturday with bf. BF goes to get his own bank account next week and he wants me to help him budget and give him money saving tips
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 3rd Oct 19, 7:23 PM
    • 14,217 Posts
    • 47,680 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    It'll be great if you can get boyfriend on the MSE wagon. Twice the fun and an accountability partner which will be really encouraging.
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 6th Oct 19, 6:23 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 745 Thanks
    JennyJukes
    Well Sunday and time to count the pennies after another weekend with BF.

He went to the cinema Friday which was paid for by friends then we met up later and chilled. Saturday we went to spend some of the SuperDry vouchers I won. I got a very fluffy warm hoody and jeans and bought bf some jogger bottoms. Very good quality clothing but nothing I could ever justify paying for!!
    We then went for lunch, my turn to pay and it was 14.95 - we had a sharing plate of a mixture from Tony Macaroni's. Wasn't the best tbh. Just got tap water to wash it down with for free. Then went to Sainsburys for some groceries 8.05 for a few bits! I'm glad I don't live in the city as that would buy me several meals!! We made some chicken pasta with pesto back home and it was lovely!!
    I was also naughty and bought some coffee and cake before I met bf on the Friday for 2.25
    Also got some petrol before I left too @ 20.01

I did request 3 from topcashback and have 8 odd pending in prolific. I got a 7 study whilst bf was doing his coursework studying so I was being productive too!

Now let's see..

Groceries: 20.67/25
    Petrol: 40.01/55
    Entertainment: 30.13/60

Still within budgets with 2 weeks to go until payday so well chuffed. I do sometimes feel a little bad spending money but as long as I stay in budget I should allow myself a little.

Have added the 4.33 leftover grocery budget into savings.
    Unsure if BF and I have plans for next weekend but for now I got the washing on, the heating on (it was 14.5 when I got back - bfs accommodation is SO warm!), eating chips and catching up on the soaps!
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 7th Oct 19, 5:34 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 745 Thanks
    JennyJukes
    Gonna be a boring week for tea time meals! All I have bought in is mince and chicken, the chicken I can be versatile with but mince I will probably just make more spag bol as that went pretty good. I need to get some veg for that.

Spent 2.72 in Morrisons getting discounted rolls and salad, as well as ham. Then free teabags curtousy of a voucher BF gave me, he knows me well
    Then 11.22 in Aldi.

Do still need to get quite a bit foodwise espec if BF and I are cooking this weekend.

Groceries: 13.94/25

After all the hard work I've done trying to save I really don't want to service my car. It will help knowing my car is safer to drive and keep me going until my next MOT where I'll be in a better position to buy a new second hand car but... I don't like garages. Might bite the bullet and put it in somewhere next week when I have done all my handovers at work and just doing paperwork in the office.
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 9th Oct 19, 5:41 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 745 Thanks
    JennyJukes
    Boring, boring, boring. Well, not really. Had a hectic week telling clients I'm leaving and getting treated like I'm abandoning them. Hate how I'm treated all the time I hope my next job isn't like that. I don't know I'm feeling so weird about a lot of things in my life I'm fed up I feel like I'm always waiting for my life to start but I know also it already has and I need to be taking life by the .. balls ..

BF coming this weekend but he has to study a lot so will be sat at home most the time. Bought some black pudding for him to try, haggis next time

Add 6.24 groceries so probably going to go above my budget this week as we are cooking again but at least as we are staying in the entertainment budget will balance that out, might just have a cafe lunch or something but will be well under budget. BF signed up for a bank account he's just waiting for his bank card but I don't think we'll be able to have a joint account anyway as he's an immigrant and atm can only get a student one. So we'll need to figure out how our money is going to work cause currently we kinda just fight each other to pay and I would rather something a little more balanced. Anyhoo

Groceries: 20.18/25

Busy week this week and next not sure I'll get under my petrol budget either. For my new job I need to travel a few days the first week for my induction but I think I'm going to get a train as don't want to drive that far with the state my car is in so that's going to be a bit of an expense. Still not quite sure what to expect from my new job, at least I won't be able to complain about being bored lol.
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 9th Oct 19, 6:45 PM
    • 2,378 Posts
    • 2,807 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    New jobs are always nerve racking, having to get to know new people, suss out where everything is, adjust to new systems and the way everyone works, but after a few days it all starts coming together, after a few months you wonder why you never changed roles sooner

If you do go over budget this week, try and go under budget a quid or two for the next month or so. You know it happens occasionally.

Your new life has started, it's just warming up and soon it will be endless days of sunshine!
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 10th Oct 19, 4:46 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 745 Thanks
    JennyJukes
    Yes I got my contract today which was really long and scary. Everything seems to be in order though but like every other charity it's dependent on funding, so my job could end July next year (or even earlier!) I hope I get treated well and respected and not just flung to the side. It's so difficult being on your own not having the security of someone else's job! More reason to save, save, save and network and do well.

Well I don't know where my head is lately but it really needs to sort itself out soon! Today I drove 15 miles to my training just to then read my emails (after wondering why no-one was there!) and realising I was 6 days early!!! How!!! I had to cancel my attendance next week as I have something else in now... I couldn't find my cold meat in my fridge so thought I had left it at work - nope, turns out I had left it in my car from the previous day!!! So I had to then go and get cold meat from the shop for my lunch. Great, I'll pick up the creme fraiche that I forgot as I need it for tea tonight. Well.. guess what.. I forgot that at work when I went home so had to buy more! My manager checked and the expiry date is the 20th so I can pick it up when next in the office and hopefully use it next week. Doh!

So that was another 4.80!!! added to my grocery budget. I had to also pick up some carpet freshener as my car carpet got wet and really stinks.

Groceries: 24.98/25

So yep, I wasted petrol travelling to a non-existent training then had to spend almost the rest of my grocery budget because I keep forgetting things lately!! I don't know whats going on with me.

Definitely going to be over my grocery budget this week unless BF gets in there and shoves money to the cashier which is likely. He has his bank card but hasn't deposited money yet and doesn't have his pin number yet. We really need to sort something out regarding how we split our money when buying groceries or going out together. I would like to maybe go for lunch on Sunday with bf, a small cafe or something so at least I have some in my entertainment budget. BF and I also occasionally smoke so I have to admit (it's the only way I'll be held accountable for my money!!) that will be going into entertainment budget this week too... We split a packet and generally once its smoked that's us for another few months. We only really drink for special occasions and neither of us have expensive hobbies, we just like to eat out sometimes, go to the cinema and cook together.

I did cash out a 7 from prolific so that softens the blow a little Also found out that there is more people than I thought coming to my leaving lunch next Friday, even travelling for it so that does make me feel a little better as I am, as always, the quiet one at work so didn't think anyone would want to come as it will probably be a bit boring but... they all love food so probably won't miss the chance There was the choice of a lunch time work lunch or an after-work get together but the latter would result in me getting home at 4am again wearing a princess crown and 60 lighter so saving some money doing it at lunch time as we all have to go back to work so no drinks. Though who knows, some of them can be very convincing and I might be back out after work for a few...
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 10th Oct 19, 5:41 PM
    • 14,217 Posts
    • 47,680 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Bless you for having the mix ups. It's easily done when you are doing so much and the moving jobs, being so busy it is understandable. Lol. It happens to all of us.

Hurrah for your contract- that gives you some certainty which is great. The food bill is fine as you are eating nice food.
    I think your spending will sort itself out but it's great you are still earning from Prolific. In the summer I will try some of these things!

Glad lots of people are going to your leaving do, you have obviously had a big impact on them.
    • pinknsparkly
    • By pinknsparkly 10th Oct 19, 7:10 PM
    • 433 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    pinknsparkly
    At least you were 6 days early rather than 6 days late?? That's what I tell myself when I've done that (embarrassingly, I've had to tell myself that more than once ) I've also had to stop picking up yellow sticker foods on my lunch break as I invariably leave them at work and then they're gone off by the time I'm next in, which isn't very MSE

Sounds like you'll have a fab leaving do, with lots of people wanting to celebrate your new job with you!
    MFW 2019 challenge #99: 8174 / 6,000 (4671 is in "offset" pot)
    MFiT-T5 (Jan 2019 - Jan 2022) challenge #99: 7483 / 30,000
    Save 12k in 2019 challenge #99: 21,357 / 12,000
    2019 keep moving challenge: 469 / 1000 miles
    Last updated: 10/10/2019
    Initial MF date (18th Dec 2018): Jan 2054 Current MF date: Jun 2052
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 13th Oct 19, 8:15 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 745 Thanks
    JennyJukes
    Oh goodness, hello

Recovering from a naughty naughty weekend. Bf and I had a minor tiff and in my typical I-can't-deal-with-emotions fashion, I messaged my longest known friend to hang out so I could get drunk and forget it. Bf and I made up and decided we'd still go out and meet her and her bf.

I'm v happy with how it went, they got on well with bf so v pleased and her bf seemed really nice too

I did check my bank to make sure I had enough for next week for petrol, food and my spotify bill. Old me would have transferred a 3-figure sum from my savings just for that one night but I made sure to have fun but keep enough for bills and no touching savings.. . We had a great night but can't believe I used to do this every weekend! A couple quiet weekends now I think. It should definitely calm down when I start my next job (one more week to go!) and have to work some weekends (boo). So here goes...

Groceries: 28.13/25
    Entertainment: 92.78/60

Just checking though, I have saved 324.09 this payday and haven't taken any out so a girl can have a little fun right
    I will! get that car service booked in probably the following weekend, it is due at the end of this month so I will get that booked asap and say goodbye to this months savings most likely
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 13th Oct 19, 8:34 PM
    • 14,217 Posts
    • 47,680 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hello Jenny, I'm biased as you are our friend. You are perfectly entitled to enjoy yourself so well done that you met up with friends.

You are going to be spending on the car which I think is an investment. I am sure you will make up your savings the month afterwards.

Wishing you good luck with the new job. have a good week.
    • pinknsparkly
    • By pinknsparkly 14th Oct 19, 10:54 AM
    • 433 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    pinknsparkly
    Yeay, I'm so glad your friends love bf as much as you do! Very well done on having a good time without wiping out your monthly savings I'm actually doing the opposite of you and really trying to make more of an effort to meet up with friends, whilst keeping it as cheap as possible. I have friends scattered all over the country (as a result of having moved away from parents and uni) and actually don't have many friends locally. I definitely think spending time with friends and loved ones is super important, it's just keeping a lid on the costs that's the problem
    MFW 2019 challenge #99: 8174 / 6,000 (4671 is in "offset" pot)
    MFiT-T5 (Jan 2019 - Jan 2022) challenge #99: 7483 / 30,000
    Save 12k in 2019 challenge #99: 21,357 / 12,000
    2019 keep moving challenge: 469 / 1000 miles
    Last updated: 10/10/2019
    Initial MF date (18th Dec 2018): Jan 2054 Current MF date: Jun 2052
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 14th Oct 19, 11:06 AM
    • 216 Posts
    • 745 Thanks
    JennyJukes
    pinknsparkly I live 200 miles from my friends and family after having moved here for an ex bf and deciding to stay so I know the feeling of not being able to see friends. This friend lives in the capital city where bf also stays which is about an hour on the bus but still closer than seeing my family and other friends who I only see once or twice a year. Next stop will be taking bf there in January hopefully to meet all my family. So yes getting a pay rise but then it will be BF's birthday november.. 3/4 nephews birthdays nov-december, christmas, taking bf to family... has to be done though and once it's done it's done.. then it'll be my turn to meet his at some point
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 14th Oct 19, 5:22 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 745 Thanks
    JennyJukes
    Groceries: 12.19/25
    Petrol: 54.97/55
    Entertainment: 92.78/60

I think I can get away with no more groceries until I get paid on Friday. Then I will be spending my money on a lunch meal with work!! Next week I have to travel (train or bus, whatevers cheapest) for my training induction. So it's going to be tight next month too but this is why I got a new job in the first place.

Oh and I got that service booked for payday too! Goodbye money!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

153Posts Today

1,997Users online

Martin's Twitter