Thomas Cook - what you need to know - MSE News

Comments

• Thanks for the info, MSE.

I'm supposed to be flying tomorrow (package through Travel Republic which includes Thomas Cook flights) and noted on the article that you mentioned 'If you hadn't started your trip when it stopped trading, you'd get a full refund (or in some cases a replacement holiday instead).' Can you elaborate on what the circumstances are where you might get a replacement holiday?
  • aabs
    aabs Posts: 46 Forumite
    Some good deals on Thomas Cooks website for obvious reasons.
    Seriously considering making a package holiday booking for later this year. Going to purchase online by CC and hopefully more customers will take advantage of the current deals and help keep the business afloat and a lot of TC employees in work:money:
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,842
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Crikey Bananas, it sounds as though your contract is with Travel Republic, not TC itself. If the airline failed, it would be up to Travel Republic to source alternative flights, if they could not then they would have to offer you an alternative holiday to a different destination or a full refund. If you are travelling tomorrow, I wouldn't worry too much
  • niceday999
    niceday999 Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    edited 20 September 2019 at 8:29PM
    Booked flights and hotel separately ( first time ever ) flights with Thomas Cook and booked directly with the hotel ( gran oasis in Tenerife) I used my credit card - Halifax clarity , and paid for the flights out right but on booking hotel was only asked for £200 deposit and to Pay the remainder on arrival ..
    if Thomas cook goes bust I will claim off my credit card for the flights . Can anyone advise me whst Will happen with hotel booking ?
    We are due to fly out 4 Oct 2019
  • We fly with TC next weekend (flight only) and notice our flights are with SmartLynx, a TC fleet partner.
    Does anyone have an understanding of whether these partner flights would be jeopardised by TC administration, or unaffected?
    I am unable to find a definitive answer as to their ownership.
    TIA.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,923
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    niceday999 wrote: »
    Booked flights and hotel separately ( first time ever ) flights with Thomas Cook and booked directly with the hotel ( gran oasis in Tenerife) I used my credit card - Halifax clarity , and paid for the flights out right but on booking hotel was only asked for £200 deposit and to Pay the remainder on arrival ..
    if Thomas cook goes bust I will claim off my credit card for the flights . Can anyone advise me whst Will happen with hotel booking ?
    We are due to fly out 4 Oct 2019

This is covered on the updated MSE feature under “What about separate hotels, car hire etc - are they protected?”

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/09/thomas-cook-seeking-p200m-extra-funding-/?_ga=2.70862999.604875785.1540842026-1344478144.1443270551
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,923
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    leighduffy wrote: »
    We fly with TC next weekend (flight only) and notice our flights are with SmartLynx, a TC fleet partner.
    Does anyone have an understanding of whether these partner flights would be jeopardised by TC administration, or unaffected?
    I am unable to find a definitive answer as to their ownership.
    TIA.

Unfortunately your flight would indeed be affected should TC collapse into administration.

The SmartLynx flight aircraft/flight is leased by TC to operate a flight series on their behalf.

I would refer to the updated MSE report for how issues with TC could impact flight only bookings.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/09/thomas-cook-seeking-p200m-extra-funding-/?_ga=2.70862999.604875785.1540842026-1344478144.1443270551
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,842
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    The good news this morning is that TC flights are operating as normal!
  • I know nothing about how some of these companies emalgimate, so can someone tell me if Thomas Cook's collapse will effect those that have holidays booked with Tui next year. I have a wedding and holiday booked with Tui. I can't find any direct information on this and I need to know either way for obvious reasons. If anyone can help, much appreciated.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,288
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Tui is a completely different company , no links
    I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Shopping and Freebies, Phones and TV and Over 50s boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing . All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure